Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Gold it's the new Pink!
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I know there has been a few recent posts about forks but I need some help. Has anyone rode a 06 zoke 66 rcx2? I am trying to decide between that and the Fox Van 36 rc2, 36 talas rc2 & 66 SL. I am tipping the scales at 235-240 with out gear. I am looking for something to take my abuse but also be able to pedal uphill when needed since this will be my only off road bike. The fork will be used with a dhx air rear.

Can anyone confirm that the 06 Zoke 66 rc2x does come in a 150 mm travel model like the web says?

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Hey holmes, don't forget to peep the 66 ETA light. I've been running one for the past few weeks, and it's a sweet ride. It replaced my Z-1 FR1. The extra 20mm of travel is nice, and the stiffness blows doors on the Z-1. The change in geometry is pretty negligible. I don't notice it at all. I think I've finally found the perfect trail riding/hucking fork. A couple more rides, and it'll be ready for an oil change, and I'll post my full review at that time.

Attachments

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Crimson said:
Hey Guys,

I know there has been a few recent posts about forks but I need some help. Has anyone rode a 06 zoke 66 rcx2? I am trying to decide between that and the Fox Van 36 rc2, 36 talas rc2 & 66 SL. I am tipping the scales at 235-240 with out gear. I am looking for something to take my abuse but also be able to pedal uphill when needed since this will be my only off road bike. The fork will be used with a dhx air rear.

Can anyone confirm that the 06 Zoke 66 rc2x does come in a 150 mm travel model like the web says?
Good luck setting up the DHX-A at 240 lbs!!! You might want to reconsider that choice. At 225 in gear I have to run 270-280 psi and Fox says max is 300psi.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey man,

Ive been running a 66 RC2x for a little while now and love it on my 6 pack. I dont do much long trip XC rides though, basically use it for light DH and aggressive XCish riding. The angle is a little slack but I sort of like it that way, the bike is a great light alternative to my DHR. I would recommend it in a heart beat but it is ofcourse up to you and your ride style objectives. The fork came with way too much oil so it ramped up waaaaaay to fast. I took some oile out and now it works much better....but....I really need to change the oil out completely to make it feel like my 888 works.

hope that helped.
Tom

·
It's a Turner!
528 Posts
Similarly, this is the new 66 SL. This fork looks like overkill for anything but DH. Looks like it can take a whole lot of abuse, easily more than the Fox 36. It is one badass fork. May be a while before I finish the build and head over to the mtns to test it out.

El Chingon said:
Hey holmes, don't forget to peep the 66 ETA light. I've been running one for the past few weeks, and it's a sweet ride. It replaced my Z-1 FR1. The extra 20mm of travel is nice, and the stiffness blows doors on the Z-1. The change in geometry is pretty negligible. I don't notice it at all. I think I've finally found the perfect trail riding/hucking fork. A couple more rides, and it'll be ready for an oil change, and I'll post my full review at that time.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
that thing looks nice!

sirbikesalot said:
Similarly, this is the new 66 SL. This fork looks like overkill for anything but DH. Looks like it can take a whole lot of abuse, easily more than the Fox 36. It is one badass fork. May be a while before I finish the build and head over to the mtns to test it out.

Sirbikesalot........
Did you get a weight on that thing?

Please keep us informed on the ride quality. Have fun with it.

How is the travel adjust?

Thanks in advance

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,801 Posts
Yo! I'm hangin herez wit my main man!, him is da rider of da six six, boy! Boom shackala.

hehe...

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
G-AIR said:
Sirbikesalot........

Thanks in advance
I would like to add to the requests: Could you get an accurate A-C measurement in the 150mm setting? muchos gracias

·
It's a Turner!
528 Posts
The weight is 2660g.

Haven't played with the travel adjust yet to know how easy it will be to adjust the travel - like if I want to set it at 160mm.

Haven't measured the A-C yet but I will report that tomorrow.

G-AIR said:
Sirbikesalot........

Thanks in advance

·
It's a Turner!
528 Posts
It weighs more. The Bomber logos alone screem beef like a 1/4 pounder. I bet if you and I had a swordfight with our forks my 66 would fold your 36 in half like a cardboard tube. Besides, 66 is 30 more than 36 so it must be better :D

Seriously, just a visual observation from a friend's 36 and the fact that Marzocchi bills this line intended for DH. I mean, when I first unwrapped the fork, I thought, "damn, this is too much. I should have gotten the Fox (or the Z1)."

airwreck said:
curious what would make you say this?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Crimson said:
Hey Guys,

hey the fox van 36 all the way, it is by far the best handling/plushest fork out, before the fox I was a maz. fan and only rode mar. but I picked up a pack with the fox van 36 rc2 and its the best fork I have ever ridden and for it not being able to take abuse I am 220 and use the pack for my trail bike and freeride I take 5 to 8 footers all the time. the more you hammer down the plusher it gets, the fox is so badass with the six pack that havent even touched my foes dhs for about 4 months now there is no need this bike does it all take fox if you got the money

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
sirbikesalot said:
I mean, when I first unwrapped the fork, I thought, "damn, this is too much. I should have gotten the Fox (or the Z1)."
i feel ya! when i got my 66rc, i thought the same thing and still do. it was a impulse buy. i needed a 6" fork and qbp was blowin these out so i couldnt pass up the price! a much lighter eta fork may be more my style as this pig weighs just over 7lbs un cut and sits way high. i havent riddin it yet and may not be able to properly till spring so i dunno if its what i want or not. the cool thing is i wont be needing anything more for a long long time.

·
It's a Turner!
528 Posts
It's the actual uncut steerer weight. I thought it would weigh less, but you know how that goes... I'd be interested in finding out actual weights for the Light and RC2X versions to see if the SL ultimately saves that much weight. The reason I chose this model is the ability to change the travel.

jncarpenter said:
...for some reason I thought the SL weighed nearly a 1/2# less? Is this an actual weight...or did you do the math (spec'd weight + 255G steerer)?

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
sirbikesalot said:
The weight is 2660g.

Haven't played with the travel adjust yet to know how easy it will be to adjust the travel - like if I want to set it at 160mm.

Haven't measured the A-C yet but I will report that tomorrow.
5.864lbs isn't too shabby since the 05 Z1FR1 is 5.65lbs w/ the axle and a full length steerer.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
SSINGA said:
5.864lbs isn't too shabby since the 05 Z1FR1 is 5.65lbs w/ the axle and a full length steerer.
....I was surprised when I looked into the oil levels for the 66 SL...it recommends 200cc for the left leg!!!! 200cc! I really hope that is a typo. Incidentally, the right leg is spec'd for 40cc...lol :p

EDIT: I just looked at oil levels from 2005 66's & they were even more...spec'ing 220 PER LEG! Yowza...guess we can conclude where a chunk of the weight is coming from on those bad boys...hehe

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
jncarpenter said:
....I was surprised when I looked into the oil levels for the 66 SL...it recommends 200cc for the left leg!!!! 200cc! I really hope that is a typo. Incidentally, the right leg is spec'd for 40cc...lol :p

EDIT: I just looked at oil levels from 2005 66's & they were even more...spec'ing 220 PER LEG! Yowza...guess we can conclude where a chunk of the weight is coming from on those bad boys...hehe
Remember this is from the same people who recommend 175ml for the AM1!!!!! :confused:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.