Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm 5ft 6in (165cm) and I'm looking for a 29er.
I know the Fisher SuperFly is awesome but at AUD7999 so is the price. A Paragon is AUD2999 and has heavy wheels whilst a Giant is AUD2299! With a Giant I could get a set of AC wheels and still be under AUD3000!
Niner Air's and MCR's will be around AUD1500 for the frame here. No stock as yet. I guess our dollar isn't that good against the US799 price tag!
I've lined up a ride on a small Giant for next week. I'm working on a ride on a GF.
Well short people any thoughts?

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
I have a Fisher Cobia (17.5") at 5'6" tall myself and it fits really well. Is it the greatest bike in the world? NO, but it is a competent bike. I think the Paragon uses the same frame but with better components. The Superfly would be cool, but for those kind of duckets you might be able to get/build a pretty nice boutique bike.

Do you have any Salsa dealers down there? The El Mariachi is a great option in 29ers.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I have a friend that is 5'4" and she rides a 16" frame 29'er. Fits her pretty well - 15" might be ideal, but hey... I am 5'9" and ride an 18" and it feels great. Try a couple of them out (if you can) for size and if it feels good, do it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frozenspokes Do you have any Salsa dealers down there? The El Mariachi is a great option in 29ers.[/QUOTE said:
Same people that do Niner. The LBS said they have no 2009 stock, reduced their 2010 Salsa lineup and due to True Temper closing down Salsa is swimming a little atm.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm 5'6" and am rockin' a Fantom 29Pro SL. 13" is perfect, not to mention lighter than of course the bigger frame selections. Good luck!

·
COMBO - President
296 Posts
5'6" here and rode a Niner JET in small frame until the recall, now have a Niner RIP in a small, best fitting bikes I have ever owned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also am 5' 6" and was dead set on getting a 29er full squish but the weather here has not cooperated with my work schedule and all of the Fisher demo rides and niner demo rides in my area were either cancelled or I was working. So I arranged a couple of demo rides through some of the LBS's and got to trail ride a Niner EMD (small) and tool around in the parking lot on a small framed Giant hard tail (none of the LBS's could get me a small framed FS 29er demo on a decent time table). I also got to ride a rigid steel 29er SS that some guy had out at the trailhead one day. But I am totally sold on the 29er platform, even for short people (as you can tell from my user name). Also since I'm coming from a 26" hard tail (TREK 8000) I test rode a couple of full sus 26" bikes that buddies owned and determined that I both liked the 29er platform and full sus. I ended up dealing with a local shop that is swinging me a killer deal on a size small (16") Ellsworth Evolve with full xt, CK hubs/headset, Stans Arch rims, and Easton carbon bar. They have promised that the fit will be pretty dialed and that if stem length or angle needs to be changed that they will make swaps at no extra. It is almost finished and looks like the fit is going to be pretty good. I have not actually thrown a leg over it yet though. I will repost in a couple of days when I have had a chance to ride it like I stole it and let you know my impressions (also try to include a pic). Best of luck with your choice.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,592 Posts
My wife is 5' 3.5" and was riding a 15.5" Felt Nine Deluxe without any trouble at all.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm 5'6" on a good day and have had success on and enjoyed:

A Raleigh XXIX
A Salsa El Mariachi
A Vassago Jabberwocky
A Niner Air 9.

All in size small naturally. YMMV.

·
Registered
286 Posts
5'5" here and I ride a small Turner Sultan (4.7" travel front and rear), the only issue I run into is a ever so slight toe clearance with 170mm cranks and size 43 shoes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts