Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for anyone that's really willing to help me out. I'm a senior in college and I live in one cool place for outdoor events (Bellingham, Washington) and I'm looking to expand my outdoor enjoyment. I have a nine year old son and he's getting into biking with me. I have around $600 to 800 for a good mountain bike. I've been reading the forums and looking at Ebay and there are some ok deals there but I find myself lost in all of the selections and not having much knowledge on what is good (for me) or not.
I don't have the best body in the world either. Obviously I'm overweight but I'm going for 185 by summer. I've already lost 60 lbs. so I am looking for something that has some stout to it.
I have hurt my back in the past and although it's ok, it still cramps up a bit. Would a hard tail work as well as a full suspension bike going up hills and all that? I'll be riding it to school (about 2 miles away - currently I walk) and on trails but I also want to be able to take it on some good local offroad trails and MAYBE do a LITTLE bit of drops or downhill, but the primary focus will be riding with my son on some more simple trails and also on the road for trips that will be about 6 miles or so.
I've looked into Specialized (hardrock, enduro), Trek (they are spendy!!), Rocky Mountain and Cannondale etc., but I'm just not sure what would do me the best value for the buck and size wise as well. Most of these are used on Ebay etc.
One thing I'd prefer is to have disc brakes.

Do I need a special fork if I'm heavier? Full suspension vs. hard tail? What's the differences really in all of the types of Specialized bikes?

Thank you for your time in replying guys.. I really appreciate it.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Sounds like you have some thinking to do. So many choices out there and they get confusing. As a fellow large rider (I go 250 lbs) I'll give you what advice I can.

First off, your $600-$800 is going to be best spent on a hardtail. I also have some back issues and prefer full suspension (for this and other reasons) but at our weight, you're not going to get a full suspension bike to handle your weight and riding off road for less than a grand, IMO.

You're looking at some good manufacturers based on the list you posted, and there will be pluses and minuses to all of them and the various models they offer. To try to list the different models and their pros and cons is just not feasible.

What I would recommend is that you look at hardtails with a good, sturdy wheelset, a reliable fork with 32mm stanchions (stanchions are the "tubes on the fork, and for us larger riders, you want 32mm as opposed to 30mm or less) and a decent drivetrain spec. There are several out there to choose from.

Given that you're looking at bikes on ebay, it sounds like you're Ok with buying a bike sight unseen. If this is the case, look at vendors like Ibex, Randall Scott and Bikes Direct. Ibex sells their own bike line. Randall Scott sells Iron Horse, and Bikes Direct sells Motobecane. All three should have bikes in your price range.

I happen to own an Ibex and am getting ready to buy my second bike from them. I think they have the best $700 deal on a hardtail right now in this bike:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-X7-Details.html

It has all the attributes I described above and also has the best mechanical disc brakes on the market. If you have any more questions, give them a call and talk to them about sizing issues, etc. Chances are, the owner, jack, is the guy that you'll get on the phone.

Like I said, there are a number of bikes for you to consider, and the bike I recommended is one I personally feel is the best deal at the moment. Only you can decide if it's the right bike for you though.

Bob

·
Registered
233 Posts
Im 6'2" and pretty close to your weight. Things to look for IMO

1. Air shock...only way to get that front stiff enough at your weight.
2. Disc breaks....gotta stop and v-brakes prob. not gonna cut it.
3. As strong a drive train as you can get.
I agree with Clyde that in your price range a FS bike is pretty much out of the question.

The Ibex bike looks good, only thing I don't like is only 80mm travel in the front. I would check out http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_comp05.htm

Find out if it is the Tora shock is air. If so that would be my choice, if not then the Ibex would be the way to go. Not going to find an air shock on an LBS bike at that price point I am afraid.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are tons of bikes on Ebay. Literally hundreds. I've seen Specialized Rock Hoppers with disc breaks and and all that for pretty cheap. There are also many bikes on there for under 800$ but I'm just not sure what to do.
How do you know what's a strong drive train? Aren't most front suspension parts air shocks?

What's tougher, a stump jumper, rock hopper, etc.?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, for a 6' person, what exactly should the size of the frame be I'm looking for? I'll measure my inseam and all that tonight, but I'm just curous for a rough estimate..

·
Banned
462 Posts
check out:

Craigslist.org
ebay.com
performancebike.com
rscycle.com
bikesdirect.com
ibexbikes.com

also check out:
specialized.com
trekbikes.com
fisherbikes.com
giant-bicycles.com

Hard tail or Softtail?

