Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

squish is good
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new frame and I want something with a rear thru axle and a very slack head angle. I'm looking at a IH 6 point but I'm a little fuzzy on whether or not it used a dedicated thru axle.

Any other suggestions? I'm thinking Marin Wolf Ridge as an option though I'm not sure about it's availability as a frameset.

some know me as mongo
take a good hard look at the Knolly Delirium T. i looked all over the place for a bike similar to what you are saying and ended up on that bike.

problems with the 6point is the 150mm rear axle and the 83mm bb shell. it will make the bike pretty shitty for long pedaling parts

squish is good
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sir_crackien said:
take a good hard look at the Knolly Delirium T. i looked all over the place for a bike similar to what you are saying and ended up on that bike.

problems with the 6point is the 150mm rear axle and the 83mm bb shell. it will make the bike pretty shitty for long pedaling parts
Yeah a Delerium T would be sweet but they cost too much new. If I could find a used one maybe...

I don't mind a 150mm rear hub or 83mm bb shell for climbing. I climb on my DH bike all the time, just would like something with the same stiffness with less weight and travel. I'm more worried about if it is clime-able as opposed to designed to climb. If it's light enough I'm happy.

Registered
You can always opt for a 10mm thru-axle on a traditional 6" frame. I'm running Hadley's 10mm axle on a Ventana El Terremoto and couldn't be happier with the stiffness. The rear end has quad bearings to make for a smooth-tracking ride. Just a thought.

squish is good
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lumagent Morple said:
You can always opt for a 10mm thru-axle on a traditional 6" frame. I'm running Hadley's 10mm axle on a Ventana El Terremoto and couldn't be happier with the stiffness. The rear end has quad bearings to make for a smooth-tracking ride. Just a thought.
I've been leaning in that direction, I'm a little apprehensive about spending over $200 on a hub though, at that price I figure I might as well look at used frames and just get a whole new bike for a couple hundo more.

altazo said:
Cannondale Moto or Prophet MX. Both run 12 x 135 rear thru axles...
Wow, I hadn't actually paid too much attention to the Prophet MX before, the geometry and rear axle setup looks really really cool. Too bad it looks chintzy as hell. I'll definitely consider it.

Clutchman83 said:
Yeah a Delerium T would be sweet but they cost too much new. If I could find a used one maybe...

I don't mind a 150mm rear hub or 83mm bb shell for climbing. I climb on my DH bike all the time, just would like something with the same stiffness with less weight and travel. I'm more worried about if it is clime-able as opposed to designed to climb. If it's light enough I'm happy.
I was looking everywhere for a used DT.....

ordered a new one, then a used one shows up :madman:
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/397337/

noMAD man
Clutch, if bang-for-buck is important for a bolted axle, surely you've thought about the thru-axle XT hub. I've used a couple of these, and they were strong, cheap, and reliable.

Attachments

squish is good
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TNC said:
Clutch, if bang-for-buck is important for a bolted axle, surely you've thought about the thru-axle XT hub. I've used a couple of these, and they were strong, cheap, and reliable.
I feel like I'm chasing my tail trying to get a straight answer on these. The way I read it a 10mm bolt on provides some stiffness bonus over a 9mm QR, but it doesn't come close to a dedicated thru axle. Now I've heard the Hadley system is supposed to convert your QR dropouts to a thru axle setup. I'm a little skeptical about how a conversion can compare to a dedicated design...

I'm in the market because I picked up my first real DH bike a couple months ago and I'm realizing the rear wheel stiffness on my Reign is a problem. I am much much more confident and have so much more control with the DH bike and specifically because the rear end doesn't do anything scheisty when I launch off a jump or push it in the corners. I want the same performance from my AM bike. You think a 10mm bolt on will provide this?

some know me as mongo
to be honest most 12mm axles out there really don't add too much in the stiffness department. what they are really there for is the security of the wheel so that it cannot shift.

also i went from a reign to a DT and it is very stiff (in the good ways) in comparison to it. it actually feels stiffer than my cove peeler did.

Registered
Clutchman83 said:
I'm in the market for a new frame and I want something with a rear thru axle and a very slack head angle. I'm looking at a IH 6 point but I'm a little fuzzy on whether or not it used a dedicated thru axle.

Any other suggestions? I'm thinking Marin Wolf Ridge as an option though I'm not sure about it's availability as a frameset.
The 6point uses a 12mm x 150mm thru axle for sure.
I believe you can order a Wolfridge from Adenalinebikes.com as a frameset.

squish is good
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wormvine said:
The 6point uses a 12mm x 150mm thru axle for sure.
I believe you can order a Wolfridge from Adenalinebikes.com as a frameset.
The Wolf Ridge from Adrenalinebikes.com is an older model, I'd be looking for the new version. Your positive the 6 point used the thru axle in 08? I'm waffling a little on that fact, found this thread in the Iron Horse forum: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=474958

well mannered lout
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.