Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone seen (or felt) any convincing evidence that one is better than the other. Obviously the Thru axle fork will be stiffer, but it's also heavier & requires an accompanying hub... I'm 175lbs, ride XC, 20 pound Ti hard tail. Help!! (I realize that I could have asked on the Suspension thread, but I want to hear from big-hoop riders.)

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
3,830 Posts
I weigh 230+- and was surprised how stiff the QR Fox set up with a 9mm thru bolt. For your weight and intent I feel it would be more than adequate. I did sell it to a lighter friend when the 15mm came out. He has never mentioned it being flexy.

·
Registered
385 Posts
rooster44 said:
Has anyone seen (or felt) any convincing evidence that one is better than the other. Obviously the Thru axle fork will be stiffer, but it's also heavier & requires an accompanying hub... I'm 175lbs, ride XC, 20 pound Ti hard tail. Help!! (I realize that I could have asked on the Suspension thread, but I want to hear from big-hoop riders.)
The difference is noticeable, but that depends IMO on your terrain and bike...i.e. if you Ti HT is already not so stiff and weight is the biggest concern...go 9mm bolt but if precision on the trail is more important than weight go 15mm TA. The Fox fit rlc is a awesome fork with super adjustable to the terrain...in fact todays ride went from swooping softpack and sand to babyhead stones and tons of roots....all I did was crank up or down the low speed compression and went from firm to super plush...soo sweet!

For me the 15mm TA is worth its weight in gold...and given the option(bike) I would have done a Taper steerer too...as that makes everything incredibly stiff.

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I changed the title on this thread after visiting the DT Swiss Website. What I have is a 5mm conventional DT Swiss 240 front hub BUT, I need to tear down the wheelset to build back up on a 29" hoop anyway so I need to know if I should just sell the wheel as it is and buy a 15mm hub to accomodate the thru axle...

·
Registered
385 Posts
rooster44 said:
So I changed the title on this thread after visiting the DT Swiss Website. What I have is a 5mm conventional DT Swiss 240 front hub BUT, I need to tear down the wheelset to build back up on a 29" hoop anyway so I need to know if I should just sell the wheel as it is and buy a 15mm hub to accomodate the thru axle...
Pretty sure the 240 hub is convertible to what you need..9mm, 15mm or 20mm....

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
rooster44 said:
The 20mm Hub is convertible to 15 or 9 but the 5mm QR hub is not convertible to larger sizes
You can convert the standard 240 hub to a thru-bolt setup at 9mm using the RWS system that is said to increase clamping stiffness to support the fork. You can't convert the smaller shell to 15 or 20 though. Here is the kit for the hub:
http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Acc.../Conversion-Kit-240s-disc-brake-TB-front.aspx

Here is the bolt you would use through the endcaps:
http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components/RWS/RWS-thru-bolt.aspx

I run 10 mm RWS on one of my standard 240 rear hubs, and have thought about converting the front also. I like the idea of the 9mm thru better than stepping up to 15, because I also run rigid forks on a couple bikes and like to be able to swap wheelsets around. If I ever add in another suspension fork I would go with standard dropouts and the 9mm RWS for that reason. I'm sure the 15mm has it's benefits if you are willing to sacrifice swapability, and the minor weight savings. All in all I am not a big suspension guy, just wanted to point out you do have an option for a standard front 240s hub.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Rooster

I have used the DTSwiss RWS 9mm axle back to back vs standard QR.
I could feel absolutely no improvement in stiffness, nor could a couple of my friends who tried it.
IMO this is pure marketing BS.
If you look at a standard hub there are lips that the dropout sits on. These lips are 9mm. Replacing these lips with a bolt the same size can do nothing to improve stiffness as far as I can see. The much more solid hub body also remains unchanged.
Another IMO is that most riders could not tell whether a noodly feeling was a result of their fork, loose QR, bad wheelbuild or any number of other factors.

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good advice. Add to that the fact that to take a standard hub to 9mm (DT Swiss) you are looking at ~$100 & 80 grams. I'll stick with conventional or just get a King or Hope 15mm Hub & go with the Thru Axle

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
rooster44 said:
Good advice. Add to that the fact that to take a standard hub to 9mm (DT Swiss) you are looking at ~$100 & 80 grams.
Well...the replacement endcaps on the hub would weigh the same or less. The 9mm front RWS skewer weighs 49g, the same or less than a regular QR skewer. So...the weight gain comes from where? :skep:

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
replacement endcaps I will need to research (on weight) but my front QR scewer is sub 20g. That still doesn't address the fact that you are dropping ~$100 for what benefit? The point about the ridges that rest in the fork being 9mm is pretty convincing...

King's 15mm hub is advertised at 164 grams, BTW

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Thru axles rawk on the longer fork legs of a 29er, period. Precise steering, not noodle strudel.

Matters not who makes the fork or if 15mm or 20; get the TA! :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.