Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the opportunity for my first ride on the pack. Not really what I had envisioned as my first ride but it was good fun. I took the family out for a MTB experience at a local 700+ acre park for a 3 mile loop around one of the lakes. It is an easy route with a warm up on the paved trail to the lake and little technical aspects and no sustained climbs. It was perfect for my 3yr olds first MTB and trail-a-bike experience, my 5 yr olds first solo trail experience and my wife's return to the trails after a 12 yr hiatus. Maybe she needs a Turner - anyone have a small XCE or Burner for sale?? The weather was not very spring like for the south with the high for the day at 50 degrees and windy, so every one was bundled up. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

The ride on the pack was great and I really liked the fit of the small frame. I ran a 90x5 Thomson with a 685mm 1.5" rise bar and think I will stick with that setup for the trails and use my 70x0 for any thing more "extreme". Final build weight was 34.5 lbs which is .3lbs heavier than my Moment with the only major component change being the cranks (RF Deus vs. old XT). Anyone have a 600lb Ti spring for the DHX???? The bike pedaled great even with the 50 extra pounds hanging off the back even though my front derailleur was AFU. I did the setup of the derailleurs the night before at 1am after what might have been a few too many Sweetwaters!! I set the DHX up similar to the way I had it on the Moment with 170psi, 1 full turn out on the bottom out, 5 clicks of PP, 6 clicks of rebound and 2 full turns of preload.

Wifey-poo and the oldest by the lake

Me and the Boyz!

Snack time

<o:p></o:p>

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
BWA!

dude, i totally respect the family biking scene (cute kids!), but it's fakkin' hilarious that your first ride on the pack was with a trail-a-bike.

u r 1 extreme mtn dude (dad) :p

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tappoix said:
BWA!

dude, i totally respect the family biking scene (cute kids!), but it's fakkin' hilarious that your first ride on the pack was with a trail-a-bike.

u r 1 extreme mtn dude (dad) :p
My other option was a day at the zoo - I'll take trails anyday, anyhow.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tscheezy said:
You *may* void the warranty taking the bike outside it's intended purpose like that. Lucky for you Turner is usually cool about this sort of thing...
Surely is a testamony for the srtength of a Thomson post!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
nice ride

Sure would like to help you BETA test that bad-boy. What you doing next Saturday afternoon?

Bring it up and we'll ride the backyard course, then onto Lake Russell for some technical Singletrack. You'll have that thing broke-in after just a few hours.

Congrats :cool:

PS - are you sure about the XC racing cranks :confused:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Looking forward to a hammered out ride report next. Nice to see the family out with you and the area looks very nice.
Quetion about your build up, how tall are you, weight and such? For me a 90deg stem is to long, Im using a 70 at it feels good, I put on a 50 for grins the other day and the Pack feels real playfull, I almost want to leave it that way! The climbing might suffer but with fat arse I cant climb anyway :D

I have a 600# spring now, feels a bit to harsh on the small stuff, but I havent played with the shock yet. I weigh about 2 bills. (with the "about" probably going over)

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
t66 - We'll be at 6 flags next sat. Maybe put that ride off for a week or 2. I might take the wife and kids to the Helen FTF for a little camping and riding the second weekend in May. Saturdays are normally bad for me with spring T-ball too!

Drumstix - 5' 7.5" tall but I have a longish torso if that is possible. 220lbs w/o gear (and dropping winter hibernation weight:) ).

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
LOL! (Adorable)

That shocked the heck out of me as I started reading about the 3yr old and I saw the older one riding w/o training wheels I was thinking Geeezus! a 2wheeler at 3yrs old??? Get that kid a freakin' contract! Nice family jaunt. My 7yr old's bike has a weird headtube so our trail-gator won't attach (hee-hee) a nice way to get her to ride stairs un-assisted. But she really helped me get up those hills:D .

I'm all too familiar with midnight wrenching.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
SSINGA said:
Drumstix - 5' 7.5" tall but I have a longish torso if that is possible. 220lbs w/o gear (and dropping winter hibernation weight:) ).
That makes sence, your about 1 inch taller than I so the 20mm longer stem is about right, and the 70mm would be like a 50mm for me.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2TurnersNotEnough said:
My favorite part of the pictures was seeing the little Camelbacks on the kids.

The Sixer looks great! Great to see the family out there!
The kids love those things! I saw a new Camelback Mini Mule at REI a few weeks ago I might get to replace my 5 yr olds. That way he can carry his own snacks!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Great shots of the kids :) I miss those days. I also miss SUMMERTIME!

I remember drinking beer at 0200 on a buddy's deck in Georgia -- IN MARCH! It was 70 degrees -- yeah, it's getting better here in Maine but those shots are pure "lazy, hazy".

Props for puttin' the crumb snatchers first. :D

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CrashTheDOG said:
Man I'm really diggin' the orange frame.
I had a hard time deciding on the color. I had thought about the bright green just to be different. I really dig Shanedog's yellow RFX and then Terminaut posted pics of his orange RFX and that pushed me over the edge. Maybe I need a Yellow Flux!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.