Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar question. I currently have Hope X2 brakes with hope floating rotors 160mm and 183mm. I am replacing the brakes with Shimano XTR M988. I presume that I can use the existing adaptors... does anyone have experience of this please?

·
bike weenie
589 Posts
tinley said:
I have a similar question. I currently have Hope X2 brakes with hope floating rotors 160mm and 183mm. I am replacing the brakes with Shimano XTR M988. I presume that I can use the existing adaptors... does anyone have experience of this please?
I came from X2s - tried the 160 rotor up front and didn't work. Rivets hit the caliper. May depend on your hub and fork - so probably worth a try, but I would start thinking about a backup plan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've read on another thread that the rotors are OK with the calipers... and I know my Hope adaptors are OK with my rotors. What I was hoping is that the XTR calipers will fit the Hope adaptors. I'm looking forward to some decent brakes, although the X2's do still sort of work the way thay always have... not very well!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
tinley said:
I've read on another thread that the rotors are OK with the calipers... and I know my Hope adaptors are OK with my rotors. What I was hoping is that the XTR calipers will fit the Hope adaptors. I'm looking forward to some decent brakes, although the X2's do still sort of work the way thay always have... not very well!
You need to tune your Hope's. The hope is a better brake than the xtr. Not as light, but will stop you better.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Relayden said:
Better than 2011 XTR's??? Doubt it, is your statement based on actually riding the XTR's?
Yes. I really like the XTR's. A lot, but they still fade with my type of riding. I do love the action of them. Great brake for trail riding but not good for heavier riders that push it a bit. Sorry but my Hope m6ti will out perform it all day long.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
eurospek said:
What advantages are there with these vs. a regular RT-75 rotor? Mainly I'm asking what's the difference between floating rotors and none? TIA.
I find them to be slightly sturdier (less truing) and and the bracking track is a tad wider (although that makes no difference since the shimano pads are not that wide anyway)

Plus they look cool ;)

·
bike weenie
589 Posts
mazspeed said:
Yes. I really like the XTR's. A lot, but they still fade with my type of riding. I do love the action of them. Great brake for trail riding but not good for heavier riders that push it a bit. Sorry but my Hope m6ti will out perform it all day long.
Comparing the m6ti to the XTR? How is that relevant?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
RWGreen said:
Comparing the m6ti to the XTR? How is that relevant?
It's not really. The xtr is lighter but cannot stop like the m6ti, but one of the people in this thread had problems with his x2's, and they also stop better than the xtr's, so I was telling him that those should be checked, and not scraped for the xtr.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Hope X2's are no where near as powerful as even the cheapest Shimano Deore... let alone the new XTR. There is nothing 'wrong' with the X2's. They are very easy to set up, service and bleed, but they are simply not very powerful brakes, especially for the weight and price. Mazspeed, your comments do not help answer any of the questions asked and to put it politely are pretty inaccurate anyway.:nono:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
tinley said:
My Hope X2's are no where near as powerful as even the cheapest Shimano Deore... let alone the new XTR. There is nothing 'wrong' with the X2's. They are very easy to set up, service and bleed, but they are simply not very powerful brakes, especially for the weight and price. Mazspeed, your comments do not help answer any of the questions asked and to put it politely are pretty inaccurate anyway.:nono:
I have the X2 on my wife's bike, as they were on my other bike before hand and when I ride it, it works very well. Even for my weight. Yes my response is accurate, the xtr's in my opinion are not as good in pure stopping power. And yes this doesn't have anything to do with the OP's original comments, so I am sorry there.

·
bike weenie
589 Posts
mazspeed said:
I have the X2 on my wife's bike, as they were on my other bike before hand and when I ride it, it works very well. Even for my weight. Yes my response is accurate, the xtr's in my opinion are not as good in pure stopping power. And yes this doesn't have anything to do with the OP's original comments, so I am sorry there.
I hope you're wrong. I just replaced the X2s with the new XTR trail.

These guys seem to think it's good enough for a downhill bike.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=687532
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239407

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
RWGreen said:
I hope you're wrong. I just replaced the X2s with the new XTR trail.

These guys seem to think it's good enough for a downhill bike.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=687532
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239407
Don't get me wrong, I really like the brake, but on my Specialized epic I faded them out. I decided to put them on my wifes bike and put my hopes on my new mojo hd. I thought the action and feeling on the xtr's are the best I ever felt, but I'm 225 pounds and like to fly downhills and they did fade. Badly. Then again I am really hard on brakes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In answer to my own question in this thread, The XTR fits perfectly with the Hope adaptor... but unfortunatly the mount on the caliper itself sticks out into the Hope floating rotor. I think I will correct this by filling down the brand new caliper :(

Mazspeed, are you talking about the new M988 XTR Trail that came out this year? It is very different to last years XTR! My X2's will also be finding a new home on my wife's bike!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
tinley said:
In answer to my own question in this thread, The XTR fits perfectly with the Hope adaptor... but unfortunatly the mount on the caliper itself sticks out into the Hope floating rotor. I think I will correct this by filling down the brand new caliper :(

Mazspeed, are you talking about the new M988 XTR Trail that came out this year? It is very different to last years XTR! My X2's will also be finding a new home on my wife's bike!
Yes, brand new trail version. All of my drive train is all 2011 XTR. It is a great brake, don't get me wrong, but when it faded during those long downhill runs, I was pretty worried for a bit. It's simply not meant to do what I was putting it threw. I went back to the heavier and beefier Hope brakes with red ebc pads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.