Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LBS set up zip-tie deal that looked pretty cool for rear cable routing thru the upper pivot and along seat stay. But the cable housing is cutting into the seat tube. So bad that the housing is down to metal and the seat tube paint worn thru to aluminum. I only noticed it after a 35-mile epic with 4k of climbing, almost all grind-it-out fire road. Yes some of us don't use chair lifts. The housing almost wore thru completely to cable.

Anyone else have this problem? I checked the photo album and all other 6.6 setups just let that cable run loose thru there, no zipties. But does the housing slap against the seat tube? I notice a coupla bikes with tape or velcro or whatever around the seat tube, presumably as protection. Thanks for any guidance folks!

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
That's why I got the raw one. :D

I just use the normal braze ons that exist. I changed the brake hose to mimic the pivot point so that it doesn't crimp.

I only mountain bike when there's a chairlift involved so take that for what it's worth. Thank god they are located at 99% of the mountain bike trails in this country.

·
1,247 Posts
I put that lizard skin frame protection sticker on my seat tube, and noticed the cable housing had worn through as well. So I just wrapped eletrical tape a few times aroung the housing as well. So far so good... But i image you will have to replace this every so often as it wears down.

If your housing is straight enough going through the link, it won't slap.

·
rain rain go away...
1,195 Posts
look at the Nomad or M3 and copy that routing. my routing is perfect from the day i routed it like that. no more pinch housing or rubbing on the frame. it's not super pretty but it friggin' works so well i don't care. ;D the new SOCOM is routed that way now too.

I added a clear vinyl hose at the main bend of the shifter housing as it was cracking... so far it's holding out very well. i'm still using that cracked housing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
peachy-B said:
what happens to this area when u bottom the rear?

i'm thinking that the cable might get caught w/ the rear tire.

what's the shifter housing... nice.
It looks like actually the wire hardly moves. It certainly does not get pushed toward the tire. I dropped at some stairs with 80% of the shock travel was used and had no problem with the cable hitting the tire. I will take off the shock and cycle the rear link and see what happens. The cable housing is I think either Clarke or Jagwire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.