Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our first 6.6s in, I didn't get a chance to ride one at dirt demo, so, but I have got to ride my buds..
he's had a LOT of bikes....
at the moment he's got an 05 5 spot, 05 motolite and now the 6.6, all with basically the same build kit on them
he's blown away and was NOT a VPP believer.. it flat out rocks with the 6.6
it seems impossible to have a bike with that much travel that can accelerate like this bike... running a healthy dose of sag you can just slam the pedals and the bike jumps forward. The rear end doesn't squat, the bike just leaps forward

it also handles tight, so, it's a great woods technical bike, the bike just feels "right" and has a great balanced feel to it
very impressed..

I really like the cleaner graphics and the "paint jobs" look really nice






 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Hey Charles, great pics! That "dark blue" is really slick! hummmmm

Can you elaborate a bit on what blows your bud on the VPP design versus his other HL bikes? You talk a lot about acceleration and pedalling so I assume he's happy about climbing and sprinting qualities but how about bump absorption quality on the downhill? Does it fell much better then his other bikes in this aspect?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
6.6 Impressive going UP and Down

Banzi, going down the bike handles very well. It's stable, very supple bottomless feel to the rear. I had to change out my SPV for a new Intrinsic on the Nixon to match to the plushness of the rear. But for me the biggest difference from the 5 spot or the Titus ML is the acceleration with bump absorption as you climb. It defies belief that a rear that is so plush and can gobble up the big square edge ledges we have in Austin can jump when you stomp on the pedals. We have a lot of tight twisty climbs, you have to track stand around a tree and then jam up a steep loose hill with a big ledge at the top. The bike loves steep loose climbs, it's does not hunker down in it's travel as you go up the steeps like the other bikes I'm use to. It keeps a level attitude, with no front end drifting.

I just got back from a little 2 1/2 hr jaunt, and cleaned two nasty rocky climbs that I have never cleaned before. As Charles said I was a VPP skeptic. I had spent some time on a Blur and was unimpressed. But step VPP up to a big travel bike and WOW. Much better pedaling manners with umber plush suspension. It's doesn't seem possible. I do kind of wish I had waited for the midnight blue one. In person the color is stunning.
HoJo
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
Nice pix

I've never seen that lower view of the rear tire clearance. I like the built in lower link "fender", the sheet of shear reinforcement just above the lower rear pivot. Mud and dust are the culprits to bearing long-life, wicking the grease out past the seals.

I wish I could afford one. Maybe next year. I still luv my Tracer's versatility but I've been spoiled by testing some longer travel that climbs just as easily.

- ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,850 Posts
Nice touch there on the rear triangle beam. They carved it out to clear the front derrailleur cage better. The welds look absolutely flawless.
 

·
Penny's my cow-cat
Joined
·
303 Posts
The WOW factor!

Hey, that's a damn nice bike! I'm still undecided between the Uzzi and this little guy. Although now after viewing those pic's I'm leaning toward the 6.6 (still hate the name). What a headache trying to pick out what color to get, they all look so tasty :D One question though, are the hydro guide lines closed or open? They look closed but I'm not sure.
 

·
Trail Rider
Joined
·
914 Posts
HoJo said:
Banzi, going down the bike handles very well. It's stable, very supple bottomless feel to the rear. I had to change out my SPV for a new Intrinsic on the Nixon to match to the plushness of the rear. But for me the biggest difference from the 5 spot or the Titus ML is the acceleration with bump absorption as you climb. It defies belief that a rear that is so plush and can gobble up the big square edge ledges we have in Austin can jump when you stomp on the pedals. We have a lot of tight twisty climbs, you have to track stand around a tree and then jam up a steep loose hill with a big ledge at the top. The bike loves steep loose climbs, it's does not hunker down in it's travel as you go up the steeps like the other bikes I'm use to. It keeps a level attitude, with no front end drifting.

I just got back from a little 2 1/2 hr jaunt, and cleaned two nasty rocky climbs that I have never cleaned before. As Charles said I was a VPP skeptic. I had spent some time on a Blur and was unimpressed. But step VPP up to a big travel bike and WOW. Much better pedaling manners with umber plush suspension. It's doesn't seem possible. I do kind of wish I had waited for the midnight blue one. In person the color is stunning.
HoJo
Does the extra weight have any downside to your climbing performance? I've heard that
this bike feels lighter than it actually is. How about braking and loose technical climbing performance? This bike sounds like the best VPP frame that has come out. I like the toned down decals also. I like that Java color also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Looks like your red pics came out like mine...

The red is hard to take good pics of, and really capture the color. A color that has been growing on me, since we got it in, was the "Java". I think I captured it as close as possible here. Its like really light, heavily creamed, coffee color.

Unbelievably impressed with these frames so far. Time will tell when people start hucking them off 10-15 footers, but its hard to imagine these frames having that much of a problem with that. Its literally a slightly smaller version of the Uzzi.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,751 Posts
Cowboy-jeff said:
What a headache trying to pick out what color to get, they all look so tasty :D
That's an understatement. I'd have to say the Midnight Blue is my favorite though or maybe the steel blue.... or maybe the Java. Sweet looking bike. :drool:

What's the frame run, Charles?
 

·
Penny's my cow-cat
Joined
·
303 Posts
Cost/color

KRob said:
That's an understatement. I'd have to say the Midnight Blue is my favorite though or maybe the steel blue.... or maybe the Java. Sweet looking bike. :drool:

What's the frame run, Charles?
I think they're going for around $ 1,950, which really isn't that much money when you think about it :eek: Think of it this way, it's either a very expensive toy or a very expensive exercise machine.The Midnight Blue is definitely on top of my list.

