Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock Swinger 3 way air on the Reign is 7.875x2.0. If my calculations are correct, if I put on a 7.875x2.25, I would have increased travel to 6.75". Would this work? or would the swingarm hit the frame? Letting all the air out of the shock and completely compressing it leaves about 1" between the swingarm and the seattube; not sure about other areas that might be affected.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but with the longer stroke, leverage ratios will not change. So the feel of the suspension should remain the same, except I would get more travel.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
It should be ok aside from voiding your warranty. IMHO I think it would make more sense to get a float/rp3 pushed so they can make the setup more progressive. Quality of travel trumps the amount of travel…. Just my 2c

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Jwiffle said:
... or would the swingarm hit the frame? Letting all the air out of the shock and completely compressing it leaves about 1" between the swingarm and the seattube; not sure about other areas that might be affected.
I forgot to add that the swinger probably has an internal bottom out bumper which won't compress when you let all the air out of the shock.

Make a mock shock out of a bit of wood or plastic by drilling the holes in the fully compressed position, see if contacts anything, if not it should be good. Let us know how it goes.

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steve71 said:
It should be ok aside from voiding your warranty. IMHO I think it would make more sense to get a float/rp3 pushed so they can make the setup more progressive. Quality of travel trumps the amount of travel…. Just my 2c
ooh, good point about the warranty...hadn't thought of that:madman: I think I will not do it, then. I was just thinking about it, thought it may be a nice addition when the Swinger bites the dust (so far it has worked fine for a year and a half). May try the RP23 sometime. But it is a ways from happening, anyway, since I'm going to keep the Swinger till it croaks.

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steve71 said:
Yeah that is odd. I wonder if the Reign gets a little more than 6" then :confused: Or perhaps the leverage ratio is less than 3:1.
Yeah, that's why I was certain it had a 2.25 stroke for the longest time. But when I called Giant to double-check, they told me it was a 2.0 stroke. I'm surprised, since you can get that eye2eye with a 2.25 stroke that they didn't design it with that stroke to get a lower leverage ratio. but, even with the somewhat high leverage ratio, the bike rides great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.