Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend, I went to France to participate in the Pass'Portes du Soleil event. The 5 Spot was the weapon of choise as the organisers promised 75Km
of downhill track with 13-odd lifts to bring you to the top of the next course. Rumors were that there were also some climbs, but nothing too difficult. Our
group started out in Avoriaz, which turned out to be a good choice as there was minimal traffic and minimal waiting at the lifts. The 5 Spot did excellent,
except for high speed corners on gravel where I couldn't get the bike to steer where I wanted (always ran wide). That could well be down to the tire choice,
as I was running Schwalbe Big Jim 2.35" tires. Although great uphill, these didn't have much traction elsewhere. I chose the Big Jims because that's what
I had left after I couldn't get the Michelin downhill tires on the rims (Flow ZTR). I tried for an hour or so, but they really wouldn't go on the rims. The Joplin
seatpost was also a welcome addition, simply press the lever and down or up the post goes. Ideal! Although after 70 Km, it didn't want to fully extend
without some persuasion.

At the end of the day, we didn't manage to complete the whole course (we skipped 2 lifts and 5Km of on-road) because it was getting late and the lifts
would close at 18:00. We didn't want to get stuck in a valley and having to go over or around the mountain to get to 'our' valley. In the morning we had
to have the brakes on my buddies bike bled, so that cost us a lot of time. At the end of the day, the odometer said 96Km and we estimate more then
1000m of climbing.

The next day we decided to run some DH courses in Morzine and Les Gets. Not so good with the 5 Spot. But that is entirely due to the limited travel
you get on the 5 Spot and the DH courses had very deep brake-ruts before every corner. Also I don't have the balls to go in full-attack mode on such
courses :) But is was great fun. I even managed to jump once in a while, something I almost never do as I'm not very sure once in the air.

Ofcourse, I brought my camera with me so you can enjoy some pictures from the event.

Attachments

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Awesome pics, thanks for the stoke!!! Looks like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your comments. It was a really fun weekend, will do it again next year for sure. Pictures are taken with a Canon EOS 5DmkII with a 17-40L lens, which fit quite nicely in my camelback. As for the chairlift, I'm not really sure. I think it was the one from Morzine to Les Gets.

·
striker!
610 Posts
Looks like a fun trip! Thanks for sharing.

S

1 - 13 of 13 Posts