Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
steep fast and loose :)
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys - just got my CCDB for the 6 Pack.
Interested in finding out your collective thoughts on settings for the terrain you ride.
I'm 13 stone, and running a 650# x 2" Ti spring on it.
seems good so far, if a little lifeless and 'dull' in comparison to the ROCO i was running previously.
I have the preload set to 30% sag and the compression and rebound settings as factory standard.
please advise your thoughts / settings / experiences !

simon

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Paging SSinGA

The_Lecht_Rocks said:
hi guys - just got my CCDB for the 6 Pack.
Interested in finding out your collective thoughts on settings for the terrain you ride.
I'm 13 stone, and running a 650# x 2" Ti spring on it.
seems good so far, if a little lifeless and 'dull' in comparison to the ROCO i was running previously.
I have the preload set to 30% sag and the compression and rebound settings as factory standard.
please advise your thoughts / settings / experiences !

simon
Just ride it as such for a while. Then, if you must, follow the manual on the sequence of which to adjust (do not deviate from this and only do one setting at a time). It's an awesome shock but can be finicky when set incorrectly and it is very easy to mess the settings up to where it will feel like crap. Patience is key to getting it done right unless you have a dyno and know how to set it accordingly.

The dead feeling will disappear once you're on the trail. That's mainly your low speed rebound keeping it slow. Hit a bump hard enough to engage the high speed rebound and your shock with bounce right back.

·
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks scubapro - i'll keep riding and making fine adjustments on the trail where necessary.
i have one particular XC / DH section of trail where i can start to dial in the shock to my taste.
fwiw, i have accurately measured the sag tonight, and it's 28%, which seems perfect. i've also re-confirmed the settings against CC's recommended starting values.

simon.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
The_Lecht_Rocks said:
thanks scubapro - i'll keep riding and making fine adjustments on the trail where necessary.
i have one particular XC / DH section of trail where i can start to dial in the shock to my taste.
fwiw, i have accurately measured the sag tonight, and it's 28%, which seems perfect. i've also re-confirmed the settings against CC's recommended starting values.

simon.
Sounds like a good plan. I'm surprised SSINGA has not chimed in as he has more experience with the CCDB.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I have one on my El Guapo (I know it's not a Turner) and I thought it felt pretty dead as well. I rode it with those settings for about 2 months. It felt like all the bob was removed even when standing, but it was kind of harsh in rock gardens and traction would brake loose on tech climbing. It's almost like it was setup for smooth fast trails with big hits and drops, which is not my terrain.

I started making fine adjustments and I ended up speeding up the high speed rebound about 4 or 5 clicks, speeding up the low speed rebound 2 clicks and dropping the low speed compression 4 clicks. It's now plush as can be. There is a small amount of added bob but the plushness more than makes up for it.

The great thing about this shock is that since the adjustments are seperate from each other you can wrap your head around it. I don't understand why people say it's hard to adjust. It's the only shock I've ever had that the adjustments do what I think they're going to do. Just make sure to only change 1 setting at a time and only in 1 click intervals. You can actually feel a difference with 1 click.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Will one of these shocks work on my 01 RFX, how much do they cost, and where can I get one?
I'm sick of not being able to effectively tune the small bump sensetivity on my Vanilla RC, that shock is sooo....... Vanilla.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
RC or CC

if you wanna save some money but still have a fine adjustable shock, send it to Push. i'm sure ya know about them so on the other hand i recently went from a Pushed RC to the DDBL
& it is definately everything everybody says about it. all 4 adjustments are basically infinite
or at least cover the entire range you would want out of them. if you find out if it fits the '01,
check w/ Red Barn Cyclery. they sell them for about $575 i believe.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
AlienRFX said:
Will one of these shocks work on my 01 RFX, how much do they cost, and where can I get one?
I'm sick of not being able to effectively tune the small bump sensetivity on my Vanilla RC, that shock is sooo....... Vanilla.
fits on my friends 02. Call Mark at www.t2bikes.com He is the local CCDB dealer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
CCDB on an '08 RFX since early November. Malcolm put on a 450# spring for my 165-170lb riding weight. 30-35% sag. First impression was the shock was overdamped.

High speed compression: any thing less than 2.0 turns from open (factory setting) and I bottom on 4 foot to flat (I think). Factory setting good!

High speed rebound: anything less than 2.0 turns from open (factory setting) and landings from 4 foot to flat become harsh. Factory setting good!

Low speed compression: 8 clicks from fully closed (factory setting) is too harsh for most riding (exception: standing and hammering, racing your buddies on fire roads, trying to climb in flats). I run it anywher from 10 -18 clicks from closed (24 is fully open) depending on the terrain. Less LCS damping (more open) means plusher, better small bump compliance, more control in rock gardens, and sinking into the turns more for that lower center of gravity feel. It also means more pedal bob if your pedal stroke is not efficient.

