Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How realistic is it to have the 6 Pack as your only bike?

I currently ride an RM Slayer as my trail bike and an SC Bullit for heaver FR duties. In reality the Bullit only comes out a few times a year and i cant really warrant having the two bikes.

I am also considering a 5 Spot seem to struggle with sizing. At 5" 11.5", the medium Pack with a 90 - 70'ish stem seems to fit the bill. But will I regret getting rid of the Slayer or not getting a Spot instead?

Your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Steveoworld said:

I currently ride an RM Slayer as my trail bike and an SC Bullit for heaver FR duties. In reality the Bullit only comes out a few times a year and i cant really warrant having the two bikes.

I am also considering a 5 Spot seem to struggle with sizing. At 5" 11.5", the medium Pack with a 90 - 70'ish stem seems to fit the bill. But will I regret getting rid of the Slayer or not getting a Spot instead?

That's my plan - 1 bike and 2 sets of wheels and forks (and maybe rear shocks - RP3 and DHX). This setup has worked well for the last 2 bikes (Joker and Moment) so I don't expect things to be different with the Pack. Squeaky Wheel's pack build came in a hair under 33lbs which is totally trail ridable.

As long as you spec the Pack with the right components and fork it can surely take the place of the Slayer and Bullit.

What size are your Slayer and Bullit?

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
Provided that you're not chasing the leg-shaving-lycra-boys on a regular basis and you carefully choose the componenets, I see no reason why the Pack couldn't be your one bike. I have 2, but the Pack is the only one seeing use for the time being.
As SSINGA said, mine originally weighed just under 33 and is now 32.5 with Stan'd 2.35 Kendas. I'll lose another 0.5-1.2 lbs by either going with a Ti spring on the DHX or switching to an RP3.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
My Spot is my only bike..

Steveoworld said:

the bike is compliant in almost everything. I just change tires....

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Rfx?

An RFX might fit the bill.
If you can find a used RFX it can be built up as two different bikes.
1) 5" rockers, lighter wheelset, 5" fork, even an air shock.....probably around 33#

2)6" rockers, DH wheelset, 7" fork, keep the coil shock on there.......ready to shuttle 38-40#

This is my only ride, and I am stoked every time I take it out. I have not tried an air shock on the bike yet, but it will probably be my next purchase. Currently I have it set up with a 5" Z1, 2.3 tires, somewhat light wheels it can handle all the riding where I live. When I travel to a place more downhill oriented all I have to do is swap out teh wheels, fork and rockers (maybe 30-40 mins.)and I am ready to go.

I have looked at many other bikes, but then I think about what I have and realize there is no way I could get rid of my RFX.

Just my 2 cents

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I have a 5-Spot and a 6-Pack and if I had to choose only one, I'd stick with the Spot. That presupposes a few things though: the two bikes would stay specced as they currently are (both kinda heavy duty) and my riding style would stay roughly similar (aggressive trail riding, but where climbing is as important as descending).

The Pack has an extra inch front and back and this is noticeable, but so is the weight. You *could* lighten the Pack, or beef up the Spot, and I guess it would end up being pretty much 6 one way a half dozen the other. In my mind the Spot is a bit more versatile overall unless you are starting to lean towards FR and the Spot simply cannot take the drops/stacks.

Which bike are you most interested in leaning towards/replicating, the Bullit or Slayer? Sounds like the Slayer, huh? At almost 6' I would suggest you look at a size large 5-Spot with an RP3 and put a nice beefy fork on that baby.

I know Turtle 1 one differ with me here. He went from a Spot set up like mine, to a Pack set up like mine, and is happier on the Pack. He is not a freerider, just a trailrider. The Pack will clean up after more of your boo-boos, but the Spot will be noticeably sportier in its ride. A lot of this comes down to component choice and setup. It is a bit hard to generalize.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
One more thing. There was a thread a while back with basically this exact same title ("6-Pack as only bike?" I think). Go find it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I agree with G-air

If you really want 2 bikes in one. Find a 02 RFX. I think if your trail/ cross-country build was speced right you could get that thing down to 30 Ibs or so. I do the same thing gair does and it works fine. It will always be a pound or so heavier than the exact built 5spot. But it wont dent either. Make sure you get the 5 in rockers to.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
artsn & G-Air:

With all due respect to the RFX; your replies don't make much sense. The Pack is about 1lb lighter than the RFX and can be speced with the DHX or RP3 depending on your desired use. So how is the RFX better for Stevoworld's purpose?

IMO..the efficiency of the DHX and RP3 shocks eliminates the need for a 5" rocker. The 6 pack is lighter than a RFX so overall build would be lighter too. Geometry is similar except for TT length which also favors the Pack.

