Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be dealing my Blur and Intense VPX soon to get one bike. One bike -- the 6-Pack. This will be my everything bike. My Blur is light (26 lbs) and I love to XC with it, but the steep h/a and twitchiness brings the ground and myself meeting once again. The VPX is sweet, but at 45lbs, a f----g tank to huff up the hills even with 22/34. It'd be really nice to climb the Blur, park it, and ride the VPX down again, but I ain't carrying two bikes.

Being 35, newly married, I don't downhill much, or anymore. I freeride a bit, but more technical and fast, than hucking with body armor. Anyway, this last meal of eating dirt brought me to the decision I should've made earlier this year -- get a 6-Pack. I don't want a five inch bike, I ride beyond what it can do for me, heck the Blur was 115mm x 130mm. So, this is my question to ya'all ---

What is the weight of a 6 Pack frame? I heard around 8lbs with a DHX air.
What can a 6 Pack be built down to? Realistically.

I plan on using a Fox36 RC2 and DHX air; either Mavic CrossMax XL or King/EX 823;.and Hayes El Caminos. I always use carbon bars (OS) and Thomson stems and posts; SRAM components; King h/s; WTB saddle; and Salsa skewers. I'm unsure of cranks, whether XT or Truvativ, or whether or not to run a bashguard (I have one on my VPX). Tires are still questionable -- I run WTB on my Blur and Highrollers on my VPX.

Any help with this will be great. I love Turners and should've bought one a while ago. Thanks. :eek:)

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
CAVEAT: I think that the 6-Pack deserves strong, sturdy parts and I tend to complain about people selling their 6-Pack short by underbuilding it. however...

you can probably get one below 30 lbs if you use pinner wheels & tires, carbon post/bar, roadie torture saddle.

but then what's the point of having a burly 6x6 frame/fork?

if you want 6x6 with light weight, the Yeti 575 is a better starting point IMO.

my 6-Pack weighs 34 lbs with midweight wheels, XC tubes, DH rear tire and fat XC casing front tire... 36 VAN fork, DHX 5.0 rear shock, Thomson stem/post, Answer ProTaper 2" riser bar.

various 6-Pack build descriptions can be found in the appropriate thread.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
If you are coming off a Blur and VXP, why aren't you considering an Intense 6.6? I weighed one at Interbike (w/o pedals) which weighed like 29# with a lot of XTR and a Nixon air fork. Not bad, and they ride nicely too (I mean the 6.6).

Anyway, yep, a medium Pack w/ DHX Air is 7.6# according to JNC:

I have seen Packs built to sub-30# with careful parts selections. The build you suggested would hit about 32 I think. Mine is 35 and I really don't mind at all. Look through the 6-Pack setup database and get an idea there. People sometimes posted weights.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
I don't remember the exact weight of my medium Pack w/DHX air, but I know it was less than 8lbs.....I think around 7.6ish. Anyway, mine weighs in at 32.6lbs running a 36 Vanilla fork, Mavic 819's with 2.3/2.5 tires, Holzfeller Cranks w/MRP chain guide etc,. etc. I could easily shed another 1-2lbs with lighter cranks, tires, pedals etc. You can look in the 6 Pack set up thread to get some ideas of what most of the Packs weigh in at and what kind of components people are runnning. Sounds like the Pack would be perfect for you, it does everything well. Here is a pic of mine :D

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FX Rob,
I like the way you built your 6 Pack, very much like I want mine. 32lbs was the target weight for I was shooting for. I ride with a few people who have Bullits and their bikes are around 32-34lbs. I will consider the Vanilla 36 (5.45lbs) over the Talas (5.23lbs) though. I was reading that the DHX air is 450grams and the coil is 400g (.99lbs vs .88lbs). All this seems like gram counting, but I feel more comfortable with coils, and I have never had good results with air (except my Push's) and the bikes I've had that have had oil/coil have always ridden better than full air.

Darren, sick bike. Maybe a little too light for my riding. Are you making those rockers? Thanks for the overhaul on my Fox Float R for my Blur, it's riding great... but soon will be missed.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
sugardare said:
FX Rob,
I like the way you built your 6 Pack, very much like I want mine. 32lbs was the target weight for I was shooting for. I ride with a few people who have Bullits and their bikes are around 32-34lbs. I will consider the Vanilla 36 (5.45lbs) over the Talas (5.23lbs) though. I was reading that the DHX air is 450grams and the coil is 400g (.99lbs vs .88lbs). All this seems like gram counting, but I feel more comfortable with coils, and I have never had good results with air (except my Push's) and the bikes I've had that have had oil/coil have always ridden better than full air.

QUOTE]

The DHX coil listed at 400gms doesn't include the coil, you'll save about 1lb by going with the DHX Air. I have been pretty happy with my DHX-A and also own 2 DHX coils on other bikes, so far I would only want the coil version if I was more into hucking/jumping.....which I have my AS-X for. The 36 Vanilla is a fantastic fork IMO, easily the plushest/stiffest fork I've tried....only down side is no travel adjust but I rarely miss that coming from my old Z1FR1.

Sweet bike Darren, those rockers are scary yet enticing at the same time :p

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I had my small VPX down below 36 pounds with a 05 66 fork. the Pack was always two full pounds lighter with the same parts build.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
PUSHIND said:
Well...Titanium isn't that hard to come by..... :D
Damn you!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) x1000

You've had me waiting for over 6 months now to get a Pike pushed.

You guys have no idea how much money you're losing out on by not doingthose mods ASAP.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts