Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I did a search for some help on this and couldn't find anything so thought I would put it out there.
I am doing my second 6hr race this July and my first didn't go all that well (crapping severely after 4 1/2 hours) Anyway. I will be doing this race solo in terms of support and am just not sure given that how and what to put in my pit area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just be organized, plan your hydration and fuel before hand. A cooler with everything organized for quick drop off and pick up, try an empty bucket or bin for empty dirty bottles so you don't get them mixed up with clean full ones, plus it will be less clean up at the end of the day when you arn't going to want to do much anyway. Bring a chair for the end of the day you are going to want it for a little brake before cleaning up and heading home. If you are using a pack for hydration make sure you have a table or something a bit higher so you are not all hunched kneeling on the ground trying to fill up your pack, I know for me that fully flexed position will make a nice little opportunity for your nervous system to take a brake and cause all kinds of cramping.

As far as cramping goes just make sure you do your training prep, be really fit going into it and during the race go slow at the start and keep building on that if you are just in it to finish keep that slow pace and finish the last hour strong. Cramps are caused by a multitude of factors including water, fuel, endurance, ect. So make sure you did your prep, drink lots of water, consume lots of carbs and electrolytes, and don't push too much into the red at the beginning of the race. Remember it is 6 hours long, being the third person into the single track on the first lap isn't going to give you the podium.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I can't add much more than that. I use a igloo cooler with ice water for easy fill up and mark all my nutrition bottles with numbers in a cooler. I just pick up the next one and drop the empty one in the cooler. If I need plain water or need to fill up another bottle, my igloo cooler is on the tail gait of my truck.

Strong legs going into the race and managing your effort will keep the cramping away. Fuel up well before the race and have your bike clean and ready to go. Depending on the conditions you may finish the whole race without having to clean or lube the chain, but be prepared to do that in a hurry in your pit. Also have stuff to fix a bad tire or flat. You may fix a flat on the trail, but need a better fix once you get to the pit.

If racing at night, have a lantern to light your area. I use an easy up with a battery powered light in the top of the canopy. Summer 6 hours races in Texas start at 6p-midnight to avoid the heat.

1,328 Posts
Only addition/clarification I'd make is to look for one of the "5 day" coolers with wheels.

These things keep stuff cold even in July with minimal extra ice. Also wheels are nice in case it's a long walk from the drop-off/parking to the actual pit.

Have fun!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I always seem to be struggling with nutrition so I took a cardboard six pack beer sleeve and labeled the individual compartments 1-6. I then laid out all the things I thought I'd want to eat over the course of the race and grouped them together based on calories, caffeine, ease of consumption, etc.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I always seem to be struggling with nutrition so I took a cardboard six pack beer sleeve and labeled the individual compartments 1-6. I then laid out all the things I thought I'd want to eat over the course of the race and grouped them together based on calories, caffeine, ease of consumption, etc.

GENIUS!

That is awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts