Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Heckler and would like to put a 6 inch fork on it. What fork would you run?
I was thinking of puttin on a sherman flick. I only have roughly 500 dollars. I like to ride aggressive trails and do drops. I am not much into hardcore downhill. i am really more of a trailrider, but love stunts and ladder trails. Reccomendations?

·
SamIAm
2,038 Posts
Pike

i stand outside
my pretty house
i lite a match
to start the fire
i call the cops
to letem know
its 22 walbury ave.
i thought i wanted this
i thought i wanted this
i meant to say
i said i wanted some more attention
i thought i wanted a story ending
i hate the pain
i hate the pain

i think that the truth is im scared
i think that im just scared to live
i think that the truth is that im everything that i hate....

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
SamL3227 said:
i stand outside
my pretty house
i lite a match
to start the fire
i call the cops
to letem know
its 22 walbury ave.
i thought i wanted this
i thought i wanted this
i meant to say
i said i wanted some more attention
i thought i wanted a story ending
i hate the pain
i hate the pain

i think that im just scared to live
i think that the truth is that im everything that i hate....
what is this

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hmm.. there are alot of choices for your ride. I have a few

- Flick
- Marzocchi All Mountain ( don't be fooled this is a tough fork that can hold its own in FR world, Thomas Vanderham rides one)
- Marzocchi Drop Off

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Retrofit a Firefly with the old TPC innards. SPV blows.Firefly forks are light and incredibly stiff. The Marzocchi 66 is like a single crown 888. Pretty sweet if you can afford it. Z1s and Z150s are also pretty awesome. In my opnion, the range of adjustment for Marzocchi forks a bit more limited, but they're strong and reliable.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
'05 Firefly Plus on my trail rig. I like it a lot. I used an '03 Marz Z1 FR QR20 before that, and I like the Manitou better. I decided to try the Firefly after riding a Minute 1 on my SS rig and being impresed with it.

I'd be interested to see how it performs w/o SPV and using TPC+ instead. I like the SPV for climbing and general riding, but don't like it as well when the trail turns dowhill. doesn't suck or anything like that, it just isn't quite as buttery as a Marzocchi with HSCV or shimstack damping.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
TPC is absolutely amazing. Supar plush! Mine was valved by Manitou for DJ, so it doesn't compress under hammering, and so it won't eat up the lip of the jump, but it still soaks up the big hits as well as the small bumps. I really don't like the feel of SPV. It feels really jittery to me, and I hate that it doesn't soak up the small stuff. Manitou OWNS!

·
Registered
3 Posts
new forks are a joy

I have a 05 Heckler and founs a Maverick DUC32 on ebay for $550. Thrilled with the performance and keeps the Heckler (XT/XTR, Avid Mech 203/185, Maverick DUC32, Fox DHX5.0, Crossmax) a bit under 30#'s and able to handle anything I have the balls to ride. If you don't feel comfortable in the second hand market I've seen the Sherman Firefly for $379 and it would be plug-and-play for you. I've only ridden the Firefly a few times but it's an admirable fork if you also like to climb what you bomb.

·
Fashionably functional...
310 Posts
I gotta agree w/ the Mav. <ine has taken the abuse of my 200lb body on some really bad landings and spills. It's really not classified as a FR fork but I already have it, I abuse my parts, and it holds up nicely.

·
Fashionably functional...
310 Posts
Must of accidentally erased the rest of my post. I have it on my Heckler. I weigh 200lbs. And I put mine through some really ugly landings and spills. It may not be classified a FR fork, but it has held up nicely for 2 seasons of abuse.

·
Light, Strong and Long
194 Posts

You cant really beat the Fox 36 right now. 36mm stanchions, 2 speed compression, air tunability and super plush. Also a patented hydrolic bottom out, that i can say from personal experience is super smooth and very functional. If your low on $$ so for a shermin flick. You can get an SPV version or TPC at 6 inches, whatever your preference is.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
I've got a Pike on my Kona Coiler and love it. For general trail riding the for sucks up everything and for doing drops the fork is just as buttery. The best thing about the Pike is the U-turn feature. You can drop your travel down to make climbing a little eaiser and raise it to max travel for doing DH freeriding or DJ's. I've been very pleased with the way it performs for me and for the price you can't go wrong!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.