Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I emailed Progressive for their recommendation on spring weight as well as any recommended settings for my size and bike, and no answer yet after 5 days. I told them I'd even buy a new spring if I needed it. I thought they were responsive? Oh well.

Anyway, I have a 500# spring right now. I'm only 120lbs and like to freeride and DH. It's on a Banshee Scream. Should I go down to a 350# or something? I can't ride the bike yet, so don't know how the 500# feels.

·
Stabbitha
140 Posts
dirtmerchant said:
Well, I emailed Progressive for their recommendation on spring weight as well as any recommended settings for my size and bike, and no answer yet after 5 days. I told them I'd even buy a new spring if I needed it. I thought they were responsive? Oh well.

Anyway, I have a 500# spring right now. I'm only 120lbs and like to freeride and DH. It's on a Banshee Scream. Should I go down to a 350# or something? I can't ride the bike yet, so don't know how the 500# feels.
For standard coils, you can use the leverage ratio of your frame to figure out spring weight to some extent. For Progressive stuff, though its way different. That shock has an insane amount of compression damping and it runs loads of sag. I'd say call banshee and progressive and see what they say (emails are easy to blowoff). Then use your best judgement from there. I'd say wait till you ride it, too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
spring rates?

[Sorry no one got back to you, not supposed to happen. You can call customer service direct at 760 948-4012 and we'll be happy to give you recommendations. We ask weight, rider skill level, type of riding, etc to try to figure out what will work best for you.

Larry/Media Relations/Progressive

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
suspensionguy said:
[Sorry no one got back to you, not supposed to happen. You can call customer service direct at 760 948-4012 and we'll be happy to give you recommendations. We ask weight, rider skill level, type of riding, etc to try to figure out what will work best for you.

Larry/Media Relations/Progressive
Hey thanks! I actually did resend my email to follow up...but still no answer. I'd rather get an answer via email so I have something in writing that I can keep stored on my PC. I'm not good at remembering things or keeping little notes around. Anyway, I'll resend the email again. BTW, I've been sending it to [email protected]. Maybe I've been sending to the wrong place :-(

And if it helps, below is a copy of the email:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have the 5th Element (coil) quick start settings for the 2003 Banshee Scream bike? I've searched and searched but haven't found anything other than the Intense and SC guides.

If none exists, would you be able to send me the appropriate settings for me in particular? (i.e., spring weight, pre-load, sag, volume, air pressure, begin/end stroke, rebound).

- small 03 Banshee Scream frame
- 8" rear wheel travel
- 120lb rider
- downhill/freeriding

If I need a new spring weight, can I buy them from you? How much are they? Appreciate any help you can give.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flow 559 said:
For standard coils, you can use the leverage ratio of your frame to figure out spring weight to some extent. For Progressive stuff, though its way different. That shock has an insane amount of compression damping and it runs loads of sag. I'd say call banshee and progressive and see what they say (emails are easy to blowoff). Then use your best judgement from there. I'd say wait till you ride it, too.
Hey, thanks for the suggestions! I'd like to make a suggestion to all the companies though. And I may post a new thread later. If a company is going to list their email address as a way to be contacted, then they (the company) should make more of a commitment in following up on emails. Email is an integral part of people's lives today. Like the telephone and mail is. So why shouldn't the companies make some level of priority in taking care of emails. And if the company doesn't, they should as least put a disclaimer on the Web site that emails may not be answered right away and you may have to wait a month or something for a response ;-) And yes, it's understandable that technical glitches do happen...if that's the case. Thank you for letting me rant a little :) BTW, I've even had one bike shop email me back after a long time passed and said, "oh, we don't check emails that often."

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Progressive

I'm guessing the 350 is what you'll want but the leverage ratios play a huge role in choosing the spring. You need to call Banshee NOT Progressive. Not that the Progressive people don't know their shocks, they just can't dial them for every rider on every single bike on the planet! For mine I asked both Progressive and Intense and the bike maker was WAY more on than the shock maker. You have to expect that. And as for the flames Progressive gets for not responding to e-mails, well I'd like to see you respond to 500 e-mails all wanting answers every day! GET FREAKIN REAL! There are NO manufacturers out there that do that (of the size of Progressive). Progressive isn't just a mountain bike company people!!! Their market is cycles. Just like Fox who I'm VERY surprised at when they got into the mountain bike market a few years ago - waste of their time IMHO but good for MTB'rs.

Rock and ROLL!

G MAN

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gman086 said:
I'm guessing the 350 is what you'll want but the leverage ratios play a huge role in choosing the spring. You need to call Banshee NOT Progressive. Not that the Progressive people don't know their shocks, they just can't dial them for every rider on every single bike on the planet! For mine I asked both Progressive and Intense and the bike maker was WAY more on than the shock maker. You have to expect that. And as for the flames Progressive gets for not responding to e-mails, well I'd like to see you respond to 500 e-mails all wanting answers every day! GET FREAKIN REAL! There are NO manufacturers out there that do that (of the size of Progressive). Progressive isn't just a mountain bike company people!!! Their market is cycles. Just like Fox who I'm VERY surprised at when they got into the mountain bike market a few years ago - waste of their time IMHO but good for MTB'rs.

Rock and ROLL!

G MAN
Thanks for your $0.02. Yes, as one person, of course I'd have trouble answering 500 emails a day. But you realize this is a "company" right? A company that "sells" products. A company that makes a "profit" selling their products. A company that should "support" the products they sell, regardless if it's one of their "smaller" products. Do I care that they deal in other things? Not really. So would you consider Fox a fairly big company? I've emailed them also. Took them about 3 days, but they did respond back to me.

Would you be happy if you left a voicemail and they never called you back? Would you be happy if you sent a letter and they never responded back? Would you be happy if you visited them in person and they made you sit in the waiting room for an eternity? Maybe you would. Regardless of the form of communication a customer uses, a company should always respond. My rant is not only for Progressive. It's for all companies that don't make customer service a priority. Even if a company gave me the best "watchamacallit" for free but won't tell me how to use it, what's the sense. For free I can figure it out myself, sure - but that's not the point. Now make me PAY for that "watchamacallit" and still don't tell me how to use it, I say screw you.

With all that said, my point is not that a company has to give me the holy grail, it's that they should at least acknowledge my query or concern. I'm really not an unreasonable person. Even suspensionguy said that they should have answered my email. He says to call, but I already gave my reasons. And what's to say they won't put me on hold for who knows how long while I'm paying for the long-distance call. And BTW, I did re-forward my email to them. Again, it's been five days.

If they even responded with a "we recommend you ask the bike mfg," I would've been ok with that. Companies can make excuses. And many of them may even be legitimate. But customers really don't care. You sell a product or service, you better be able to support it. I'm not a business major, but is this way off? Maybe my standards for customer service are too high?

Oh, and thanks for the advice. And sorry if I seem a bit perturbed, I just think customer service is important. And yes, I will shoot Banshee an email. They're awesome guys there. And yes, they do respond to emails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.