Low speed rebound: 12 clicks from fully closed (factory setting) is okay. I run it anywhere from 12-18 clicks from closed (24 is fully open) depending on terrain. Too much LSR damping and you lose the the energy stored in the coil when pumping dips or turns. Too little and the rear tire will break away during tight turns (in a sort of fun, controlled way, but that's lost energy). More LSR damping can help when climbing through rock gardens but the shock will pack down and become harsh at the faster speeds when descending same rock garden.

These are my impressions and they may change as I continue to experiment, especially with input from other riders. The CCDB could be a set and forget shock, if some authority (maybe yourself) tells you the "perfect" setting. The "perfect" setting will of course change with the terrain, your fitness, your attitude and your other equipment, and that's the beauty of being able to tune the shock yourself. The best advice I can give is to keep fiddling and realize that you are eventually going to become an expert at reading suspension feedback and knowing exactly what adjustment to make to suit the ride your on. As long as you know what the factory settings are or your last settings were, and how to get there, you can always fix a bad tune. Have you verified there are 4 turns in the high speed circuits and that your settings are at 2? Have you verified that there are 24 clicks in the low speed circuits and that your setting are factory? Don't be afraid to explore the whole adjustment range: that, I hope, is why you bought it. I may leave it set for a couple of weeks, and then I get some idea I want to test, and I'm out going through the range of adjustments on section of trail, or I may change a setting and see how I like it over the course of a few days.

Finally, post your observations and results as you go. I would also be interested in what others on this site have observed.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
I don't recall what settings I had. Most were a click here and a click there on the trail. I lost 20lbs in the last 2 months so more clicks were needed. changed a few clicks for Monte Sano rocks then adjusted again for the super hard-pack at home.

I have no idea where they are set now!

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
This is great thread! Thanks for your input. Just ordered mine and I have to admit I am looking forward to tinkering with it and at the same time I find myself a little intimidated by some of the feedback that I have seen.

*Any way we could get a sticky?

·
Registered
176 Posts
"I don't recall what settings I had. Most were a click here and a click there on the trail. I lost 20lbs in the last 2 months so more clicks were needed. changed a few clicks for Monte Sano rocks then adjusted again for the super hard-pack at home.

I have no idea where they are set now!"
I tried to keep a log of my adjustments, but it's just not my personality. Usually I know where I'm at, but if I'm unsure of my current settings, I'll count the clicks from closed or open. One thing I've done to help, is to put a dot of red fingernail polish on the upward face of each of the four nuts at the factory settings. That helps with small adjustments.

"This is great thread! Thanks for your input. Just ordered mine and I have to admit I am looking forward to tinkering with it and at the same time I find myself a little intimidated by some of the feedback that I have seen.

*Any way we could get a sticky?"
I second the sticky. No need to be intimidated. The CCDB is meant to be adjusted. I have on a number of occasions made more than one adjustment of several clicks each. If it's not right, just reset or dial it back some. Know where the factory or your favorite setting is, and how to get there by counting in from the open or closed extremes. If you aren't finding settings you don't like, then you're being way to cautious.

·
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
missing in action - thats a very good point - to find unsuitable settings is as valuable as finding the suitable ones !
thanks for the input. i'll post up more findings once i get another chance to get out !
it would be good to get this as a sticky, please ?

simon.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
posted in your Shocks forum thread as well.

me : 190mm eye to eye / 550# x 2" stroke / 2.75:1 / Turner 5.5 Spot / 14.8 stone [93.8kg] 207lbs.

shock settings : changes frequently - Currently hardpack/climbing setting

High speed compression : 1 turn in from fully open
Low speed compression : 8 clicks in from fully open
High speed rebound : 1 1/4 turns in from fully open
Low speed rebound : 7 clicks in from fully open

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
It has been a while since I was on the bike due to weather and being super buisy.....

I ride a '06 pack and weigh about 190. More of a DH'r than a XCr and the 'pack' sees pretty mush anything I dont need the full on DH bike for: everything from fast rooty trail riding to a bit of jumping to free-whatever-ing.

The shock definately felt overdamped when I first got it. IIRC I have opened up the ls rebound a bit to get more sensitivity to small bumps, kept just enough ls compression to prevent excess chassis movement, and backed off the HS compression to allow it to suck up high speed impacts. I rode for a while with a little tool to adjust things and I dont know exactly where I ended up, but it feels great and you can get jjust about any 'feel' you want with a bit of trial and error.

I would add that your spring seems a bit stiff. The damper of the CCDB seems to be able to resist bottom as well as wallow very well and thus the general recomendation is to run a bit more sag and a softer spring. I have a 550 on mine and cant remember ever feeling a harsh bottomout.

·
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
davep - i'm running exactly 28% sag which is perfect without affecting the seat tube angle too much !
thanks for your post - i too have now backed off the hi speed compression 1 full turn to activate the high speed absorbtion. how does opening the ls rebound gain more sensitivity to small bumps - i'd have thought that was achieved via the low speed compression ?

thanks,

simon.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.