Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While adjusting the red rebound adjustment knob on 5th element air on Sc Blur, it just popped out. Didnt feel a tight point or anything...now I cant get it back in. Help!!

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
That's the first I've ever heard of that hapening on a 5th air. I didn't even think it was possible. I wonder if you have an incorrect rebound adjuster rod in there that's too short, or maybe a part is out of spec. I'm baffled. Anyway, it doesn't sound like you've lost any oil, and that good. To fix it, let all the air out of the ifp, get a tiny screwdriver or a straight dentists pick, and try to push that rod back down all the way. Then reinstall the rebound adjuster.

I'm wondering, though.. When you run the adjuster all the way in, does it stop before the knob hits the cap of the shock? Do you have a good adjustment range? Theoretically, even with the adjuster rod stuck all the way down, the knob should not be able to come out. Material would have to be displaced, which would result in parts breakage. Sending it in for warranty would be the best way to fix this, because all of those issues would be checked, and then we could see what caused the failure and fix it if needs be, or we could see if your shock was assembled incorrectly or if parts were out of spec. Doing the fix I described should get you back on the road though, and a lot faster than waiting for a warranty turn around.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
I have to ask (you can see my post in general), what you think about the high speed performance of the 5th element?, since I've never gotten it to "suspend" at an acceptable level, I often wonder if the thing is not broken, but I have called the tech line quite a few times and they just tell me that it's working like it should when I give them the the information.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Hmm... It's hard to say w/o seeing it first hand. I personally don't downhill or free ride, or at least, haven't yet. As it goes with my blur though, at higher speeds, 20+ mph (probably around 25mph avg, as recorded by my cycle computer) when I hit some rocks or some ruts, the way I can describe it is that I feel the impact but the back end doesn't bounce around. At almost every norba or WC event about 1/2 of the top 10 finisher are riding on one of our shocks or a manitou's SPV shocks which are the same thing. If there were a high speed problem, I'm sure we'd have heard about it by now. We also test with OE customers regularly, and they don't have any quams about letting us know what they think of our shocks or our company. On the dyno, our shocks have lower high speed damping numbers than most of the competition, at least in the first half of the travel anyway.. If you press the issue, and the shock is under warranty, they should accept it as a warranty return. But, that's customer service, and I don't have any authority on what goes on it that department. In theory someting could have been assembled incorrectly, in a way that's not causing a failure, but could very well be affecting your performance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.