Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to freshen up my F36 Fit damped fork with a new Grip2. I have the requisite 5w PTFE for its 40cc lower bath. Two weeks ago I did a lower service and have new foam rings and Push seals. Push recommends 10w in the lowers as many of us know, and that’s what’s in the damper side now (before the Grip2 install).

Replacing the damper is stupid easy, but I’m wondering if leaving the 10w residue in the lower (after draining) should be a concern(?). There shouldn’t be an issue of a slight mix of maybe 1 - 2 cc of 10w with 40cc of the 5w PTFE infused oil right? Fox 36 foam rings I can’t find separately from a seal kit, and I hate to buy a $30 kit for one foam ring.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Yeah. The reason that Fox specifies 5W (same as in the damper itself) bath oil in the right leg is that they reduced the sealing on the damper shaft to reduce friction in the self-purging Grip dampers and this means the damper can ingest oil more quickly than the previous Fit4 dampers. So, the bath oil will slowly mix with damper oil, but most agree this happens slowly and at too little an extent to be an issue. For that reason, some will use 20W Gold in both legs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.