It snowed today :mad: And no Turkey for me! :mad: :mad: :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
HoJo said:
Banzi, going down the bike handles very well. It's stable, very supple bottomless feel to the rear. I had to change out my SPV for a new Intrinsic on the Nixon to match to the plushness of the rear. But for me the biggest difference from the 5 spot or the Titus ML is the acceleration with bump absorption as you climb. It defies belief that a rear that is so plush and can gobble up the big square edge ledges we have in Austin can jump when you stomp on the pedals. We have a lot of tight twisty climbs, you have to track stand around a tree and then jam up a steep loose hill with a big ledge at the top. The bike loves steep loose climbs, it's does not hunker down in it's travel as you go up the steeps like the other bikes I'm use to. It keeps a level attitude, with no front end drifting.

I just got back from a little 2 1/2 hr jaunt, and cleaned two nasty rocky climbs that I have never cleaned before. As Charles said I was a VPP skeptic. I had spent some time on a Blur and was unimpressed. But step VPP up to a big travel bike and WOW. Much better pedaling manners with umber plush suspension. It's doesn't seem possible. I do kind of wish I had waited for the midnight blue one. In person the color is stunning.
HoJo
Hey HoJo, good feedback, I appreciate it. That's an interesting point you bring about going up. My horst link climbs very well and is super plush absorbing bumpb going uphill but it does go very deep in it's travel and then the front end becomes light. I had never thought of that this way because I was always impressed by the fact that it absorbs bumps and you don't loose traction. What you describe of the 6.6 though is another step forward, it absorb but stays high in its travel, quite interesting.

Like someone else mentions, tell us how you feel about braking on the loose and/or bumpy downhill. Do you feel it tends to lock the wheel more or less than your horst link bikes?

Thanks much. That 6.6 sure looks slick. The cream/coffee color is kind of interesting but up to now the "midnight blue" is the one that stands out for me!

Cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
Those are beautiful frames. What's the weight? I tried to go to IntenseCycles, but to see the specs, you have to allow a tracking cookie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,598 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
Those are beautiful frames. What's the weight? I tried to go to IntenseCycles, but to see the specs, you have to allow a tracking cookie.
My medium was 7.73 lbs on two different digital scales-so about 7 3/4 lbs :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Try to answer the questions

1) Brake guides are open.
2) I did not weigh the frame, to giddy to build it up, but the full bike as shown above is 28.9lbs.
It weighs with in an ounce of a pound more than my 5 spot with the same build. I can not detect the weight difference when riding. Not to repeat myself, but the 6.6 scoots up steep rocky climbs better than the bikes I have owned, most were/are lighter.
3) Braking performance.... This is a very hard one, and I need to be verbose since I'm an engineer that analyses everything. I know the braking should stiffen, but the set up and size of the rear travel make it impossible for me to detect. I suspect other 6.5" design bikes set up this plush with 30% sag could provide better braking reaction in rocky loose terrain when only using the rear brake. The real question is could you then pedal that bike back up the hill with the vigor you can on the 6.6?? From my experience of 5" or less travel bikes with 25% sag, I can not feel it stiffening. But I'm like a guy coming from a hardtail, "it still feels plush to me". I have ridden many single and faux bars that did stiffen and produce rear end skip.

I rode a new trail system in San Antonio today, Government Canyon. Yo Texas riders you have got to try this out. Not big stunts, but lots of nice very rocky trails, good climbs, fun fast descents and incredibly well marked. Fun Fun Fun. One of my 5 spot riding buds, traded bikes with me for a spell. When I tore him off it he complained that I'm cheating and I must be a lousy rider to need all that help. Well I need all the help I can get.

HoJo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
Technical climbing marvel

As to the comment "I cleaned a climb I've never cleaned before"; that's exactly the reaction I had with my new UZZI. Having owned an 02, 5 Spot and RFX (still) I have some experience with Horst Link and Turner bikes. The first ride on my VPX, I rode up a difficult climb with an annoying step up 2/3 of the way up and cleaned it. Previously I had a 30% success rate on this climb. I don't know about the VPP riding experience on a shorter travel XC setup like a Blur, etc, but it seems (to me) the longer the travel, the more amazing the VPP advantage. The first time I took my VPX to the mountains I was speechless at the difference in bump reaction of the rear suspension. This after doing the same runs on my PUSH equipped RFX. The minimally rearward suspension movement on initial impact makes a real difference in the "feel" of the rear end. I wound up riding the VPX all summer as my cross country bike and sold the 5 Spot ( ! ).

(This site needs Spell Check!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Cowboy-jeff said:
Hey, that's a damn nice bike! I'm still undecided between the Uzzi and this little guy. Although now after viewing those pic's I'm leaning toward the 6.6 (still hate the name). What a headache trying to pick out what color to get, they all look so tasty :D One question though, are the hydro guide lines closed or open? They look closed but I'm not sure.
The hydro guides are open, if you are running a hydro brake you will have to loosen the rear linkage so you can run the brake correctly. I own an uzzi, but am about to sell it for a 6.6, they're about 2 lbs. lighter, roughly a pound of that is due to the rear shock being a air rather than a coil, the main thing that makes this lighter, seems to be the downtube, this thing only has 1" less trasel than my uzzi, I'm going to keep the parts from the uzzi, buy a fox 36rc2 and maybe some crossmax XL's, and use my marz. 66rc as my dh fork, and keep the azonic outlaws that i'm running on my uzzi as my race wheels, the 6.6 is definitely a more of an all rounder. If you're interested in a 6.6 we have a couple in stock at competitive cyclist.com., we have a java, green, satin black, pearl, and a ti gray in medium, and in large we have a satin black. If you're down for an uzzi we have one in medium in satin black. [email protected]
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top