Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there are any tall lanky guys out there on an SB-95's!

I'm currently on an XL Kona Honzo, with a 70mm stem, a bunch of spacers under it and a Reverb post (so no offset in the post head.) It feels good.

If I were to roll on an XL SB-95 I'd be losing an inch of effective top tube - the one number I really look at when considering frames. At 26" the Honzo is quite long… but so am I.

It would seem logical then that I would run a longer stem on the SB95 (let's say 100mm, for example) and perhaps a post with some setback to gain more reach. Would a stem of this length on the SB be acceptable - or would it start to kill the handling Yetis are known for? Or, am I focusing too much on top tube length and not seeing the forest for the trees?

Any input is appreciated! I have always admired Yeti - but we see very few of them in New England. Hoping to try and demo an SB this summer - and maybe join the Tribe after?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm the same height and run a 40mm stem. The fit is perfect and feels great for long rides and is confidence inspiring on the steeps. Coming from a 66c with a 26" top tube I much prefer the feel of the 95. I wouldn't be concerned about the size of the 95.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm the same height and run a 40mm stem. The fit is perfect and feels great for long rides and is confidence inspiring on the steeps. Coming from a 66c with a 26" top tube I much prefer the feel of the 95. I wouldn't be concerned about the size of the 95.
Cool. Out of curiosity, what's your inseam? And which 95 are you rocking?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm 6'5" and would find the 95 too short in reach. It really is quite a short bike in the XL when you compare it with other modern geometry bikes (even the SB66c). If you like running your saddle way back it might be OK but otherwise I'd really recommend a test ride if at all possible.

If I'm going for a bike with a relatively short stem (60-70mm) I want a reach of 18" or longer.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm 6'5" and would find the 95 too short in reach. It really is quite a short bike in the XL when you compare it with other modern geometry bikes (even the SB66c). If you like running your saddle way back it might be OK but otherwise I'd really recommend a test ride if at all possible.

If I'm going for a bike with a relatively short stem (60-70mm) I want a reach of 18" or longer.
I feel that bog. Not doing any frame purchasing till the fall, so hoping whatever yeti has up their sleeve will work with my new pike (fantastic fork!!) and has a long tt...

·
Registered
267 Posts
6'3", 215lbs with a XL SB95A.
Love this bike. Running a 40mm stem w/ 800mm bars and a KS Lev 6" dropper post.
By far, my favorite trail bike for covering long distances and still have fun jumping and riding stuff I would use my DH bike on. I have it set up with the seat all the way forward and it is still roomy. I'm sure it would fit your size, but try the extra wide bars, it makes all the difference. A 50mm or 60mm stem would stretch out a bit more if you really needed it. I have a XL 575 too, and this is HUGE compared to it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback so far. I suppose the simple way to look at it is - a ETT that's 25.4mm less than what i am used to can be compensated by adding the same amount to the stem - and finding a dropper with some offset to it.

I prefer my saddle even with my handlebars - and no more. One plus of the '95 over my Honzo is a longer head tube - I'll be able to get the cockpit up that much higher without a ton of headset spacers. That would help a lot with fit!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Im not sure if you can see it in the pic, but I use a lot less spacers on the SB95 than the 575. They sit at the same height, but the 95 can go alot bigger than I have it set up.
CAM00817.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts