Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first Santa Cruz and i went with the BLT. I love the bike already. Amazing in every way. I last bike was an 05 Spec Enduro with the Fox36 on the front. I am curious about how different the feel of the bike will be if i was to switch from my 5 inch Fox Float RLC to a 6 inch fork of some sort. I know i would gain alittle weight. On the last bike i did enjoy doing some drops and hucks but i wanted a faster bike. Let me know what has worked and what has not. I am considering the Marz FR150 SL or something like that, Talas 36 or a pike of some sort. Thanks for any input.

·
...is still one gear
139 Posts
Z150 FR maybe???

I started out with a 130mm 04 Z1 and found the bike to be extremely well-balanced - almost cross-country like. Having stepped off a bullit, the steering angle was quite steep (not surprising really, as they are completely different bikes - but we all like to compare). I realised this when I went over the bars once on small creek crossing. It got me thinking that I could run a slightly longer fork to push out the head angle a touch. I mounted my trusty Z150 FR (150mm travel) and really love the setup. The extra 20mm makes a lot of diffence - not just in terms of travel, but also because the front end is a little pushed out and the wheelbase also lengthened. It is super stable and holds a line great - just point and shoot. It has slowed the steering down a fraction, but it suits my riding style perfectly - call it freeride light, enduro or just fast & technical agro XC. One disadvantage is the weight - the Z150 is over 3kgs! The added advantage of the Marzocchis is the ETA and 20mm thru axle. Knowing that all Marzocchis build relatively high (they have a long axle to crown) I am really quite surprised that this setup works. It is pushing the boundries though... now if I can just get the idea of buying a Nomad out of my head. This solution isn't for for everyone, but it works for me.

Frame is a Med Ano with Fox RP3

Attachments

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The Pike is a good match for the Lt. The air models are very light and give 5.5" of travel which is a good balance with the rear suspension. The Pike can take a lot of abuse and even the coil model is still lighter than the competition. The coil version can be dialed right down to 95mm for climbing and can be locked out also.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I think I agree here.

ronny said:
The Pike is a good match for the Lt. The air models are very light and give 5.5" of travel which is a good balance with the rear suspension. The Pike can take a lot of abuse and even the coil model is still lighter than the competition. The coil version can be dialed right down to 95mm for climbing and can be locked out also.
I'm usually a longer-is-better type of rider, but the Pike series might be an ideal match for the BLT. Marky works at our shop, and I've been steering him towards something like the new Z1SL, but in retrospect a Pike might be a very good option and especially for the money and weight. Apparently the Pike has put to rest a lot of the older generation RS problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
maverick duc

Im running the mav DUC on my LT and that combo is awsome. Light, long travel, plush! what more could you ask for. These two were made for each other. The blur was begging for 150 forks, go for it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
6" Fork on BLT

Hey Onetothepowerof, just as a matter of interest, although we know you now have 20mm extra travel, what is the difference in Axle to Crown for both forks. This will determine the actual change in head angle.

By the way the bike looks sweet, mine is black to. ;)

Cheers
Ecka

·
...is still one gear
139 Posts
A-C difference...

Ecka said:
Hey Onetothepowerof, just as a matter of interest, although we know you now have 20mm extra travel, what is the difference in Axle to Crown for both forks. This will determine the actual change in head angle.

By the way the bike looks sweet, mine is black to. ;)

Cheers
Ecka
Axle to crown difference is also 20mm!
-axle to crown of the Z1 130mm = 518.5mm
-axle to crown of the Z150 FR 150mm is 538.5mm

The axle to crown measurements for single crown Marzocchi forks haven't changed much over the years...only the 2005 66ers were much higher and have been brought back in line for 06.

-axle to crown of the 06 66 RC2X 150mm = 535.2mm
-axle to crown of the 06 66 RC2X 170mm = 555.2mm

You can check out all the marzocchi heights at:
http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/listSPAForkStatistics.asp?IDFolder=229&LN=UK&Sito=mtb

·
Registered
400 Posts
Marky Mark said:
I just got my first Santa Cruz and i went with the BLT. I love the bike already. Amazing in every way. I last bike was an 05 Spec Enduro with the Fox36 on the front. I am curious about how different the feel of the bike will be if i was to switch from my 5 inch Fox Float RLC to a 6 inch fork of some sort. I know i would gain alittle weight. On the last bike i did enjoy doing some drops and hucks but i wanted a faster bike. Let me know what has worked and what has not. I am considering the Marz FR150 SL or something like that, Talas 36 or a pike of some sort. Thanks for any input.
I'm curious to hear which fork you decided on, and how it works out for you. I'm really close to placing an order on a Blur LT, but I just can't decide what fork I want. I was thinking of going with the Fox Vanilla 130 RLC, but I'm kind of curious about the Marzo Z1 SL and the Marzo Z1 Light. I may just get the Vanilla for now and upgrade to a 6" fork down the road.

·
Registered
400 Posts
onetothepowerofn said:
I started out with a 130mm 04 Z1 and found the bike to be extremely well-balanced - almost cross-country like. Having stepped off a bullit, the steering angle was quite steep (not surprising really, as they are completely different bikes - but we all like to compare). I realised this when I went over the bars once on small creek crossing. It got me thinking that I could run a slightly longer fork to push out the head angle a touch. I mounted my trusty Z150 FR (150mm travel) and really love the setup. The extra 20mm makes a lot of diffence - not just in terms of travel, but also because the front end is a little pushed out and the wheelbase also lengthened. It is super stable and holds a line great - just point and shoot. It has slowed the steering down a fraction, but it suits my riding style perfectly - call it freeride light, enduro or just fast & technical agro XC. One disadvantage is the weight - the Z150 is over 3kgs! The added advantage of the Marzocchis is the ETA and 20mm thru axle. Knowing that all Marzocchis build relatively high (they have a long axle to crown) I am really quite surprised that this setup works. It is pushing the boundries though... now if I can just get the idea of buying a Nomad out of my head. This solution isn't for for everyone, but it works for me.

Frame is a Med Ano with Fox RP3
How does your BLT handle on steep climbs with the Z150 on it? Does the front wheel wander at all on you?

·
Registered
101 Posts
fredaudi said:
Im running the mav DUC on my LT and that combo is awsome. Light, long travel, plush! what more could you ask for. These two were made for each other. The blur was begging for 150 forks, go for it!
What is SC's stance regarding dual-crown forks & warranty issues on the BLT? I just bought a BLT and, like the fellow who started this thread, am considering a longer fork... The DUC looks like a nice choice, provided it won't void the warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Forks on the BLT

I went with the Pikes (454 u turn).
I reckon they are a great match with the rear suspension, at full travel the axle to crown is 520mm which slackens the head angle nicely.

As a bonus my BLT with Pikes weighs 29.5lbs (13.4kg), including pedals and 2.25 tyres.

Cheers
Ecka

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.