• Other

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • I don't use disc brakes

Votes: 5 7.2%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Of course there are advantages. 6" is lighter, cheaper, and typically has more modulation at slower speeds. 8" offers more "stopping power" for if you're heavy or zooming down. All depends on what you need. Personally, I run 180mm front 160mm rear.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
kylejohn4543 said:
Technically, no. But they are usually (when I hear it) talked about as 6" rotors. soo....fine.:D

Edit: nope. your wrong. soo....fine. looky http://fisherbikes.com/bikes/full_specs.asp?series=trail-genesis&bike=Piranha down by the bottom. I'm pretty sure that says 6". :D
They may call them 6" but they are 160mm. It is a pet peeve of mine. Hayes "7-inch" rotors are not 7" either. I have no idea if they are actually 180 (close) or 185mm and they do not tell you.

and it is "you're".

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Krause said:
People need to chill out bit, you know what he meant. :D
Thank you krause. When I said "im knot one uv thoz peeps wholl typ evry sentnce lke ths." I was saying that I DON'T do that. Stop flaming everyone on grammar. It's not like you've never misspelled a word or used improper grammar. So let's all be cool.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Again, there are no 6" rotors. 6 inches is approximately 152.4 mm. Just because some idiot at Fisher put it on a website doesn't mean much, kinda like people who think it's okay to use incorrect English online...

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Again, there are no 6" rotors. 6 inches is approximately 152.4 mm. Just because some idiot at Fisher put it on a website doesn't mean much, kinda like people who think it's okay to use incorrect English online...
Now thats not cool. Just because someone doesn't proofread every post to make sure he hasn't mistyped anything doesn't for a second mean that any official paper he makes (where it counts) gets the same care.

Relax a bit on the things that are supposed to be recreation (riding, using these forums) instead of i guess proofreading and spell checking everything you type (unless you are perfect, and just never mistype or misspell, congratulations with that as thats not normal) and just let things go.

Do you do that with your friends when they talk? They abbreviate a word or say something wrong, do you stop the conversation to let them know that they said the word wrong and that their an idiot? Cause thats kinda like what your doing here, and its totally lame.
In fact theres a perfect example, if one of your friends said "kinda" would you stop and say "Erm, wait moron, don't you mean "kind of""?

Just chill out :/

·
Registered
15 Posts
shiggy said:
I use 203mm, 185mm, 165mm and 160mm on various bikes. There are no 6-inch rotors on the market.
Hi "supermoderator", the most common terminology is 6" or 8" when refering to rotor size in casual conversation. However, when discussing the technicalities of the subject then it could be considered appropriate to use the exact millimeter sizing. Either way, noone here is right or wrong, but thanks for bringing your opinion into the matter.

Btw, I use 6" inch rotors.

-J.Johnson

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I did not intend to turn this into a "discussion" on using the correct grammar/spelling/word on the internet.

I meant it as an example of just because something is in print/written down it does not mean it is correct.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Thanks Mr/Ms Johnson, that clarifies everything. All disc brake rotors are properly discussed in terms of only 6 or 8 inch rotors, even though there really are none if you want to order one or interchange parts between systems. Thanks, I stand corrected. I apologize for striving for accuracy, in both the English language as well as technical brake matters mea culpa; I should really know better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Thanks Mr/Ms Johnson, that clarifies everything. All disc brake rotors are properly discussed in terms of only 6 or 8 inch rotors, even though there really are none if you want to order one or interchange parts between systems. Thanks, I stand corrected. I apologize for striving for accuracy, in both the English language as well as technical brake matters mea culpa; I should really know better.
No internet forum is complete without the random sarcastic dick with thousands of posts under their belt. They have no actual friends, just tons of time to post on the internet all day.

Thanks for being that person Bikinfoolferlife, because without you, this forum would remain incomplete.

Also, thanks for being a part of this friendly community, I could only wish that all avid mountain bikers were as passionate about the mundane technicalities of life.

Have a nice day all,
Jim

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Well Jim I'm glad you boil all my contributions on the boards down to being a random dick from trying to correct you with a bit of sarcasm. I'll pretend I'm like your mommy and tell you everything you want is just fine with me and is just wonderful and you are never wrong...happy?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Well Jim I'm glad you boil all my contributions on the boards down to being a random dick from trying to correct you with a bit of sarcasm. I'll pretend I'm like your mommy and tell you everything you want is just fine with me and is just wonderful and you are never wrong...happy?
Thanks Mommy

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Or you simply could say nothing ;P you know, like the real advice a mother would give :D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.