Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, now I am having some issues dialing in when I make an adjustment on the 5th element. I thought is was me. But I double checked everything. Am I doing something wrong other than reading how to make the adjustment? I read the reviews on this shock. Seems pretty weak on the reviews: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Rear_Shock/product_122592.shtml Similar issues with other riders. On top of that the company seems to have a few disatisfied customers in regards to customer service responses and turn around time for the repair to be done. The thing that bugs me is it seems to be the first step of every issue some others are experiencing. Will that next step be the rebounding issue then total lock out w/ oil leak etc....

The bike I got it with was $420 a Weyless XP, I love it feels solid. I only got it for the 4.5 reviews I see on mtbr.com, price and it convinced me a bit more to know that once I saw that the 5th Element was even included with most of the Santa Cruz bikes that are out there, that really got me a bit pumped up about it.

Now I am concerned on the option of keeping the shock, and if not what would be better to replace the 5th with? Should I keep it, or sell it since it's still new? What will I loose (dollar wise) and what am I looking to spend? Will I add more weight replacing the air shock I already have?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Progressive is a top-notch company. I had one of their coil shocks on a heckler, and loved it. One 5 minute call to them helped me tremendously with the setup. Recently switched my El Chamuco to the 5th coil because I loved it so much. They were extremely helpful with the technical stuff I needed to make the switch, and hit the spring rate spot-on the first try. Perfect.

Never had any problems with either shock. You will have to check your air pressure every 2 weeks.

My suggestion if you paid $450 for the frame and shock: Call progressive, get some help in tuning it, and take their advice. You'll see the light.

If that fails, I suggest selling the frame and putting the shock on a new one.. :)

-T

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
ThomasFrkovich said:
OK, now I am having some issues dialing in when I make an adjustment on the 5th element. I thought is was me. But I double checked everything. Am I doing something wrong other than reading how to make the adjustment? I read the reviews on this shock. Seems pretty weak on the reviews: http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Rear_Shock/product_122592.shtml Similar issues with other riders. On top of that the company seems to have a few disatisfied customers in regards to customer service responses and turn around time for the repair to be done. The thing that bugs me is it seems to be the first step of every issue some others are experiencing. Will that next step be the rebounding issue then total lock out w/ oil leak etc....

The bike I got it with was $420 a Weyless XP, I love it feels solid. I only got it for the 4.5 reviews I see on mtbr.com, price and it convinced me a bit more to know that once I saw that the 5th Element was even included with most of the Santa Cruz bikes that are out there, that really got me a bit pumped up about it.

Now I am concerned on the option of keeping the shock, and if not what would be better to replace the 5th with? Should I keep it, or sell it since it's still new? What will I loose (dollar wise) and what am I looking to spend? Will I add more weight replacing the air shock I already have?
Whats your exact problem? I never really liked the way 5th Airs or 5th coils ride, but it's all about personal preference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rebound (BTW: It's an Air Shock not Coil)

I'm trying to adjust the rebound on it. I turn it clockwise to slow the rebound as the manufacture manuals etc. states, little by little, it takes time. When I get it the way I want it, a few minutes later after riding, it's too fast. I notch it back just a little bit counter clockwise, it's back to the way it was/how I wanted it, I ride it, another 5 minutes BAM, tooooooooo slow. It's so noticable, it's like something that would distract your riding and mostly your confidence with the bike.

It's like a repeat process, and I can't complete a non stop ride without making those adjusment. I thought I was tweaking mentally. I hit a 2 mile trail a few times just to replicate the issue. Same response, no resolution. I woke up like 4:30 this morning looking at the bike, just trying to be constructive on the critisism to resolve the issue but how could it be a rider issue when the rider makes an adjustment that works for 5 minutes and then the setting changes noticably?

Maybe I should do another run; adjusted the way I want it before the ride, then run it without any adjustments at all, then watch it bottom out. Cause that's how it feels will happen next.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi, I have a Weyless XP, but for some reason I never got the 5th Element Air that comes with it, because of the I got my money back but still had no rear shock, so I went at got a Manitou 3-way Coil shock. Anyways, there is a certain procedure when setting up a Stable Platform air shock, just lumping them all together because I'm thinking the same procedure will work for all of them.

I'll be using the Manitou Product manual since that's what I have and they licensed their stuff from Progressive anyways.

1. Set SPV or CVT pressure to 75 psi.
2. Set sag. (I think this is where you pump up the main chamber)
3. Adjust SPV pressure to set the platform to your preference.
4. Screw in SPV volum adjuster to obtain desired "ramp up" (I don't even think the 5th Air has this).
5. Set rebound adjustment.

If this fails call progressive themselves and ask, this is probably a 1st generation model, and you have to take into consideration that 1st generation products have problems. Also do you have a product manual for the 5th Element, if you do you can probably get it waranteed and Progressive can send you a new one or something.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.