Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
3,163 Posts
Mikekune594 said:
Does anyone here actually downhill race there Ironhorse Six Point Fours?

If so, whats your setup for racing?
I don't race mine but if I did, I would put a 8.5" x 2.5" shock on it and run a 180mm single crown up front. Stock shock is 8.75" x 2.5".

The shorter i2i will lower the BB and slacken the HA. The 180mm fork will also slacken the HA. With both of these specs the HA will probably be near 66 deg.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But you wouldn't care about losing travel and ground clearance?
also could you make up for your lost travel in stroke?
I'm new to rear suspension and DH...

· Registered
3,163 Posts
Mikekune594 said:
But you wouldn't care about losing travel and ground clearance?
also could you make up for your lost travel in stroke?
I'm new to rear suspension and DH...
With a 180mm fork, You would gain ground clearance. My BB height is 14.25" with this setup. Stock BB height is 13.78". The IH Sunday is 13.9" But should run more sag.

So the stock shock has a length of 8.75" and a stroke of 2.5". Using a 8.5"x 2.5" shock will not reduce travel. It will just lower the BB and slack the geometry.

So 180mm for will raise bike, 8.5" i2i shock will lower bike. So BB height may be around 13.5".
You could also add the Externalizer headset extender cup to raise the front up even more.
Enduro sells it. But I haven't heard anyone running it with a 180mm fork. It might put stresses on the bike it wasn't designed for.

I would say a lighter rider would be fine. The 6point was not made to DH though IMO

· Registered
821 Posts
I'm sure you can DH race it! I haven't heard of anyone doing this but why the heck not?

Only thing I can think of is; if its DH'ed on a consistant basis it might get fatigued from use. A cool trick is to use a 2.75"X 8.75" shock to give the bike 7" of travel. I use an old FOX RC (non pro-predal) coil shock on my 6 point now and it has made a HUGE improvement on the suspension peformance. That extra inch of suspension is there when I drop it hard but it's not noticable when pedalling.

As noted, unless you have the 2008 version of this bike the older versions have steeper head angles and will feel a little less confident during steep ascents. I use the Enduro headset extender which works great and raises the BB just right.

On a seperate note, I'm kinda bummed that IH is not going to be using the DW link. I thought these bikes were a bargain, now I'm going to have to pay a premium in the future when I get my Ibis or Pivot. Lets just hope our 6 Points don't sh&% the bed anytime soon.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually Ironhorse has been making all their 2009 bike frames in 2008 before their liecense runs out trying to get another year out of the Dw-Link. pretty clever.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wormvine said:
With a 180mm fork, You would gain ground clearance. My BB height is 14.25" with this setup. Stock BB height is 13.78". The IH Sunday is 13.9" But should run more sag.

So the stock shock has a length of 8.75" and a stroke of 2.5". Using a 8.5"x 2.5" shock will not reduce travel. It will just lower the BB and slack the geometry.

So 180mm for will raise bike, 8.5" i2i shock will lower bike. So BB height may be around 13.5".
You could also add the Externalizer headset extender cup to raise the front up even more.
Enduro sells it. But I haven't heard anyone running it with a 180mm fork. It might put stresses on the bike it wasn't designed for.

I would say a lighter rider would be fine. The 6point was not made to DH though IMO
I'am a lighter rider. much lighter.
If i was to decrease the size of the i2i could i still increase the stroke to 2.75 or even 3? :confused:

· Registered
28 Posts
Im from Portugal and recently there was a Urban Downhill race in Lisbon, and the top riders were all here. I had the opportunity to speak with some, particularly, with a french IH rider who's using a 6point8 in the Cup. He had it also in Lisbon, and he ensured me that he always ride with it, since it is not heavy and the riding performance is close to the sunday (he said he had a sunday before). I think his name is Thebaut.

I'm a 6point4 owner and I will use it to DH anytime i want to.

Cheers

· Registered
3,163 Posts
Mikekune594 said:
I'am a lighter rider. much lighter.
If i was to decrease the size of the i2i could i still increase the stroke to 2.75 or even 3? :confused:
Unfortunately shorter i2i is limited by stroke somewhat. The smallest i2i with a 2.5" stroke is 8.5". With a 2.75" stroke, the smallest i2i is 8.75".
You can use the 8.75 x 2.75 on the 6point and it will give you 7" travel. With a 180mm fork (565mm A2C), You will get a 67 deg HA. Now you could still add the headset extender but the BB would raise up even more. BB height would be around 14.5". Not as low as some DH bikes but you can run more sag if you like.

· Registered
169 Posts
Can the 6point front triangles take a 180mm fork without risk of frame destruction? It seems like that criteria would be high on the list if someone wanted to DH the 6point, both for the geometry changes and the squish factor.

· Iron Pony
20 Posts
hey,

i race my 6point at the local race events here in southern california. i am also planning on racing in sea otter next year. the bike is beefy for an AM bike and can handle the rock gardens. my setup right now is a 170mm front fork and will be switching to a dhx coil to increase rear travel soon. the only issue i'm facing is the BB height has been raised a little so i'm still up in air whether or not to keep the 6.3" travel and lower the BB height with a 8.5 i2i shock or bump it up to 7.1" with the 8.75x2.75stroke. you can always run more sag in the rear shock to lower BB height when you mount the bike.

honestly here in california i have not run into terrain in an DH race that my 6point couldn't handle. now if you're racing WC level that will be a different story. the only issue i've had was with the Marz AM fork, i blew that out my first race so i had it warrantied then sold it. also the dhx air shock tends to blow through its mid-stroke rapidly on rock gardens and that is the main reason why i am switching to coil whether it would be for increased travel or lowering the BB height. good luck!

· Registered
821 Posts
I agree, a coil shock makes the biggest difference on the 6 Point. I was never totally satisfied with weak mid-stroke of air shocks on the 6 point. My FOX RC has completely transformed the bike, it now has perfect mid-stroke and small bump compliance. I figure a ROCO coil with a Ti spring would be amazing on this bike.

· Registered
3,163 Posts
phugger said:
I just ordered an 6point4 and am considering replacing the dhx air with a Marzocchi Roco Coil TST R. Do I need to order any of the mounting hardware kits? Or can I just use the existing mount?
You can use the existing mounts! I know, I have both. I am back to the dhx-5 air. I performed the volume mod and am happy with it. It's pretty plush.

· Registered
113 Posts
Mattoid said:
Can the 6point front triangles take a 180mm fork without risk of frame destruction? It seems like that criteria would be high on the list if someone wanted to DH the 6point, both for the geometry changes and the squish factor.
Not without risk, mostly because of the 1" 1/8 Zero Stack headset.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.