Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Progressive stop making the 5th element and stopped servicing them.

It is a crappy shock, and I would recommend sending it to Avalanche to be turned into a speed sensitive damper if you choose to buy the Kumicho. Else get a new shock.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
tacubaya said:
Progressive stop making the 5th element and stopped servicing them.

It is a crappy shock, and I would recommend sending it to Avalanche to be turned into a speed sensitive damper if you choose to buy the Kumicho. Else get a new shock.
x2! In stock form they suffer badly from heat fade issues if ridden hard. Had mine converted by Craig at Avy and couldn't be happier with it now!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Josh had his done by Avalanche and a really really good shock now... Performance and custom tuned worth it... Avalanche!!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so 3 mentioned of having it tuned by Avalanche - I assume you mean this place:
http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/5th%20element%20speed%20sensitive%20conversion.htm

Mine doesn't have 2 little screws a the top of the reservoir, so am correct in assuming it is 3 way and not 5/6 way shock ?

might be worth to just replace the shock if I find say a new Vivid 5.1 for cheap (I need 9" with 2.75" stroke I beleive... might not be able to find the spec, so redoing this one might be only option). Guess I should ride it first to see...

Are there good/inexpensive air shock for DH now ? (8" travel bike). I like air tuning a lot of my Mojo as I can cna change it for th terrain and attain maximum range easily. Coil, not so much :)

thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
The Vivid is really linear, quite different than say the DHX5, but not in a bad way. If you can get the 5th converted, do it. If not, get something else. For DH, I would definitely avoid air. Unless you are spending big $, it simply can't perform like a coil. Just make sure you get the correct spring and the other adjustments will allow you to dial it in to any course you happen to ride.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
adumesny said:
ok, so 3 mentioned of having it tuned by Avalanche - I assume you mean this place:
http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/5th%20element%20speed%20sensitive%20conversion.htm

Mine doesn't have 2 little screws a the top of the reservoir, so am correct in assuming it is 3 way and not 5/6 way shock ?

might be worth to just replace the shock if I find say a new Vivid 5.1 for cheap (I need 9" with 2.75" stroke I beleive... might not be able to find the spec, so redoing this one might be only option). Guess I should ride it first to see...

Are there good/inexpensive air shock for DH now ? (8" travel bike). I like air tuning a lot of my Mojo as I can cna change it for th terrain and attain maximum range easily. Coil, not so much :)

thanks!
Yes, you have the 3 way. Get the Avy mod anyway - it is speed sensitive so it offers more rebound and compression damping the deeper you go into the stroke. It'll be the best $159 you spend on your bike, trust me!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Rider
220 Posts
I think you will need the 8.75 shock if you replace it, I have a yakuza kumicho also. I am thinking about replaceing the 4-way with a new fox van rc.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
robin_hood said:
I think you will need the 8.75 shock if you replace it, I have a yakuza kumicho also. I am thinking about replaceing the 3-way with a new fox van rc.
I took the 5th element out (which I assumed came with bike - it was used so maybe not) and it was 9" eye-eye x 2.75" (reading from coil, I need to measure actual shaft).

Are you sure yours is 8.75" ?
that size would be a lot easier to replace... RS Vivid '11 comes in 9x2.75, otherwise older ones are 8.75x2.75 it seems... still looking around.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
robin_hood said:
Mine is 8.75 eye-eye on my 2006 yakuza kumicho, I will have to re-measue to be sure.

8.75x2.75 here
http://content.mtbr.com/TRP_13_281_4crx.aspx
says 9x2.75 here?
http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product/563

maybe you can use either size?
that would lower the rear a bit, but I'm guessing they may have changed to frame dimension... so you should stick to what you have IMO.

my frame must be '05 because I do have the bolt for the floating brakes (which owner removed) - do you ? and the rear hub is 135mm I'm guessign (I have a cone spacer on the disk side to fit inside the 150mm+ rear end (which gets clamped down somewhat - doesn't seem good) and I don't have "ISCG05 CHAIN GUIDE MOUNT".

I would have to guess different year have different shock then... sight.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
robin_hood said:
I just measured my shock, looks to be 9x2.75
We're in the same (sinking) boat :madman: - though I might be able to return the bike.

