Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I just bought me a Santa Cruz Nomad and unfortunately it came with a 5th Element Gravity rear shock. It's working for now but I ride moderate Shore stuff and am worried that it'll explode. Thinking of upgrading to a DHX Air. Anyone got any experience with the 5th Element? Tell me your stories.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Get the DHX Air. At least Fox will do real support of thier shocks. The best you will get out of progressive is bandaid fixes for any future service.

My story is a long one, that starts a few years back when I started working for Progressive. There's a portion of it in this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2657361#poststop

BM

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Hey BC...if you order a new shock from someone, check the length on yours. Most of the reports up to now show that Gravity to be an 8.75 X 2.75. Normally if you just order a new shock, it's going to be an 8.5 X 2.5. You many want one or the other. I toyed with the idea of putting an 8.75 X 2.75 shock on my year old Nomad to get a higher BB...Nomad's is relatively low. Just something to be aware of.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I've had 2 5th element shocks on 2 enduro frames, the first one is still working fine after almost 2 years, the second one was doa I called progressive and had it repaired and back on the bike in 3 days with no further troubles. I also have a dhx 5.0 air that I havent used yet. like you , I got nervous about the 5th and found a good deal on ebay. If you get one you will need different washers as the eye thickness is different

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
i've got a 5th Air...the thing is worth it's weight in gold for the abuse it has seen after 2 years and 3000 miles...i still use it everyday on my commuter rig...

you want to talk about bad air shocks...if your looking at Fox anything, your in for several servicings and lots of downtime, typically on the weekend you want to ride

get coil, i do, since Progressive doesn't make bike stuff for now

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.