Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Renegade said:
For those less fortunate who cannot mount their dhx-a upside down, yes, everyone else has to put a notch in their left rocker to accomodate the air filler valve.
I started out with it mounted upside down, but I assumed it could be mounted right side up as I had seen plenty of pictures that way. So I figured a little material shaved off the rocker (around the air valve) wouldn't be missed. No big deal either way, but being mounted right side up is a littler easier to adjust the propedal and rebound.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Paul5s said:
Hey SSINGA have you got carbon cranks on the Pack-o-Lantern?
I might have forgotten to mention that little upgrade!! :cool:

A very nice addition that allowed me to keep my Xgen Front derailleur that I could not get aligned right with the RF Deus.

NCbiker - I turned it so I did not have to notch the rockers and this way I have easy access to the air valves which I adjust more than the rebound or PP.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
I thought the rockers are notched for clearance from the factory, no?
Mine had a tiny notch that would just barely make room for the valve stem. There was no way to get a shock pump on it. I opened the notch up a little bit more on the rocker and did some grinding on the valve on the shock pump to make it an easy fit.

I suspect the original notch was done at the shop I bought the frame from, not at turner.

IN any event, it sounds like that issue is not unique to my bike.

·
Registered
730 Posts
So c'mon then SSINGA spill the beans, which ones did you get? Mini review? ;)

Been looking myself but can't decide if carbon cranks are a good idea or a bad one :eek:/ Am I going to total them whacking, err {edit} carressing {/end edit} them on rocks and stuff? ;)

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
ncbiker said:
Mine had a tiny notch that would just barely make room for the valve stem. There was no way to get a shock pump on it. I opened the notch up a little bit more on the rocker and did some grinding on the valve on the shock pump to make it an easy fit.

I suspect the original notch was done at the shop I bought the frame from, not at turner.

IN any event, it sounds like that issue is not unique to my bike.
If your notch has the black finish on it, it's from the factory. The rockers on my Flux have the same notch and are finished. They have plenty of clearance to allow a shock pump on.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Paul5s said:
So c'mon then SSINGA spill the beans, which ones did you get? Mini review? ;)

Been looking myself but can't decide if carbon cranks are a good idea or a bad one :eek:/ Am I going to total them whacking, err {edit} carressing {/end edit} them on rocks and stuff? ;)
Since NCbiker has resolved his issue I will hi-jack his thread.

FSA Mega Exo Carbon. I knew they had some serious bling-factor because FoShizzle bought a set. I talked to Larry about them because I was worried about durability also, plus Squeak and Tscheezy are running them so how bad can they be. I lucked out and found a set on e-bay with a crazy low "buy it now" price and snagged them (if I could just find a similar deal on the Easton CNT carbon bar now).

The quality is higher than that of the Race Face they replaced. The BB is smoother and I get a much better chainline now. The directions that come with the cranks leave much to be desired however. My eyes were killing me trying to read that microscopic print. The install is slightly more complicated than the RF do to a few more parts. The crank arms themselves are stiffer. I could see some flex in the RF unit (hear it too when it rubbed the FD) but it is non-existent with the FSA.

I only have a few rides on them but one was extremely wet and nasty (sandy-mica soil). I removed the cranks while taking the TNT rear off to get it to CrashTD and nothing had entered the BB area and the axle area was clean.

They are expensive and I'm sure an XT unit works just as well but I really like these.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks for the 'mini review' Sean :)

You sure are right about the price though, UK selling price is almost double RF Deus cranks :(

I've seen some good reports about the Truvativ Stylo carbon GXP which are half the price of the FSA but are a heavier chainset by around 100g, not sure if this means more strength or more aluminium and less carbon as they look to have wider arms than the FSA?

Hmm I'll have to look around Ebay and see what crops up...

·
Registered
973 Posts
Paul5s said:
Thanks for the 'mini review' Sean :)

You sure are right about the price though, UK selling price is almost double RF Deus cranks :(

I've seen some good reports about the Truvativ Stylo carbon GXP which are half the price of the FSA but are a heavier chainset by around 100g, not sure if this means more strength or more aluminium and less carbon as they look to have wider arms than the FSA?

Hmm I'll have to look around Ebay and see what crops up...
I have been looking at the same cranks myself, I keep asking Larry Qs about them when I call, but have not pulled the trigger yet....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.