Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of building a Reign and I wanted to know what was a good 6" strong, lightish weight fork, preferably around 600 dollars. I'd like a fork that can also take hits from light freeride and downhill. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Since it sounds like 20mm will be required, one that would fit that category might be the Z1 Light. I would suggest, however, that the fork is one area where you don't let price limit you if at all possible. The frameset and fork choice are the extreme biggies in the quality of your bike. You can fudge on some other stuff and upgrade later. Go for a Van 36 or 66SL for your bike. It will be worth it IMO.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of the 66 seeing that you can adjust it from 6 to 7 inch. But, how much does it weigh, and will using the 7" set up be akward on the reign. Oh yeah, and does it climb ok?
Thanks

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
markseelos805 said:
I was thinking of the 66 seeing that you can adjust it from 6 to 7 inch. But, how much does it weigh, and will using the 7" set up be akward on the reign. Oh yeah, and does it climb ok?
Thanks
With the 66sl, the travel adjustment is done with an air pump. I tried a fork with a 555mm a/c on my Reign and though it put the BB a little to high. It should work pretty well at 150mm (maybe 160??) if you run enough sag.

FWIW the stock swinger on the reign is a pretty linear shock and you might find it a little limiting if you have something very capable on the front. The swinger has a 2" stroke, but a shaft length of 2.5", so if your o-ring is 0.5" from the bottom of the shaft, you are using all the travel.

The new RS Lyric looks pretty interesting for the Reign - 115 to 160mm with on the fly adjustability. Unfortunately it's going to be around $1000. :nonod:

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'd suggest the Maverick DUC32....
You get 6" of plush travel at less than 4lbs.

My wife has one on her GF FatPossum, and it's definitely an awesome fork. She's also had none of the problems attributed to the DUC32. The strange axle size might be an issue when/if she wants a different wheelset, but otherwise there's no complaints.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Putting a double crown fork on the Reign will void the warenty, so the DUC32 is out.

IIRC the Marzocchi AM forks run pretty tall for their travel. The AM at 150mm would be same height as the 66sl at 160mm.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
markseelos805 said:
Thanks
A few corrections.

• The 06 66SL will adjust from 130mm to 170mm with out exceding the PSI maximums.
  • It weighs 5.66lbs with the axle and full steer tube.
  • The a-2-c on the 66 is actually lower than the AM series for a given amount of travel.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
SSINGA said:
A few corrections.

• The 06 66SL will adjust from 130mm to 170mm with out exceding the PSI maximums.
  • The a-2-c on the 66 is actually lower than the AM series for a given amount of travel.
Would this put the Z1 into the territory of obsolescence?

·
Boyeeee
1,010 Posts
Just got a new 06 66 RC2x from DownShiftCycles for $550 out the door.
Looks good on my VPX.

DSC has 06 AM1's for $480, AMSL's for $475, and Z1SL's for $475 right now.

This is a good time for bargains on Marzocchi's. Hurry up and buy before the bargains disappear.

·
Registered
142 Posts
BCBlur said:
Just got a new 06 66 RC2x from DownShiftCycles for $550 out the door.
Looks good on my VPX.

DSC has 06 AM1's for $480, AMSL's for $475, and Z1SL's for $475 right now.

This is a good time for bargains on Marzocchi's. Hurry up and buy before the bargains disappear.
The 66 is a sweet fork, but it's more for burly freeride than light freeride/AM. It would seem that unless your doing big drops/jumps then what is the point of having something with that much travel and weight?

The 2006 AMs are all QR. If your considering a 66 than you would probably would want to avoid a QR fork. I just ordered a '05 Z1 for my future Preston FR:) I was thinking about the 66 but I'm not gapping 40 footers plus the weight difference was 2lbs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
SSINGA said:
A few corrections.

Thats light! Are you using this fork? Hows it ride? I'm kind of apprehensive about an air shock, I wonder how these will hold up in the long run compared to springs

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
See, what confuses me so much about the z1 vs 66 is that I've even asked about the All Mountain 1 and been told to check out the 66 and it's made to look like the perfect fork for even AM riding. It seems the 66 is a great fork, but why would anyone want to get a z1 if they can get a 66? I still can't figure this out. If the 66 is so light, is it really overlapping into AM/FR territory? What are the shortcomings for AM riding?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.