Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just have this one action pic of me on my Pack over the weekend, we were having too much fun bombing down the trails to take anymore. This is a nearly vertical (yes the pic makes it look easy) 4ft rock roll on Laguna Ridge (T&A) in LCWP in so cal. Enjoy :D

Attachments

· Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
Here are a couple pics of the same spot

FXRob said:
Actually the huck is off to the left side which I plan on doing next time down ;) There isn't much runoff room on the roll so it would be hard to jump/huck it.
The first pic shows your roller on the left. It's got a nice sized rut at the bottom that makes it tough - and like you say no runout to huck it. I'm doing the little left huck (looking down) you're talking about.

The second pic shows another little huck off to the left (looking up). You can see your roller on the right behind the bush.

Bummer that this is one month ago and 1 day before I got my Pack put together so it's not in these pics. It's a super fun bike, and rides real nice on these trails.

Attachments

· I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
El Chingon said:
Great shots. I love LCWP. Great place to ride. You guys been down a trail called Modern art? Also a fun one.
Is that the one that dumps you out right at the art school? If so yeah I've done that one also. The Pack was perfect for the ride we did: Started in Aliso, down 5 Oaks, up Cholla, down Steps, up Willow, down T&A, back up Steps, down Lynx and out.

· Team Sanchez
4,356 Posts
Yeah, it's the trail that dumps you out at the Art School. Sometimes I miss the old rides of So Cal. Have you guys ridden down any of the school yard trails, like Hawk Drop, or Red Rider? Those are also tasty, but hush hush. Here's a shot from Hawkdrop.

Attachments

· I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
El Chingon said:
Yeah, it's the trail that dumps you out at the Art School. Sometimes I miss the old rides of So Cal. Have you guys ridden down any of the school yard trails, like Hawk Drop, or Red Rider? Those are also tasty, but hush hush.
Haven't done Hawk Drop yet, don't know of Red Rider. How does Hawk Drop compare do Steps? That was my first time down Steps and I managed to clean it......some of those rock sections were really steep but very fun, I loved it! Just hated hiking back up it though
:(

· Team Sanchez
4,356 Posts
YOu know you can roll down to Canyon Acres, and get back up to the top of the World that way right? Hawkdrop runs parallel to Meadows, and Red Rider is an off shoot of Hawkdrop that drops off to the left. You may want to have someone take you down these for your first time. They are a little more tech than steps, and every bit as fun.

· I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
El Chingon said:
YOu know you can roll down to Canyon Acres, and get back up to the top of the World that way right? Hawkdrop runs parallel to Meadows, and Red Rider is an off shoot of Hawkdrop that drops off to the left. You may want to have someone take you down these for your first time. They are a little more tech than steps, and every bit as fun.
Last I heard Canyon Acres was in bad shape, but I guess it probably would still be better than hiking back up Steps. Thanks for the info though.

· Registered
3,369 Posts
El Chingon said:
Hawk drop is super fun, but an easy bust for the rangers. Modern Art is kind of blown out these days, sees a ton of riders. I like the dark side stuff, but haven't been down there in about 6 months.

· Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
FXRob said:
Last I heard Canyon Acres was in bad shape, but I guess it probably would still be better than hiking back up Steps. Thanks for the info though.
A couple weeks ago Canyon Acres was about as good as it gets. I climbed it twice that week with my 6-Pack, flat pedals, DH tires, etc. In the summer, when it's deep powder I can't even make it on my 5-Spot...

Nice shots Winston!

Yikes

· I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.Danno. said:
A couple weeks ago Canyon Acres was about as good as it gets. I climbed it twice that week with my 6-Pack, flat pedals, DH tires, etc. In the summer, when it's deep powder I can't even make it on my 5-Spot...

Good to know. So when you're heading down Laguna Canyon rd, how exactly do you get to the Canyon Acres fireroad? Thanks guys ;)

· Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
FXRob said:
.Danno. said:

Good to know. So when you're heading down Laguna Canyon rd, how exactly do you get to the Canyon Acres fireroad? Thanks guys ;)
When heading toward the ocean on Laguna Canyon, Canyon Acres is the fist stoplight you'll come to, it only goes left. It starts off paved, but keep going. Eventually you get to a chain gate, go around that to the right. It's still paved here, but you make a 150ish degree turn to the left and it becomes dirt. Go around the gate here to the left and start climbing! I take the direct route by going straight and not taking a left that's maybe 500 feet from the first gate. At the top of the first section you'll hit a T, turn right and start climbing some really steep stuff. Stay right, don't take the left that's halfway up the steep part. You'll veer left and hit another T, turn right again and climb another steep part. At the top of that you'll turn to the left and bang out the final steep, loooooong stretch. Right at the top of that section it gets really steep, which is especially fun because you'll be blowing big air by then. After that there are a couple more steep spots, but there's lots of flatish stuff before you hit them. It comes out right near Top of The World.

I didn't mean to make this climb sound too easy, because I've got friends that have never made it. I know it pretty well, so I spin easy to rest at the right spots to make it way easier.

Good luck, it's a classic!

~danno

· I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
.Danno. said:
I didn't mean to make this climb sound too easy, because I've got friends that have never made it. I know it pretty well, so I spin easy to rest at the right spots to make it way easier.

Good luck, it's a classic!

~danno
Crap, I think the hike-a-bike up Steps sounds more appealing than that :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.