Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
Are you sure you're not seeing the drop from connecting the pump? There's not a lot of volume in that chamber and it has to refill the pump hose when you connect. All mine lose pressure when I connect.

If it really is leaking it could also be the schrader valve which I've heard can be screwed out and switched.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had 3 of these shocks, and while none have ever had sufficient rebound damping, none have ever leaked air from either chamber-that's not to say yours isn't leaking of course.

One easy step is to make sure you have valve covers. I've been told that the screw-on valve covers do more than just keep crap out of the valve, but are also actually functional in that the little rubber grommit inside the cover helps to stop air leaking from the valve.

But going further with Danno's suggestion: what happens if you pump the chamber to 100psi, disconnect the pump, then immediatly re-connect the pump? what does the guage read now?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
lordoftheblings said:
def. not the situation of pressure loss of the hose. I can pump it to 100lbs., ride for a while or let it sit overnight and reconnect the pump and it will read 80lbs.
What happens when you pump it to 100 lbs, disconnect the pump hose, and reconnect the pump hose again? Does it still read 100 lbs?

Edit: I should've read what Patsy wrote first. My question is almost identical.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
lordoftheblings said:
def. not the situation of pressure loss of the hose. I can pump it to 100lbs., ride for a while or let it sit overnight and reconnect the pump and it will read 80lbs.
I can pump my 5th Elements or my Fox DHX to 100lbs, disconnect the pump, reconnect the pump and it'll read 80lbs and they don't leak. Pure pump repressurization loss.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'll second (third?) what people have already suggested: the shock isn't leaking - it's losing pressure INTO the shock pump hose when it's connected to the valve. Depending on the length and diameter of your hose the IFP chamber loses between 30 and 60 psi (it's a very small chamber).

When I inflate to 50 psi, I get a barely perceptible needle jump when I connect my pump. It reads empty, but it wasn't until I connected the shock pump and the air escaped into the hose.

Here's a link to read:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/progressive/setupair.htm

·
baggin ho's
737 Posts
your bike is telling you something

It's telling you that 100 lbs is too much to run. it wants to be at 70 pounds. set your sag to 30-35% with the ifp at 70 and feel the flow:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.