Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
mtbr member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run a 6" fork on the front of an MKiii? If so, was it worth it? What was the effect on cornering and handling? Downhill stability? Climbing? Could the switch void the warranty? To make a long story short, for aggresive all-mountain type riding would you stay with the Pike or go with the bigger fork?

If the bigger fork is the way to go- any recommendations?

·
...In the meantime.
222 Posts
I Have run a 2006 Z1 Light ETA on my 2005 MKIII without an issue. It really doesn't (IMO) effect my handling all that much aside from slacking the HA by about a degree. Won't hurt the handling or the bike...if you get the right fork.

·
mtbr member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses. The REASON I wrote the post was the fact- I do want to slacken the head angle one degree!!! I was hoping that extra degree would slow down steering and add a bit of stability while on the steeps- without adversly affecting the overall handling of the bike.

By switching to the 66/Z1, did the bike become more stable in the steeps? Did the steering slow down a noticible amount? Is the Pike still the better choice?

As for fork choices- a Z1 Light is definetly on the list. The Talas 36 (with 3 position knob) seems interesting.... Lyrik... Vanilla.. so many choices!

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
I run a Talas 36 on mine, killer fork. Although it is lacking the QR through-axle.

Great about the fork is that on the crown it has a quick switch level, so I can climb at 100 or 130 and run it at 160 for descents.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The BEST way to slacken your head angle on the MKIII is to replace your bottom headtube cup with a BETD -Giant AC headset reducer. This way you can install a regular 1 1/8 headset or (like I did) a cane creek +5 headset. This will add quite a bit of stack height to your headset without having to throw a huge fork on the bike. Take in mind your MKIII headset cups are NOT 1 1/8 or 1.5 cups, so you need this special reducer cup to allow 1 1/8 cups to be pressed in. BETD is the only company I know that makes a reducer cup for this type of head tube: https://www.betd.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryID=169
Once you get that on just throw a 5" pike or FOX 36 and you will have a bike that can throw down on freeride terrain or trail. I was considering a 6 Point but so far this bike is the answer.

·
Registered
679 Posts
DirtDiggler said:
The BEST way to slacken your head angle on the MKIII is to replace your bottom headtube cup with a BETD -Giant AC headset reducer. This way you can install a regular 1 1/8 headset or (like I did) a cane creek +5 headset. This will add quite a bit of stack height to your headset without having to throw a huge fork on the bike. Take in mind your MKIII headset cups are NOT 1 1/8 or 1.5 cups, so you need this special reducer cup to allow 1 1/8 cups to be pressed in. BETD is the only company I know that makes a reducer cup for this type of head tube: https://www.betd.co.uk/product_list.asp?CategoryID=169
Once you get that on just throw a 5" pike or FOX 36 and you will have a bike that can throw down on freeride terrain or trail. I was considering a 6 Point but so far this bike is the answer.
I did that mod and it has greatly improved the general handling of the bike IMHO. I run a manitou nixon (115 to 145mm almost all the time at 145mm)

Attachments

·
mtbr member
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I don't know what else to say - Thanks! A relatively cheap, easy and quick fix that will allow me to still use the Pike. You think the modification will slacken the angles 1/2, 3/4, 1 degree???

DirtDiggler- Nice Air by the way. I must also congratulate you on using the shortest stem I have ever seen on an MKiii. From the looks of the pic (ie. shorty stem, your shoes, the bash guard and your helmet) that bike probably spends more time in the air than on the ground! Keep up the good work!!!

Tartosuc- What model of FSA headset are you running?

·
Registered
679 Posts
DRTRIDR said:
I don't know what else to say - Thanks! A relatively cheap, easy and quick fix that will allow me to still use the Pike. You think the modification will slacken the angles 1/2, 3/4, 1 degree???

DirtDiggler- Nice Air by the way. I must also congratulate you on using the shortest stem I have ever seen on an MKiii. From the looks of the pic (ie. shorty stem, your shoes, the bash guard and your helmet) that bike probably spends more time in the air than on the ground! Keep up the good work!!!

Tartosuc- What model of FSA headset are you running?
I went for a strong fsa pig dh headset because the cups were very big, it gave me somewhere between 3/4 to 1 degree slacker...

·
Registered
679 Posts
bbsurfer said:
Is this Tamer Headset Reducer the right size?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11856-318_TAMHS1-3-Parts-63-Headsets/Tamer-Headset-Reducer.htm

It's a lot cheaper than the BEDT one.
nope it won't work...I,ve search a lot before buying the betd cups and I can assure you that only BETD make the reducer that you need..it adapt an integrated headset to a regular cup...it's different than 1/4' to 1/8... the reducer cuop from betd is the one made for giant AC integrated headset

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
DirtDiggler said:
wow...great idea!! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.