I recommend looking for a deal on a used Specialized FSR XC you can find them from anywhere from $400-$900 used and a great bike.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bhaltair said:
There are tons of bikes on Ebay. Literally hundreds. I've seen Specialized Rock Hoppers with disc breaks and and all that for pretty cheap. There are also many bikes on there for under 800$ but I'm just not sure what to do.
How do you know what's a strong drive train? Aren't most front suspension parts air shocks?

What's tougher, a stump jumper, rock hopper, etc.?
Thanks again.
If you buy on E-bay you will not recieve a warranty on the frame. At your size a frame warranty is a good thing. Basically in drive train you want something above entry level if possible...check out he product reviews for what people have said on strength, also check out the clydesdale forum. Higher end shocks are usually air, lower end are coil. May have both air and coil in the same product line...IE Tora.

They are all "tough". Most bikes can handle your weight...unless they specify otherwise.

·
Banned
462 Posts
corleone said:
Higher end shocks are usually air, lower end are coil.
not sure that's necessarily true. Coil is more reliable than air. If you're doing 5 ft drops and somehow the air goes out imagine what would happen. Air is designed to be lighter thus used more for XC riding where are Coil is more reliable, can handle big drops better and some people like the feel of coil better.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Becane73 said:
not sure that's necessarily true. Coil is more reliable than air. If you're doing 5 ft drops and somehow the air goes out imagine what would happen. Air is designed to be lighter thus used more for XC riding where are Coil is more reliable, can handle big drops better and some people like the feel of coil better.
Alright it is time for you to learn how to form an arguement, so let us look at your above post. In response to "Higher end shocks are usually air, lower end are coil."

You said:
1. Coil is more reliable than air.
Intersting point maybe we can argue it some time...course that has nothing to do with my statement.
2. If you're doing 5 ft drops and somehow the air goes out imagine what would happen.
Wow, imagine what would happen. Someone quick call up RS and tell them their Totem is a PoS. Even if we assume you have a point, it still has nothing to do with my statement.
3. Air is designed to be lighter thus used more for XC riding where are Coil is more reliable, can handle big drops better and some people like the feel of coil better.
Intersting...add up all the shock lines by RS, Manitou, and Fox that are either all air or have air as their top of the line, then add up all the ones that are all coil, or have coil at the top of the line. Amazingly most are air.

Keep working on your arguements, one day you may get one right. :skep:

·
Banned
462 Posts
corleone said:
add up all the shock lines by RS, Manitou, and Fox that are either all air or have air as their top of the line, then add up all the ones that are all coil, or have coil at the top of the line. Amazingly most are air.
let's see... all of Rock Shox DH and FR forks are Spring or partial Spring... so are some of the AM forks...

Fox Forx Vanilla series (FR, AM, XC), 36 Van Series (DH and FR), Fox 40 (DH, FR) are all coil

·
Registered
233 Posts
Becane73 said:
check out forks with more than 140mm of travel.
LOL, thats funny. Good job trying to shrink the discussion down to long travel forks to try and prove your point. Just to be nice I counted all shocks with 140+mm travel...with coil as the only or top option you get 6, however with air as the only or top option you have 10. Nice try. Keep trying though, you will get it right eventually.:skep:

·
Banned
462 Posts
corleone said:
LOL, thats funny. Good job trying to shrink the discussion down to long travel forks to try and prove your point. Just to be nice I counted all shocks with 140+mm travel...with coil as the only or top option you get 6, however with air as the only or top option you have 10. Nice try. Keep trying though, you will get it right eventually.:skep:
OK troll,

let's see... all of Rock Shox DH and FR forks are Spring or partial Spring... so are some of the AM forks...

Fox Forx Vanilla series (FR, AM, XC), 36 Van Series (DH and FR), Fox 40 (DH, FR) are all coil

Manitou Travis and Stance series, Gold Label are coil and and others are coil or spring depending on what kind of riding it will be used for.

You've been proven wrong so please STFU.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Becane73 said:
OK troll,

Manitou Travis and Stance series, Gold Label are coil and and others are coil or spring depending on what kind of riding it will be used for.
Hmm..lets see 140mm or greater air/coil sprung shocks...

fox air...32 float, 32 talas, 36 float, 36 talas
coil 32 van, 36 van, 40mm
RS air...totem, pike,Lyrik, boxxer
coil... domain,
Manitou air...Minute, Nixon
coil... stance, travis

Do the math...that is 10 shocks with air as the only or top option..and 6 with coil as the only or top option.

