Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that you lucky nonheight challenged meduim and large framed 6.6 riders have had your bikes rolling for a while by now you've figured out a few things about the sweet spot for the rear shocks pressure. Care to help some brosters out?

·
aka...appBLING72
1,032 Posts
drumstix said:
Now that you lucky nonheight challenged meduim and large framed 6.6 riders have had your bikes rolling for a while by now you've figured out a few things about the sweet spot for the rear shocks pressure. Care to help some brosters out?
Put a spring on it, and it will feel much better. :D :D JK man. I will convert you over to the CCDB before too long, and then you can return the DHX - A to Walmart. JK. IT's a good shock, just doesn't feel like the CCDB. See ya man!

·
aka...appBLING72
1,032 Posts
Cowboy-jeff said:
Aappling72, I'm curious, how much does the CCDB cost?
IT is $650 with Stesl Spring and $850 with Ti. Not much more than a Pushed DHX by the time you buy the shock and send it to them to push.

·
1,247 Posts
drumstix said:
i'm 167-171ish.. my weight flucuates waaaaay too much.
i'm running my main at about 172.. gives me about 30% sag.
I have 3 clicks from the slowest rebound, and 4 clicks from the most propedal.
I heard that vpp works best with no pp (?), so maybe i'll give that a try when it stop pouring over here in cali.. :)

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Booster

unfluid one said:
i'm 167-171ish.. my weight flucuates waaaaay too much.
i'm running my main at about 172.. gives me about 30% sag.
I have 3 clicks from the slowest rebound, and 4 clicks from the most propedal.
I heard that vpp works best with no pp (?), so maybe i'll give that a try when it stop pouring over here in cali.. :)
How much do you have in the Booster?

·
1,247 Posts
Cowboy-jeff said:
How much do you have in the Booster?
hm... i never checked it until now... and it was at 200. maybe a lil over. SC website recommends the nomad to be setup at 100psi boost. Does it have to be measured with the main totally deflated? Anyways, 200 is way high, so i lowered it to 110 for now...

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Similar

unfluid one said:
hm... i never checked it until now... and it was at 200. maybe a lil over. SC website recommends the nomad to be setup at 100psi boost. Does it have to be measured with the main totally deflated? Anyways, 200 is way high, so i lowered it to 110 for now...
My winter weight is about 155lbs. I have 100 in the Booster, 170ish in the main and 4 clicks of PP from the off end. That gives me my 30% sag. I didn't count the clicks on the rebound. It's true that you really don't need the PP on this bike. I had it off on one climb and it only bobbed very slightly than with 4 clicks. Once the weather clears I'll try a few different combo's.

By the way, the CCDB is way out of the ball park for me. If the Fox ever dies out then I pick one up on my way to Divorce court :D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
aappling72 said:
Put a spring on it, and it will feel much better. :D :D JK man. I will convert you over to the CCDB before too long, and then you can return the DHX - A to Walmart. JK. IT's a good shock, just doesn't feel like the CCDB. See ya man!
Hey aappling72, do you do long rides with a heavy backpack (lot's of water) sometimes and other times just short ones with nothing? I was wondering since the VPP suspension is so picky about achieving correct sag, how it is with a coil shock in order to account for loosing 5 to 10 pounds between different type of rides or even during the same ride? Are you able to get enough adjustment just by turning preload ring on the coil? If so I guess it could be another advantage of the coil setup in a sense, a very quick and easy adjustment without having to mess around with a pump each time...

·
aka...appBLING72
1,032 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
Hey aappling72, do you do long rides with a heavy backpack (lot's of water) sometimes and other times just short ones with nothing? I was wondering since the VPP suspension is so picky about achieving correct sag, how it is with a coil shock in order to account for loosing 5 to 10 pounds between different type of rides or even during the same ride? Are you able to get enough adjustment just by turning preload ring on the coil? If so I guess it could be another advantage of the coil setup in a sense, a very quick and easy adjustment without having to mess around with a pump each time...
I usually just carry the same pack because I'm too lazy to change two of them around all the time. However, I haven't had any problems with a 5-10lb weight fluctuation causing the bike to react funny. I like a little more sag than recommended, but it seems to be perfect. No bob on pedalling and it eats up the bumps and drops. so, as of now, it is the best thing going.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
aappling72 said:
I usually just carry the same pack because I'm too lazy to change two of them around all the time. However, I haven't had any problems with a 5-10lb weight fluctuation causing the bike to react funny. I like a little more sag than recommended, but it seems to be perfect. No bob on pedalling and it eats up the bumps and drops. so, as of now, it is the best thing going.

Yeah like double a, I know the talk and importance of sag on a VPP bike, I ran way more sag on my VPX, 30-50 percent sag and it still road and pedalled great. I think as long as you set the bike up with the least amount you will be fine. If you dont run the least amount of sag like a leg-shaver XC guy might do for ultimate XC stiff-racer boy stuff then you might have some ride problems, running more sag will give you a super plush FR type ride, thats the way I usually run my shocks.

·
1,247 Posts
drumstix said:
Yeah like double a, I know the talk and importance of sag on a VPP bike, I ran way more sag on my VPX, 30-50 percent sag and it still road and pedalled great. I think as long as you set the bike up with the least amount you will be fine. If you dont run the least amount of sag like a leg-shaver XC guy might do for ultimate XC stiff-racer boy stuff then you might have some ride problems, running more sag will give you a super plush FR type ride, thats the way I usually run my shocks.
yeah i was previously running about 41% sag and it felt real nice with 170 in the main. Then I checked the boost last night and find out it's way way high at 200psi! . I mess around with it for a lil bit before an urban session today and set it at 125psi at the boost, 185 main chamber to get about 30% sag. I was using much more of my full travel even on the small stuff, but it didn't bottom out on the small drops... way plush! I have yet to touch the BO knob.. but so far so good. If I bottom out.. will the O-ring fall off the shaft? I notice that when I release the fox pump from the main chamber, the psi stays the same if I go and check it later, but the boost runs about 20psi lower on the check. Hopefully the drop occurs when I re-attached the pump to check and not when i release the first time.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts