Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bullit Rider
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that there are some 5th Element shocks for a great deal on SC's website, although they list them for the V 10 and VP free, they don't mention if it will fit my early Bullit. The deal can't be beat- but, would be useless if the shock won't work for me. Anyone know for sure?

I realize it will raise my BB & change my geometry a bit, but what better excuse to get a longer fork?

Thanks!

·
Bullit Rider
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, I failed to mention my setup:
Original Fox Vanilla RC on rear, Marzocchi Z-1 front (2001, 5")

I ride a lot now. I rode XC (I guess you can call it that) on the bike as is last year. What a great feeling, passing people on Hecklers going up the mountain on my Bullit :)

Thanks!

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I have two Bullits, an older '99 like yours and the newer '03 version. IMO the 5th E coil was one of the best shocks for the Bullit. I even had two different sized DHX coils which I sold fairly quickly because I didn't like a harsh mid-stroke action they had on the Bullit. Suspension is very preferential, but I don't think you'll go wrong buying one of those bargain 5th E coil models available now.

When you say "raise you BB", I'm assuming you're buying an 8.5 X 2.5 model. That's the size rear shock I have on my '99 Bullit, and it works fine. I think it works better with a 6" fork, but it will do fine with a 5" fork...just put the front shock eye in the most forward hole in the shuttle.

·
Bullit Rider
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct; the shock I have now is only 7 7/8" long (original Fox). The one I'm looking at is 8 3/4" eye-to-eye.

Thanks for the input!
Clay

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I'm trying to remember now, but I think the pre '03 models have to have the front shock eye bolted directly to the frame mount instead of into the shuttle if you use an 8.75" shock. There's also difference of opinion about whether you can use a 6mm bolt at that frame point or whether you should drill the frame hole out to 8mm. If you're gonna use that 8.75 X 2.75 shock, then you should really go to a longer front fork.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
I'm kicking myself now for not ordering one of the 8.5 X 2.5 5ths when they still had them. I did buy a V10 shock which fits my bigger bike, and sure enough just after I got it I blew the one it was replacing. Well, just last week I blew my old Bullit shock too. :cryin:

This thread got me thinking about the 8.75 shock, but I just don't see how it's not going to mess my geometry up (538mm a-c fork). The old 9" i2i Romics fit nice, but 8.75 is such a tweener length.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
TNC said:
I'm trying to remember now, but I think the pre '03 models have to have the front shock eye bolted directly to the frame mount instead of into the shuttle if you use an 8.75" shock. There's also difference of opinion about whether you can use a 6mm bolt at that frame point or whether you should drill the frame hole out to 8mm. If you're gonna use that 8.75 X 2.75 shock, then you should really go to a longer front fork.
I took a look at my 01 (bent seat tube) and you could direct mount the 8.75, but it slacks it out and drops the BB quite a bit. The back axle would rise an inch, and the BB would drop ~0.7". The head angle would drop by ~1.3 degrees.

At bottom out the rear tire I've got on there (Motoraptor 2.4) would clear the seat tube by around 1/4".

You could not mount the shock using the shuttle on my bike because the swingarm would hit the seat tube at 8.75. This probably would work on the newer frames though.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
.Danno. said:
I took a look at my 01 (bent seat tube) and you could direct mount the 8.75, but it slacks it out and drops the BB quite a bit. The back axle would rise an inch, and the BB would drop ~0.7". The head angle would drop by ~1.3 degrees.

At bottom out the rear tire I've got on there (Motoraptor 2.4) would clear the seat tube by around 1/4".

You could not mount the shock using the shuttle on my bike because the swingarm would hit the seat tube at 8.75. This probably would work on the newer frames though.
I have an 01' Bullit size XL. I run a frame mounted DHX 8.75 x 2.75. Running a 2.35 rear is ok, anything larger will rub on bottomout. I swore that with the shuttle back there was enough clearance to run an 8.75, but I'd have to re-check. On a side note I heard over and over the older Bullits wouldn't accept an 8" rotor, well mine sure does :confused:

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
keen said:
I have an 01' Bullit size XL. I run a frame mounted DHX 8.75 x 2.75. Running a 2.35 rear is ok, anything larger will rub on bottomout. I swore that with the shuttle back there was enough clearance to run an 8.75, but I'd have to re-check. On a side note I heard over and over the older Bullits wouldn't accept an 8" rotor, well mine sure does :confused:
Mine's a large and with the 8.5 i2i and the shuttle forward it misses the seat tube by just a hair. The XL seat tube may be a little different.

No way on the 8" rotor for me, it's not even close. Are you positive it's not a newer swingarm?

·
Registered
471 Posts
.Danno. said:
Mine's a large and with the 8.5 i2i and the shuttle forward it misses the
No way on the 8" rotor for me, it's not even close. Are you positive it's not a newer swingarm?
Same here. I had issues getting a 6" to fit on my old Bullit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.