Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building an all-mtb (like an enduro), and am not sure if I should get 6" or 8" disc brakes. How do I know if the caliper will fit my frame? Are there specific wheelsets that are made for larger rotors?

·
Registered
804 Posts
questions

johnbettsboy said:
I'm in the process of building an all-mtb (like an enduro), and am not sure if I should get 6" or 8" disc brakes. How do I know if the caliper will fit my frame? Are there specific wheelsets that are made for larger rotors?
That all depends.

What kind of terrain? How big are you? What frame / fork? How heavy of a build are you planning for your new bike?

Personally, I'd rather have too much brake than not enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
frank n. beans said:
That all depends.

What kind of terrain? How big are you? What frame / fork? How heavy of a build are you planning for your new bike?

Personally, I'd rather have too much brake than not enough.
I'm a pretty small rider, 5'6" about 140lbs. I do XC and freeride type biking. I haven't actually bought a frame yet, but I was hoping to get a used Enduro or similar frame (around $500-600), and probably an '05 Fox Vanilla R. I am planning on building a somewhat lightweight (to get up hills) but durable all - mountain bike, roughly 27-30 lbs.

·
Registered
981 Posts
johnbettsboy said:
I'm a pretty small rider, 5'6" about 140lbs. I do XC and freeride type biking. I haven't actually bought a frame yet, but I was hoping to get a used Enduro or similar frame (around $500-600), and probably an '05 Fox Vanilla R. I am planning on building a somewhat lightweight (to get up hills) but durable all - mountain bike, roughly 27-30 lbs.
I weigh 135 lbs and use 6" rotors for my bike. I ride just XC nowadays. When I rode freeride/chairlifts stuff I used a 7" Magura setup that worked very well.

Technique is also just as important. I ride just about anything with my 6" Avid setup.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Your size ...

johnbettsboy said:
At your size riding XC, 6" will be more than enough twice over. I'm 285 and my 6" rotors are plenty for XC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.