Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size rear shock does a 2005 Turner six pack take?

Was looking at one this evening and it seems to be sitting a bit low. Thinking it might of been swapped out by the previous owner.

·
lurker no more
168 Posts
crux said:
What size rear shock does a 2005 Turner six pack take?

Was looking at one this evening and it seems to be sitting a bit low. Thinking it might of been swapped out by the previous owner.
Should have originally come with a 7.5" eye-to-eye and a 2" stroke if memory serves right.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Crux

the bottom bracket should be at 14.25" per the 2005 catalog, but we measured just over 12 last night right

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Also the fork A to C will have an impact on BB height. Make sure you measure the BB height from the center of the crank spindle to the floor.

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
NE2NM said:
Crux

the bottom bracket should be at 14.25" per the 2005 catalog, but we measured just over 12 last night right
:confused:

Something's way off here. Even a 5 Pack woudn't have a BB height that low (when they were selling it Competitive Cyclist had a 13.5" BB height listed). Is it an air shock that's stuck down, or is it a coil shock and you think the i2i length is wrong? Measure the shock from eyelet to eyelet, as others have said it should be 7.5". What fork are you running, if the travel is lowered (or just short for some reason) that'll have an effect on the BB height (although I still don't think it should be ~12").

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PCinSC said:
:confused:

Something's way off here. Even a 5 Pack woudn't have a BB height that low (when they were selling it Competitive Cyclist had a 13.5" BB height listed). Is it an air shock that's stuck down, or is it a coil shock and you think the i2i length is wrong? Measure the shock from eyelet to eyelet, as others have said it should be 7.5". What fork are you running, if the travel is lowered (or just short for some reason) that'll have an effect on the BB height (although I still don't think it should be ~12").
eye to eye was 7" stroke 1.5" on a Fox DHX 5 air. Shock seems to work "fine" and would say that it is not stuck down. I would say that the shock is the wrong size for the bike and company who sold the bike should have some explination after all the cable routing cleanup and why the brake fluid was so cloudy for being coined as a bike that had hardly been ridden. Will not mention company names at this point, but selling a bike in this condition is not a good thing.

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
crux said:
eye to eye was 7" stroke 1.5" on a Fox DHX 5 air. Shock seems to work "fine" and would say that it is not stuck down.
I don't think Fox ever made a DHX air in that size. According to the Fox website the shortest DHX air available since 2006 is 7.5" x 2.0". Makes me think your shock is missing some travel and may in fact be stuck down, even though is seems to be working fine. Are you sure you're measuring the shock length from the center of each eyelet end to end? You should also have ~2" of "shaft" showing, if there's significantly less then something is screwy with the shock.
I would say that the shock is the wrong size for the bike and company who sold the bike should have some explination after all the cable routing cleanup and why the brake fluid was so cloudy for being coined as a bike that had hardly been ridden. Will not mention company names at this point, but selling a bike in this condition is not a good thing.
Well I hope that either you're measuring incorrectly or there is a stuck down problem with the shock, because the stuck down problem should be a (relatively) easy fix. The alternative that you mentioned is that the company that sold you the bike misrepresented what you were to be getting (at the very least) and dealing with that is probably going to be a headache. Good luck.

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
NE2NM said:
The bottom bracket is about 12.5" high.
Eye to eye is 6.75"
Stroke is 1 5/8

Take a look at how much the rocker is downsloping.
Ah, the pictures definitely answered the question. Like JC said, it's stuck down. It actually looks like you've got only a little over one inch of stroke going on (my interpretation of that last pic, anyway), that means the bike could be sitting over three inches into its travel, in which case the 12.5" BB height makes a lot more sense.

I would contact whomever you purchased it from and let them know what's going on, give them a chance to make it right. I hope my DHX Air doesn't get stuck down. :skep:

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
PCinSC said:
Ah, the pictures definitely answered the question. Like JC said, it's stuck down. It actually looks like you've got only a little over one inch of stroke going on (my interpretation of that last pic, anyway), that means the bike could be sitting over three inches into its travel, in which case the 12.5" BB height makes a lot more sense.

I would contact whomever you purchased it from and let them know what's going on, give them a chance to make it right. I hope my DHX Air doesn't get stuck down. :skep:
If it does, use light shock oil instead of float fluid and you won't have to worry. I reported doing this to a shock that had stuck down causing seals and never had a problem after that.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Right after you fix that shock, ditch that leg ripping big ring... XTRs are sweet for sure, and if that's an older set, this might work for you:

It's an RFX afterall, how often do you use the 44t anyway?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Right after you fix that shock, ditch that leg ripping big ring... XTRs are sweet for sure, and if that's an older set, this might work for you:

It's an RFX afterall, how often do you use the 44t anyway?
No doubt I need to get rid of the big ring. I've yet to touch anything on the bike. I've had it fo 2 months but have only ridden it once.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts