Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finding out that the 6 point has a huge BB shell so you can't use normal cranks it looks like the lightest :eekster: non ISIS crankset will be Saints (why, oh why have they put such a huggggggggggge BB shell on this frame?)

So I was wondering, what length cranks should I go for 170mm or 175mm? I normally go for 175's, however I have read some comments about BB height so is it worth getting 170's? and learning to spin?

·
Just another FOCer
1,371 Posts
I run 175 mm Saints on my 7Point. It works fine for me.

I used to run 170 mm FSA cranks, but the crank arms ended up being the same length as the 175mm Saints. (The pedal hole was just 5 mm closer to the bb end.)

Hopefully some of the 6Point riders will chime in soon.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
they use the oversize BB shell because it's better. It obviates some of the disadvantages of ISIS, so you might want to reconsider crossing those off your list.

as for crank length, no one can answer that for you. I've never found 5mm to make a difference in pedal strikes, but maybe you will. I do notice [in a bad way] the shorter cranks in climbing, but maybe they'll work for you.

if you want advice you should at the very least tell us your height, inseam, frame size, what type of riding you'll be doing and pedaling style.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am 6'2" inseam around 34" with a 19" frame, ISIS is a really bad idea in the UK the mud and grit seems to kill the BB's in weeks, rather than months.

175 I reckon is my best bet, as I want something that can climb as well as descend

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
I run 170mm cranks on all my dw*link bikes....I was hitting my pedals on my MK with 175's so I decided to try out some 170's..happy I did. now when I exit corners I can start pedalling much sooner. Also more clearance over rock gardens and roots. my $0.02 worth

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
RichC said:
I am 6'2" inseam around 34" with a 19" frame, ISIS is a really bad idea in the UK the mud and grit seems to kill the BB's in weeks, rather than months.

175 I reckon is my best bet, as I want something that can climb as well as descend
ISIS for 73 or 63mm shells uses way too small bearings which is what causes fast wear, the howetzer isis BB that came with my 7. has external bearings which should not wear as fast. Like I said the big shell obviates most of the problems with ISIS. feel free to ignore.

·
Registered
788 Posts
170mm all the way ! I tagged my pedals hard on rocks each time I went out. The 6Point blows through the mid travel really quick with the DHX-Air shock and your pedals will get LOW. If your planning on getting a coil shock then you can get away with the 175's easier .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my GF SKF ISIS is doing OK, but to tell the truth I really cn't be bothered with them, the bearing are far to small and I am hard on kit, so getting something I know is weak never seems like a good idea.

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
For those of you running FSA Gravity Light...did you have a tough time getting the granny ring to work? I bought a set for my AS-X and when I mounted my Race Face rings, there wasn't enough room for the chain to stay on the granny ring, it rubbed against the big ring. Went back to my Holzfeller's and it worked fine.

Maybe the set I got are the single ring version. If I get a chance I'll take a picture for you guys.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
Nagaredama said:
For those of you running FSA Gravity Light...did you have a tough time getting the granny ring to work? I bought a set for my AS-X and when I mounted my Race Face rings, there wasn't enough room for the chain to stay on the granny ring, it rubbed against the big ring. Went back to my Holzfeller's and it worked fine.

Maybe the set I got are the single ring version. If I get a chance I'll take a picture for you guys.
nope...

170mm Gravity light and 128mm platinum DH pro BB

on mine I have the e13 backplate mounted behind the driveside BB shell and I'm also sing a 1mm spacer in front of the backplate. works great! without the 1mm spacer the chain was rubbing on my e13 backplate when in the granny gear.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
Nagaredama said:

i had that problem also. a 1mm spacer took care of it.

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Acadian:
The chain cleared the BB mounted DRS backplate no problem. There wasn't enough space between the granny and middle ring.

sriracha:
I'll give that a try. What kind of spacer did you use?

Thanks for the help guys!

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
Nagaredama said:
The chain won't go on the granny gear because there isn't enough room between the granny and middle ring.
what spider do you have on those cranks? you should take a pic for us if you can...sounds like you need to space out (or in in this case) your granny

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
Nagaredama said:
sriracha:
I'll give that a try. What kind of spacer did you use?

Thanks for the help guys!
oh, i missunderstood what you were talking about. sounds like your issue is with the raceface chainrings on the FSA cranks. if i understand correctly, you need to put some small washers between the granny gear and the crank arm spider.

i had some clearance issues with my granny gear and the bolts on my blackspire chainguide. i found a 1mm bottombracket spacer in my schwag pile and used it between the BB and frame...problem solved.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.