Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I hope you can help me out.

I have a 06 6.6 with a RP3 on it and I am struggling to get it set up right. I have tried a few settings today (first ride) starting at 170psi. I can get the 17mm sag when I am stood on it, but as soon as I sit down it blows through to about 50% travel. To counteract this I stick more air in (and have very little sag when stood up), it loses all small bump sesitivity, but it still sits at about 50% whilst sat and bottoms out on gentler trails.

I try and get the sucker in the air as much as possible and find the more fun/challenging ways down the trail if you need a insight into my riding style. Would a coil be better?

What do you guys put in your RP3's, is this common or how VPP is? Does it sound like a bad shock?

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
wildboytim said:
my bad, about 170 with kit
yeah i'm having a similar issue! i just loading my RP23 with 210 psi, with about 200lb total rider weight. i have about 40% sag and it feels like i'm going to bottom out on a curb huck. i could run a low propedal and that helps a lot but kills the small bump sensitivity. i'm already planning to get a coil shock, so this might not be an issue for too long.

maybe i'm just a fat fat PEE-EYE-GEE PIG. :madmax:

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=160681

WildboyTim,
I gave you the link to the thread I used to set up my DHX Air. Even though it's a different shock I was having the same problem. I was surprised to see how high the pressures were but I followed the other examples and it's much better. Maybe it'll be the same for the RP3.
Good luck,
Kat

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
It's probably inevitable that you're going to give up your small-bump compliance when you use a Fox air shock on the 6.6. I have an RP23, run about 220# on the bike, and I have to use the lowest Propedal setting to achieve the best sag-vs-sensitivity-vs-progressiveness on the bike. I run about 270# air in the main can and the first PP setting.

Rumor has it the PUSH mod is supposed to make this better.

p.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Paul B said:
It's probably inevitable that you're going to give up your small-bump compliance when you use a Fox air shock on the 6.6. I have an RP23, run about 220# on the bike, and I have to use the lowest Propedal setting to achieve the best sag-vs-sensitivity-vs-progressiveness on the bike. I run about 270# air in the main can and the first PP setting.

Rumor has it the PUSH mod is supposed to make this better.

p.
yeah i just cameback from a very wet ride and i ran 240 psi. i'm about 200 lbs ride ready. i tried riding with the propedal OFF, and it was sagging about 40%. When in position 1, propedal gives me the correct 17mm, but isn't as compliant. hit a double pretty hard landing and it didn't bottom, which is a good thing though.

i also have a easton setback post, might try my zero offset post, to see if that helps distribute the weight more evenly on my bike. i'll also try and lower the front end with a negative rise stem and a flush top headset cup. that should also help.

at $150 for the factory Push mod, i'll probably sell my rp23 and buy a roco...PaulB have you considered a coil yet? i've heard good things about coils on 6.6's.

·
Registered
782 Posts
misctwo,

So, where is the photo of the complete bike;) ?

My Manitou Evolver ISX6 has been very good on my 6.6.
My first impression was right. It feels and adjust like coiled 5th Element but it's air.

When I'm riding and feel like the bobbing is too much, I turn the low speed compression in, but it doesn't loose the plushness whole a lot.

When you go to Intense, you should ask them to test ride one with Evolver.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
OneBikeGuy said:
misctwo,

So, where is the photo of the complete bike;) ?

My Manitou Evolver ISX6 has been very good on my 6.6.
My first impression was right. It feels and adjust like coiled 5th Element but it's air.

When I'm riding and feel like the bobbing is too much, I turn the low speed compression in, but it doesn't loose the plushness whole a lot.

When you go to Intense, you should ask them to test ride one with Evolver.
soon, man, soon...it's dirty now. :thumbsup:

TNC also recommended the evolver too. i'm going to look into that. but it's air and my preference is for coil...always plush and if done right feels bottomless...i like the manitou 4way on my tazer though....very powerful.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hey, what's wrong with being dirty!!;)

Actually, I keep my bikes clean especially when I take photos and people think I'm a poser.

Anyway, hey if you are certain about the coil, go for the coill, I totally dig it.
My case is to combine the street hacking and mountain, so I go for the lighter solution, but I'm certain that Evolver can take the downhilling, too.

Roco should be interesting, but one thing I would recommend is to have bottom out control, maybe be? What do Intense people tell you?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.