Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Ibex website, people who are 6' can fit 18" and 20" size. I was wondering what kind of sizes do you 6' Footers run? I have 19" Specialized which feels a little too big.

My seat post is position so that my legs don't hyper-extend during a pedaling but there is a slight bend (2-3 degrees)

·
my body breaks the falls
1,457 Posts
I suppose the fit will depend on how you're constructed at 6'. I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I went with the 20" frame and it feels right to me. There are some people who stand 6' with a 30" inseam who would probably prefer a shorter bike with longer top tube. Ibex has a fair amount of detail listed for the geometry and dimensions of the bikes. See how these compare to a bike you're comfortable on if you're uncertain.

·
Registered
87 Posts
strider said:
On the Ibex website, people who are 6' can fit 18" and 20" size. I was wondering what kind of sizes do you 6' Footers run? I have 19" Specialized which feels a little too big.

My seat post is position so that my legs don't hyper-extend during a pedaling but there is a slight bend (2-3 degrees)
I'm 6'0" with a 30" inseam and my 18" Asta fits perfect.

Teu

·
Registered
97 Posts
Like Twindaddy said, it really depends.

I'm 6' 0" and have a 32" inseam. I have an 18" frame and it fits perfect. I'm pretty confident the 20" would be too big...for me. I have tried out 17", 18" 19" and 20" frames on friends' bikes as well as in bike stores.
  • All the 17" bikes feel OK but maybe a little too small. I feel like the seat post has to be set too high to get proper leg extension. This makes me feel like I am too top heavy and always at risk of going over the bars.:eekster:
  • I kind of feel like I am on my tiptoes a bit too much on the 19"
  • The 20" feels too big. I can't even get both feet down without dropping the seat too low.

I could live with a 17" or a 19" frame on a bike (with 26" wheels) but the 18" seems to be my sweetspot. I'm sure there can also be some variance between different makes and models but I found the 17", 18", 19", and 20" fittings to be surprisingly consistent regardless of brand/model. It is probably worth it to try a few bikes out at your LBS if you haven't already done so. See what feels best regarding size.

The one difference I found when testing out different sizes, brands, and models was a Cannondale F5. I believe their medium frame is only 17" but it seemed to fit pretty much the same as my Asta 18" frame. :confused:

The bottom line for me is...
  • The 18" is the best fit for my body.
  • The 19" is a little too large for me but could work and would be my second choice if there were no 18" option.
  • The 17" could also work but not as well as the 18" or even the 19".
  • The 20" could work in a pinch - if it was a buddy's bike that he was letting me borrow because I had no other bike to ride and I was really jonesing for a ride - but I would blame any crashes or other mishaps that happened on that ride on the poor fit of the bike.:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
sizing

twindaddy said:
I suppose the fit will depend on how you're constructed at 6'. I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I went with the 20" frame and it feels right to me. There are some people who stand 6' with a 30" inseam who would probably prefer a shorter bike with longer top tube. Ibex has a fair amount of detail listed for the geometry and dimensions of the bikes. See how these compare to a bike you're comfortable on if you're uncertain.
thanks for the info twindaddy, I would have bought an asta weeks ago if I would figure out this sizing thing, I'm 6' 1" with an inseam of 33.5" and i think the 20" is the way to go ... but i'm just concerned that it could be to big and i would only realize this after time on the trail, i keep reading on the net that yo need 2-4" of standover, so i got that i guess .. but only from the standover and not the effective standover, and yesterday i sat on a trek fuel 19.5" and it seemed the standover was less than the 2-4" ... but my old trek 830 harctail is a 20.5" and it seems very slightly too large but i have riden it for ten years ok (don't have 2-4" of standover).. cunfused and beginning to think although i would rather by an asta the size thing may lead me to buy in a store instead ..:madman:

droid

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm 6' with a 34.5" inseam (with shoes) and have ridden 20" mountain bikes since the mid 90's. When I ordered my Asta Pro (18") I photoshopped my old 20" bike over the Asta's 18" geometry and the 2 lined up fairly closely. Before my Asta arrived, I built up an 18" Trek to get a feel for it. I actually prefer the smaller size which gives me more agility that I ever used to have with the old 20" bikes. The only issue I have is that the seat post is all the way up. I may have to upgrade to a 400mm post soon.

·
Thirsty
379 Posts
I'm 6'0" with a 30" inseam. 18" Asta fits perfectly.

I don't think stand over height should be a major factor in sizing. After all, the purpose is to ride the bike, not stand over it. It may fit fine standing over it, but not while riding. That would be problematic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mtbikedroid said:
thanks for the info twindaddy, I would have bought an asta weeks ago if I would figure out this sizing thing. [...] although i would rather by an asta the size thing may lead me to buy in a store instead ..:madman:
I'm in the same situation for my asta purchase. I'm 6'0" tall and have a 34" inseam (I wear 32 inseam pants) and I'm stuck between 18 and 20.

With 18 I might have the seat at max, and be in too aggressive of a position (I am new so will be probably not be doing aggressive riding.) But some say the 20 felt too big and everything I've read says it's better to be too small than to big. :confused:

Suggestions are welcome!

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
6' 3" 35" inseam on a 20" Asta. i don't think I could go down to an 18".

Edit: After a 20 mile rail trail ride today I'm thinking about going with a shorter stem. I'm a little stretched out on this thing, lol.

·
Expert novice
72 Posts
Just shy of 6' and 32 (pants) inseam and the 18" alpine fits me perfect. I'm in the same boat in that I came from a 21" trek 830 that was really made to fit with a short and high stem. Going to a smaller frame made all of the difference in the world. On the alpine, I actually have the seat all of the way forward and the cockpit length is just a tad long w/ 100mm stem. It looks like the asta has about an inch more top tube than the alpine, so i don't think you would feel cramped on an 18"

·
Registered
265 Posts
Measured...

rumatt said:
Thanks Bill.

Just to check... that's measured, or your pant size?.
The prefered method...
Using a book held level between my legs (up high and tight...) from the floor to the top of the book. = 33.5" with bike shoes.

--
Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.