Neither Fox nor Marzocchi make 9"x2.75". Only one I found so far is RS 2011 Vivid R2 (not Vivid 5.1) and I didn't even know about different tune - great, another thing to worry about!

Let me know if you find any. At this point Avalanche might be the only option....

Using 8.75x2.75 would lower the rear by 3/4" (.25 x 2.75 stroke / 8" range) and BB about the same. While the newer version do use that shock, they may also have changed the mounting points to offset that... neither airborne nor giantNerd/RS show BB height in the new bikes, so I can't tell !

Q: does your frame (you say 06) come with ISC05 (or whatever it's called) mount for chain guide ? the Airborn rear hubs are 150mm (mine is 135 + cone spacer) and would be curious if they fixed the non symetrical back end (requiking the tire to be offseted in the spokes) if you use 150mm.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
adumesny said:
At this point Avy might be the only option
Well its a pretty good option. LOL a lot better than a lot of shocks out there.... atleast its a damn good option :D

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bullcrew said:
Well its a pretty good option. LOL a lot better than a lot of shocks out there.... atleast its a damn good option :D
is that your unbiased opinion, or does your signatue give you away ? :)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
adumesny said:
is that your unbiased opinion, or does your signatue give you away ? :)
Brother taking a paper weight like the 5th and opening it up and tuning it for you when no one else will and with Craigs background Id say I share it with ALOT of other people including others in the tuning and suspension community even the competitors have gone to him...
So possibly a bit biased but for good reason! :thumbsup:

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
I had a Kumicho with a 5th: do the Avy conversion on it or replace it, as stocked it's a POS. Otherwise, the Kumicho is a pretty OK beginning DH bike.

·
Registered
994 Posts
kumicho was my first downhill bike, great beginner 8 inch travel bike. only gripe i have is the derailleur hanger is very weak and exposed, leaving it prone to replacement, which in my experience the spares were difficult to find. just dont crash! ;) mine came with a manitou swinger 4 way, which to me wasnt a terrible shock.but i found a good deal on a vivid 5.1 and put that on there. the vivid was and still is the best shock i have ever ridden. also, the shock size on that bike is 8.75 eye to eye and 2.75 stroke. best of luck

·
Rider
220 Posts
adumesny said:
We're in the same (sinking) boat :madman: - though I might be able to return the bike.

Neither Fox nor Marzocchi make 9"x2.75". Only one I found so far is RS 2011 Vivid R2 (not Vivid 5.1) and I didn't even know about different tune - great, another thing to worry about!

Let me know if you find any. At this point Avalanche might be the only option....

Using 8.75x2.75 would lower the rear by 3/4" (.25 x 2.75 stroke / 8" range) and BB about the same. While the newer version do use that shock, they may also have changed the mounting points to offset that... neither airborne nor giantNerd/RS show BB height in the new bikes, so I can't tell !

Q: does your frame (you say 06) come with ISC05 (or whatever it's called) mount for chain guide ? the Airborn rear hubs are 150mm (mine is 135 + cone spacer) and would be curious if they fixed the non symetrical back end (requiking the tire to be offseted in the spokes) if you use 150mm.
I have the ISC mount and the 150 rear spaceing on the 06. If I replace the 4way I am going for a VanRC 8.75x2.75, didn't know the 9x2.75 was so hard to find.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
csermonet said:
kumicho was my first downhill bike, great beginner 8 inch travel bike. only gripe i have is the derailleur hanger is very weak and exposed, leaving it prone to replacement, which in my experience the spares were difficult to find. just dont crash! ;)
Doing a search returns a bunch of them... hopefully it is the same part (need to take mine out to see).

csermonet said:
mine came with a manitou swinger 4 way, which to me wasnt a terrible shock.but i found a good deal on a vivid 5.1 and put that on there. the vivid was and still is the best shock i have ever ridden. also, the shock size on that bike is 8.75 eye to eye and 2.75 stroke. best of luck
What year was you Yakusa, and wasn't your shock 9" length to start with and if so how was using a 8.75" shock feel ? thanks !

1 - 20 of 42 Posts