Funny how you said only look at 140mm+ shocks then add in the gold label to try to make your point.

So far you have:
a. Tried to make an arguement where none existed. Most high end shocks are air sprung. You may or may not like it, but it is the way it is.
b. Insulted me and had it removed by a moderator.
c. Tried to change the frame of the arguement to only 140mm shocks in a an attempt to prove yourself right.
d. Called me a troll and cursed at me...which will probably be removed since I'm sure cursing even in an Acronym is not allowed.

Keep working at it.:skep:

·
Banned
462 Posts
corleone said:
Hmm..lets see 140mm or greater air/coil sprung shocks...

fox air...32 float, 32 talas, 36 float, 36 talas
coil 32 van, 36 van, 40mm
RS air...totem, pike,Lyrik, boxxer
coil... domain,
Manitou air...Minute, Nixon
coil... stance, travis

Do the math...that is 10 shocks with air as the only or top option..and 6 with coil as the only or top option.

Funny how you said only look at 140mm+ shocks then add in the gold label to try to make your point.

So far you have:
a. Tried to make an arguement where none existed. Most high end shocks are air sprung. You may or may not like it, but it is the way it is.
b. Insulted me and had it removed by a moderator.
c. Tried to change the frame of the arguement to only 140mm shocks in a an attempt to prove yourself right.
d. Called me a troll and cursed at me...which will probably be removed since I'm sure cursing even in an Acronym is not allowed.

Keep working at it.:skep:
Your profile says you've been riding since 2006.

Which tells me you probably have as much credibility as as Bush on the Iraq War when it comes to bikes. But let's not get into politics. If you're happy with your opinions so be it. I never intended my initial post to be a flame on you or your opinion. If you took it that way then you should take a break off your computer and do something else.

I'm sure other people can read what you wrote and come to their own conclusion. I think I made some valid points and don't feel the need to continue this discussion any further, however if you wish to continue with your childish behavior you are welcome to PM me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Becane73 said:
Your profile says you've been riding since 2006 and you ride an Iron Horse Azure.

Which tells me you have as much credibility as as Bush on the Iraq War when it comes to bikes. But let's not get into politics. If you're happy with your opinions so be it. I never intended my initial post to be a flame on you or your opinion. If you took it that way then you should take a break off your computer and do something else.

I'm sure other people can read what you wrote and come to their own conclusion. I think I made some valid points and don't feel the need to continue this discussion any further, however if you wish to continue with your childish behavior you are welcome to PM me.
Sorry, they won't let you leave those things blank so I just filled em in. After your foray into the Ibex boards I would have thought you would have learned not to randomly insult bikes and the people that ride them. Guess I was wrong. But please don't stop posting, I love seeing the new depths of your imaturity.:rockon:

Oh and no your post was not a flame you simply challanged my statement, to which I offered up reasons why I said such things. But, the only person that flamed was you too bad it was stricken so quickly by the Mods.

·
Banned
462 Posts
corleone said:
Sorry, they won't let you leave those things blank so I just filled em in. After your foray into the Ibex boards I would have thought you would have learned not to randomly insult bikes and the people that ride them. Guess I was wrong. But please don't stop posting, I love seeing the new depths of your imaturity.:rockon:

Oh and no your post was not a flame you simply challanged my statement, to which I offered up reasons why I said such things. But, the only person that flamed was you too bad it was stricken so quickly by the Mods.
Check your PM's

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys... I didn't intend this to become a flaming session, although I know it's hard when this is what we do for fun (posting on forums I mean).
I just don't have enough money for a new specialized bike and I know there's great risk when it comes to used bikes on ebay.
Thank you again for your input everyone.

Are the frames on the Specialized bikes pretty much the same with the rock/stump/whatever jumpers with just the added features being different?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bhaltair said:
Thanks guys... I didn't intend this to become a flaming session, although I know it's hard when this is what we do for fun (posting on forums I mean).
I just don't have enough money for a new specialized bike and I know there's great risk when it comes to used bikes on ebay.
Thank you again for your input everyone.
Aww this wasnt flaming. The only flame post by Becane got deleted by the mod.:eekster:

Anyway I would still suggest the Ibex or the Motobecane..good components and you still get a warranty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.