Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5th Element coil shock that I can pull apart beyond its resting length, for instance if I tighten up the coil spring while it's off the bike it doesn't compress the coil, it lengthens the shock beyond its stated "eye to eye" length. I cant imagine this is normal, shouldn't it stay the stated length when the coil is adjusted? If I pick up the bike, the swing arm pulls the shock apart enough that the coil spring is loose.
Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Eye to eye shouldn't change like that with preload or not on the coil, let alone picking up the bike, something's broken...
I figured there was something wrong. I cant find my pump so I havent put any air in it yet, it has no air pressure right now, I am wondering if it is going to push it apart when I give it some air? Not having pressure wouldnt cause this. It seems fine other than it pulling apart.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I feel more dumb than usual after realizing my error. I saved a bunch of shocks to my Ebay and when I finally bought the one I wanted and it was delivered I assumed it was the 8" shock I had chosen, I mounted it on my frame and that is when I thought I had a problem. It turns out I clicked on the wrong shock and ordered a 8.75" shock instead of the 8" shock I wanted. The entire time I was messing around with it I assumed it was the correct shock.
I will not make that mistake again! What an idiot! Once I adjusted everything it works fine, although my bike is now 1/2" taller than it used to be. It rides like a Cadillac but I think this shock is going on another frame. I only paid $35 new so I will keep it and order another one the correct length and use this one on a new bike I am collecting parts for.

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
aaron04 said:
I figured there was something wrong. I cant find my pump so I havent put any air in it yet, it has no air pressure right now, I am wondering if it is going to push it apart when I give it some air? Not having pressure wouldnt cause this. It seems fine other than it pulling apart.
You didn't mention that...I assumed it was pressurized, that would explain things. That's a big difference between an 8" and 8.75" though, be sure you don't have frame contact issues if you ride that...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.