Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...my 5th was "adjusted" by a "mechanic" didn't have time to test out his work until two days later...now the darn thing just bounces all tight like, it's a total joke - up and down...looks and feels like a clown car rollin' round the circus floor??!!! The "mechanic" claims he didn't do anything except add air in the shock 10lbs or so?...Could that really cause all this bouncing?

I've tried all evening to adjust it - there seems to be no middle ground - it goes from flat slow suck like thick mud to quick jumpy up and down?...I think something happened to my shock?...anyone out there able to help? I'm seriously ticked!

thanks in advance for any help -danW

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
danW said:
...my 5th was "adjusted" by a "mechanic" didn't have time to test out his work until two days later...now the darn thing just bounces all tight like, it's a total joke - up and down...looks and feels like a clown car rollin' round the circus floor??!!! The "mechanic" claims he didn't do anything except add air in the shock 10lbs or so?...Could that really cause all this bouncing?

I've tried all evening to adjust it - there seems to be no middle ground - it goes from flat slow suck like thick mud to quick jumpy up and down?...I think something happened to my shock?...anyone out there able to help? I'm seriously ticked!

thanks in advance for any help -danW
Well, too much sag and not enough air on the 5th can make it feel pretty sluggish, but it sounds like there is more too it, and it's hard to nail it based on the description. It sounds like it may also be a rebound issue, but if that is the case you should be able to fix it by turning the rebound back up.

On the other hand, as a bike mechanic and avid rider, I find that a lot of people use way too much rebound. The question is, do you want it to work at higher speeds, or do you want it to work in the parking lot? It will feel very "bouncy" at slow speeds when you have it adjusted to work great at high speeds.

And one more thing, when a 5th element blows up, or at least when it partially leaks, the "slow" top-out rebound that makes it go "real slow" at the top of the stroke will dissapear. This has nothing to do with your mechanic, it just happens sometimes. When I first got my 5th element I set it up and vowed to jump off of everything I could find at the DH park in northstar. I did just that, and while everything felt great that day and even after the ride, the next day there was a puddle of oil beneath my 5th element and when I "pushed" on the shock it was super-bouncy in the top stroke. This sounds similer to what you are describing. Since mine happened when it was "just sitting there", I am sure it could happen to your's and anyone elses.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.