Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where has the time gone. It felt like yesterday when the big brown box arrived with my black medium 5 spot. Oh the memories. Almost six month later I feel I can give an accurate review of a truely wonderful bike.
First the Bike: Medium five, Vanilla rlc,king headset and hubs, mavic 3.1, Romic rear with ti-spring, Thomson stem and post, Marta sl brakes, Sram xo rear with x-9 shifters. Pretty much my dream bike.
Places Its been: Well I live in Telluride Colorado so most of my riding is done on steep technical singletrack. Very long sustained climbs with fast loose descents. Ive also spent time this spring in Moab,Fruita,Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, and Cortez.

Likes: Wow what a bike. Its a very able climber overall for a five inch bike. On fire Rds it climbs well but obviously not as quick as a hardtail or superlight 3 inch travel bike. I do have Nokian NBX 2.3 tubeless tires wich way close to 900grams so that is part of the reason that it feels slightly slower then my old bike(RM INSTINCT). Certaily not a hog by anystretch. On tech singtrack it climbs like a dream. It roles over obsticals that certaily would stop most bikes. The suspention has the amazing ability to smooth the trails out. This allows me to crawl up super steep singetrack(sometimes going slow is the answer) or explode up rocky terrain. If you give the bike gas it flows over rocks and roots.
Decending on the 5-spot is a dream. I can take more speed into rough terrain then I ever could on my Rocky mountain. The faster you go the smother the bike feels. Ive hit rocks that I was possitive was going to bounce me around but they seem to dissapear as I hit them. The bike feels light and responcive on downhill wich make it very easy to take to the air. I bought a Yeti ASX(thought about becoming a freerider) and never used it. Ofcourse the 5 is a better climber but I also felt it was a better decender. Thats right I felt the 5 inch spot could hande what the 7 inch ASX could.Yes the ASX is a much beefer frame for straight drops but for decending superTech trails the light movability and super smooth suspention of the spot had me grabbing it everytime I hit the trail(even gondola runs). So I sold the ASX, it simply was not getting used.
Dislikes:
Overall.One hell of a bike. I could not be happier with my decition. From the deserts of Utah and Arizona to the high rockies of Colorado the 5 spot has preformed as well as I could possible imagine. Cant wait to get out and ride.
BSG

·
Registered
436 Posts
Nice reveiw, I hope to here another one at the 1 year mark, not that a 7 month report would be bad. Hech anytime you want is fine with me!

I do like what you said about liking the Spot so much that you never road the ASX. I kinda blindly bought a Spot, and Im selling my 6" Chamuco free ride frame wondering how the Spot was going to ride. I didnt know if it would desend as well as the Ventana, Im climbing is no problem, so your reveiw is very comforting. Funny, I allmost bought a ASX thinking that doing some drops would be fun, glad I didnt though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.