Enlighten me:cool:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Interesting

The 6pack is not a pound lighter. A med. from what I hear(granted what I hear) is about 8.8 with a dhx. A med. RFX is about 9 Ibs. Pending on where you live the extra weight in the tubes can payoff. SoCal rocky singletrack can ding a bike pretty easy. Not a RFX. In reference to the 5 in rockers it has more to do with geometry and bb height than pedalling efficiency. A RFX with 5 in rockers and say a Fox RLC or a Minute fork is a 5spot. Pretty much dead on with the exception of .2 inches in the chainstays. As far as the .4 inches of additional toptube goes, get a raceface XY post. You will be in the same position over the pedals as you would on a 6pack. Put the 6 in rockers on and a Super T and you have a whole nother bike. This is where for me I like the tighter frame and TT length feels great. I can just throw it around. The DHX fits fine without the bottomout knob which really isnt something you are adjusting on the fly anyway. Just my thoughts. The 6pack is a awesome bike. I just think if you are looking for a bike to cover everything from trail riding to the ski lifts. The RFX is a better option and not everybody needs these options. But it sounds to me like the guy above does.

·
twinkie
139 Posts
SSINGA said:
artsn & G-Air:

With all due respect to the RFX; your replies don't make much sense. The Pack is about 1lb lighter than the RFX and can be speced with the DHX or RP3 depending on your desired use. So how is the RFX better for Stevoworld's purpose?

IMO..the efficiency of the DHX and RP3 shocks eliminates the need for a 5" rocker. The 6 pack is lighter than a RFX so overall build would be lighter too. Geometry is similar except for TT length which also favors the Pack.

I just talked to Casey the other day before he shipped my 6 Pack.
He said that the RP3 on the pack was blowing through all the mid-stroke travel. He said that it was not recommended to run that shock on the six pack. Anyone running a RP3 on their pack?? I wanted to get one but opted for the DHX after his advice. Just wondering what other experiences are?

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
I could be mistaken with the weight but I thought the RFX was 9lbs sans the shock. If the difference was only .2 lbs then I would say that the tubing was not all that different.

This isn't an attack on you or your frame of choice, I was just looking for clafification on your recommendation since I too plan on using the Pack as my only bike for the same reasons and uses stevoworld asked about.

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
losjefes said:
I just talked to Casey the other day before he shipped my 6 Pack.
He said that the RP3 on the pack was blowing through all the mid-stroke travel. He said that it was not recommended to run that shock on the six pack. Anyone running a RP3 on their pack?? I wanted to get one but opted for the DHX after his advice. Just wondering what other experiences are?
On top of that, PUSH doesn't recommend it either. They say that overheating of the RP3 leads to a loss of performance. PUSH is working on a remedy and I'd shy away from the RP3 for now.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Not sure

I m not sure of the post but I seem to recall someone talking to Darren and the overheating would only be a issue on REAL long dh type descents. Frankly, I dont think air shocks have any place in these types of situations to begin with. But for normal trail riding it would hold up fine. Maybe Tscheezy can weigh in with more info on this?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I like the RP3 on mine. It does enjoy a lot of "through-travel" (mid-stroke compliance I like to call it) in the "-" Propedal setting, but you can just adjust the pressure to get whatever bottoming control you like and put it in the middle PP position to keep the back up a bit. It rides like it does on the Spot, but yummier imo. If you are doing DH runs, sure, run a coil if you are worried. For 99% of trailriding, including trips to Moab, the RP3 is simply wonderful.

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
artsn said:
I m not sure of the post but I seem to recall someone talking to Darren and the overheating would only be a issue on REAL long dh type descents. QUOTE]

At this point, he doesn't recommend the RP3 for general trail riding either. Keep in mind that I have no first hand experience with the RP3 & the Pack, but the descents where I live are long enough that I've been persuaded to stay DHX for now.

·
Registered
689 Posts
SSinga you are right.................

About the weight. I think the 6pack is closer to a pound lighter because of the butted tubes. The overall weight with shock is closer to 9 and a half.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Who cares about weight- It's all about geometry! The RFX w/ 5" rockers and a 5" Z1 or Fox 130mm fork gives you a 13.5" BB and 5-spot angles- perfect for slow, tight & twisty technical XC. I rode my RFX this way most of the winter, with a 5" Z1, Rp3, 90mm stem and geax sturdy 2.25 UST's. Didn't weigh it, but it felt like 32lbs or so.

Now it's back to the Z150, 2.5 DH tires, 70mm stem, and a 2.25" stroke pushed vanilla RC, which combined with the 2.5:1 ratio 5" rockers gives me 5.6" travel with a 13.5" BB and a 67d head angle. I just got back from 4 days in Moab/fruita with this set up and it rocked. Slacker, lower, heavier and stronger than a 6-pack. 5" or 6" rockers give you more fork &geometry options than the 6-pack.

As for Steveoworld, it just depends on where you live, and what kind of riding you want to do. For "all day" riding in Whistler or north Van, the RFX is already a very light frame. In Fruita, it was total overkill. Regardless, you won't hear me complain about riding such a sweet bike all day, any chance I get!

Either way, your chances of finding a "new" 2002 RFX are basically %0... so, comparing the two is pointless. Just buy a Turner and you'll be happy.

SSINGA said:
artsn & G-Air:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts