Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
suspension whore
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems like not a lots of hard data for 6.6 dhx air set ups so how about we list shock settings on one thread?
Try to keep it short and informative and up-date as experience grows.

Frame = med 6.6
Shock= DHX air
Rider Weight= 155lbs (with out riding gear)-(ride with camelback and leg/arm pads,)
Intended Use= All mountain- long climbs and decents, drops to 4 feet.

Set Up=
Main Chamber- 175 lbs ... Boost - 125lbs... Bottom out all the way out (two lines)....
Rebound 8 Clicks from full open/ fast....Propedal off.
Comment=
Feels like it comes close to bottoming out around 3 foot drops but rides great.
During normal riding and rocky sections rubber ring stops about 1cm before end of shaft.
3-4 foot drops ring stops at end of shaft but dosnt fall off.

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
6.6 Satin black

Great Idea Matthew!

Frame= med 6.6
Shock=DHX air
Rider weight=160lbs (with gear)
Intended Use=all Mtn. long climbs and decents, drops to flat 4 feet max.

Set up=
Main-185....Boost-110....Bottom out half way in.
Pro pedel=4 clicks from off (hardly any).
Rebound=Sorry I forget.
Comments=
Pretty much the same as Matthew. Feels super plush but blows thru the travel on little 4 foot drops. Climbs great with hardly any noticeable bob.

·
1,247 Posts
Frame= med 6.6
Shock=DHX air
Rider weight=168lb without helmet/hydration pack
Intended Use=all Mtn. long climbs and decents, urban with drops up to 5 feet.

Set up=
Main-210....Boost-105 ... bottom out : none (all the way "-")
Pro pedel= none
Rebound=5 clicks from slowest (I sped it up.. oh man what a diff in my bunny hops!)
Comments=
Believe it or not, i'm still fiddling a lot with my setup. I upped the Main to get about 28% sag (instead of the 33% i was getting before at about 190lbs main). I haven't take it on the trails or done any significant riding with this new setup, except for some random 18 inch drops to flat at the neighborhood park. I'll probably take it out on an urban session with 4'+ drops this weekend if it stop raining.. so i'll update.. i'll probably have to turn the BO knob a bit.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I needed this a few months ago

Matthew good idea. We probably need this as a sticky??

Frame= med 6.6
Shock=DHX air
Rider weight=175lbs (with no gear) 190lbs when loaded
Intended Use=all Mtn. steep climbs and descents, drops to flat 4 feet max.

Set up=
Main-200....Boost-150....Bottom out half way in.
Pro pedel=2 clicks from off (hardly any).
Rebound= middle (too many clicks to count
Comments= I have a little process I go though to setup rear shocks and thought I would share it Hopefully helps someone.
On my 6.6, I set the main air for a 30% sag,
Then set rebound by riding off curbs until the bike sags and rebounds with no hop.
Boost pressure I started at 100lbs and added pressure 5 psi at a time until I lost the wallow response after hitting small ledges. (seems to me that the DHX air will wallow in it's travel on small to med hits with too little boost pressure)
Set the propedal by pedaling at a moderate rate on the road and tuning to minimal bob. (needs to be reset every time you adjust either the boost pressure or the bottom-out)

HoJo

·
suspension whore
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive added 20 lbs of air pressure to get a smaller amount of sag- still seems super plush

Frame = med 6.6
Shock= DHX air
Rider Weight= 155lbs (with out riding gear)-(ride with camelback and leg/arm pads,)

Set Up=
Main Chamber- 195 lbs ... Boost - 125lbs... Bottom out all the way out (two lines)....
Comment=
With the added pressure I havnt bottomed it on three footers and it feels more balanced with the 36VAN.

·
suspension whore
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had free time today so played around with the numbers a bit.

Frame = med 6.6
Shock= DHX air

Set Up=
Main Chamber- 190 lbs ... Boost - 150lbs... Bottom out all the way out (two lines)....
Comment=
I dropped the main pressure to 190 lbs.
For my weight this is the point where the shock shifts away from having mid range wallow/ easy blow through and at 190 I have a more linear shock and a smoother transition into the boost/bottom out finish.
I set the boost/ chamber at 150 to prevent it from bottoming on 3 footers to flat- I have about 5mm to go before the ring blows off so I figure that should work for most riding and some bad landings.
It was interesting how much differense 5lbs made in the main chamber- at 185 i noticed the wallow and it did seem to push through a little quickly.
hopefully now I can go back to just riding the bike

·
Working on my Drops
632 Posts
Hey guys,

Just wondering if you guys have any new updates on the dhx air set up. I am trying to find my sweet spot on the dhx air and I seem to blow through too much travel from just doing a small bunny hop. Just wondering what you guys have your set up at so that I can tune it myself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
MTBAlex said:
Hey guys,

Just wondering if you guys have any new updates on the dhx air set up. I am trying to find my sweet spot on the dhx air and I seem to blow through too much travel from just doing a small bunny hop. Just wondering what you guys have your set up at so that I can tune it myself.
The wife has had a similar problem with her 6.6. It seems to blow through its travel too easy and it's also unbalanced when cornering at speed. I was considering ditching the DHX for a TF tuned 5th; however, a mate recommended that I read an article about the DHX coil that was in Dirt a few months back.

The article was a review of the DHX coil and detailed the settings and performance of the shock fitted to an M3. It made for interesting reading.

As far as I'm concerned the Boost Valve is the big mystery with this shock and the article had a simple message as far as this was concerned. MOJO (the UK Fox distributor) said from their experience you should set it to 180psi and leave it. They admitted that the value might seem high, but contrary to popular belief, it will not affect the small bump sensitivity of the shock.

Regarding the Bottom Out adjustment, Dirt did a couple of tests. They ran the shock with it wound fully in and then fully out, to assess the difference.

They noticed that with the adjustment fully in the bike handled very well over all types of terrain.

With the adjustment fully out, to their surprise, the bike behaved in a very unpredictable manner, particularly when cornering. Based on the theory of the shock this should not happen and they were not sure why it did; however, they wondered if it was perhaps the result of coupling a DHX shock to a VP bike.

Other settings on the bike were as follows:
Rebound: 1-2 revolutions from full
Pro-Pedal: None

Even though the article was for a coil shock and the bike was a full-on DH M3 I still reckon that it gives some food for thought.

As a result of this article I have set my wife's bike up as follows:

Main Chamber: 150psi
Boost Valve: 170psi
Bottom Out: Fully in
Pro-Pedal: None
Rebound: 7 clicks back from full

Unfortunately, the wife's suffering from the lurgy, so she didn't get a chance to try the new settings at the weekend. If anyone's interested let me know and I'll post back next weekend after she's ridden it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cowboy-jeff said:
How much does your wife weigh? And what is lurgy. :confused:
The wife weighs about 130lb.

I know the psi in the main chamber seems high, but she insisted on upping the pressure as she said it was too soft. Hopefully, I can drop this down to 130psi if the latest adjustments seem ok.

As for what's lurgy?

Well, if you're down with a cold and you're overcome with germs you've got the lurgy.

·
Working on my Drops
632 Posts
Thanks Gravity Kid. That is very good detailed information. I'll go home and try that for everything except the main chamber. I currently have it at 210 and I'm probably 180 with gear.

Does anyone else have updated numbers?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all,

I'm about 170lbs and my current settings are:

Main Chamber : 205 psi
Boost valve : 100 psi
Bottom out: 2/3 in (1line + little bit)
ProPedal: 4 clicks from full off.
Rebound : 7-8 clicks from full off.

I do not have enough time spent on the bike yet (brand new :) but
honestly I'm not fully convinced with these settings, too linear, too
easy to bottom out.
I'll try some advices I read above (especially the 180psi in boost valve to test).
I'll let you know what I feel :confused:

Bye guys !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Guys/Girls

A friend of mine sent me this if its any help....

Tuning Tips from Mark Fitzsimmons, Fox Racing Shox Race Program Director/Product Developer

Recommended Sag: 25-30 percent of shock stroke

ProPedal Tuning: When the bike maintains a decent small-bump ride and pedals with minimal motion, ProPedal is set up correctly. To set up, start 8 clicks out from closed. Turn it in for a firmer ride, out for a softer ride.

Boost Valve Tuning: If you want a more efficient-feeling ride and a more-progressive stroke, increase Boost Valve pressure. If you want a smoother ride and a less-progressive stroke, decrease Boost Valve pressure.

Bottom-Out Tuning: For most trail riders, this works best in the fully open position. For hucking and racing, go off a 3- to 4-foot drop with the knob in the fully open position. Repeat, adjusting the knob a quarter-turn each time until you are still using all the travel but not feeling the shock bottom. Note: This test works only if the sag is set up properly.

Rebound Tuning: Open the rebound to full fast. Pedal and ride off a curb and count the oscillations of the rear suspension. Repeat the test, turning in the adjuster one click at a time to slow the rebound until the rear suspension oscillates once. As the back wheel goes off the curb, the suspension should compress and return to its static ride height. This puts you in the ballpark.

DHX Air Maintenance: FOX recommends the air sleeve be removed and cleaned every 30-40 hours and an oil change once a year to keep the damper working well.

Im still playing with my 6.6 but the settings for the moment are

Rider Weight 180 plus camelbak and gear etc
Main Chamber: 220-230
Boost Valve: 125
Bottom Out: Fully out
Pro-Pedal: 8 clicks clockwise
Rebound: cant remember but 1 oscillation.

:D

·
Registered
242 Posts
OK now what?

Ok i have been playing with this shock seems like for weeks seems like the lighter you are the easier it is to dial in the right sag and settings (Read Fit to be coiled)
Im a big dude and i talked to the people a Fox they said
+25% your body weight example 175 pressure would be 200psi more or less
there is a maxium pressure of 300psi
I weight 265 (Soon to be 245) that would put the main chamber pressure at almost 290 almost at the treshold as you can see im nervous about blowing it up like going off a jump
Ok now what i cranked up the pressure and all the settings to finally get somewhat there as far as sag but there far from the recomended settings. im gonna give it another try and then its bye bye dhx air and hello coilshock
Anybody got an idea on how to set this up for the Non Lance Armstrong line backer kinda guy?? Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi again

I've been thinking about the DHX Air shock for a few days now, trying to understand how it works and come up with the optimum set-up. :confused:

This is what I've decided on and tested…

Wind the bottom out almost fully in.
From reading various comments on this forum it appears that the shock is too linear. Based on the article in Dirt, that I read, it appears that the bottom out adjuster affects the linearity of the shock. The more you turn it in the less linear and the more progressive the shock becomes. Also as the shock behaves progressively you should not sacrifice sensitivity on the smaller bumps, as basically it ramps up through the stroke.

Pump a good amount of air in the boost valve.
I think I understand how the boost valve works, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm thinking something along the lines of the pressure dictating where in the stroke the boost valve (and bottom out setting) starts to take effect. (I think?). It seemed odd to me to put more air in the boost valve than was in the main chamber. However, the comment from Mojo was "180psi is considered optimum - stick it on 150-200psi".

Air in main chamber.
I noticed that when I sat on the bike and measured the sag I got a different result to if I measured the sag after I'd ridden it. So, before setting the sag I rode the bike round the block then did it. I started with my a psi matching my weight (as it says in the intense manual) and I set the sag to 30%, this turned out to be about 5psi more than my weight.

Pro Pedal
VP bikes pedal so well there's no need for this, so I backed it right off.

Rebound
As Mr Flooks tells you to in Fundamentals.

Initial Settings
Although the 6.6 is the wife's bike I wanted to test it myself, so I set the suspension up for me, as follows:

Rider weight: 150lb
Main Chamber: 155lb
Bottom Out: About 90% in, 1mm away from the final line
Rebound: 7 clicks back from fully in

Having set the bike up as stated above I took it down the local trails.

First Track
The first course I took the bike down has fast corners and lots of tight technical terrain, with a good smattering of bumpy roots and a few small jumps.
The bike tackled this course excellently. It soaked up the roots and kept its grip on all the corners, it really instilled a lot of confidence. Whereas previously it would wallow on the corners it now settled in and held its position throughout. Awesome! Easily as good as my Uzzi, with its coil shock.

Second Track
The second course has drops, tabletops, jumps, undulating rooty terrain and bends.
Again the bike performed great. It took the jumps and drops in a controlled manner and again flew round the corners and soaked up the terrain. On one of the large tabletops I misjudged the distance, and landed short and heavy. The bike absorbed the landing really well and didn't blow through all its travel, as I know it would have done previously.

Adjustments
I did several runs on the two tracks and played about with the settings a bit.
First I upped the air in the main chamber to 170psi. The bike did not perform as well the suspension was not as active and the ride felt harsher.
Next I upped the air in the boost valve up to 180psi. The bike just didn't feel as good. It's hard to put my finger on exactly what the problem was, but it just seemed to sit up a bit more round the corners.
I noticed that the rebound felt a little too fast, so I adjusted it one click so that it is now 6 clicks from fully in.

Final Settings
Rider weight: 150lb
Main Chamber: 155lb
Bottom Out: About 90% in, 1mm away from the final line
Rebound: 6 clicks back from fully in

Conclusion
The changes in set-up resulted in a massive improvement.
The bike handled difficult rooty terrain and corners with effortless ease. It utilises a large proportion of its travel, resulting in active suspension and an inspiring ride.
On jumps or drops with unforgiving landings, high-speed compression comes into play. (Lets face it suspension isn't that important if you have a good run-out.) When I jumped the big tabletop and landed heavy the shock certainly did not blow through its travel. (I deliberately repeated this error on a number of occasions, just to assess the response of the shock.) The high-speed compression characteristics of my current set-up absorb the big hits with travel to spare and if anything I'm tempted to back the bottom out off a little.
In summary I would say is don't write this shock off yet. I'm happy with the progress I've made; I'm sure I've got a bit more tweaking to do, but I'm actually starting to believe that I will get this problem sorted. :)

Thanks for reading and I'm sorry I've waffled on a bit.

·
suspension whore
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
updates?

I rode a friends 6.6 with the cane creek last week. It felt slow and heavy at first but not too different to my dhx air, that was untill I got back on my bike.
Then all of a sudden mine felt like sh1t, wallowy and no mid level.
So I'm back to playing around with it for a month B4 I spend more dollars.
Looking for any more tips or follow up comments from previous posters
thx all

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
matthew said:
I rode a friends 6.6 with the cane creek last week. It felt slow and heavy at first but not too different to my dhx air, that was untill I got back on my bike.
Then all of a sudden mine felt like sh1t, wallowy and no mid level.
So I'm back to playing around with it for a month B4 I spend more dollars.
Looking for any more tips or follow up comments from previous posters
thx all
Matthew, try running 30psi. above your weight w/ gear in the main chamber, and about 15-20psi less than your rider weight in the boost valve, turn boost valve in 2 complete turns, run no pro pedal, and set rebound 4 or 5 clicks from fully Slow. I weigh about 160lbs. run 190psi in the main and about 145 in the boost with no propedal, the bike is able to gat full travel off of 4-5 footers (see the new 6.6 action thread) and pedals great, I trail ride every morning about 5 miles and take some mid size drops and jumps and usually the 0 ring is at the bottom of the shock shaft end of ride. Ride On- E2

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.