Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here that have a oval head and measure 59-60cm and actually have a helmet that fits well?
I personally measure about 59.5cm and I have been through countless helmets at this point tbh and lived with less than optimal fits for years.

Just some exsamples ordered in the order they fitted my oval head the best

1. Lazer Impala - Size L 58-61cm
  2. Met Terranova - Size L 58-61cm
  3. Kali Maya 2.0 - Size S/M 55-61cm
  4. Giro Source - Size M and L 55-59cm and 59-63cm
  5. Bell 4forty - Size L 58-62cm
  6. POC Tectal - Size XL/XXL 59-62cm
All of them have a mushroom like look and fit on me, they get more mushroom like the lower on the rank they are.
The Lazer is like exactly my head lenght internally without compressing the padding (about 21.4cm), the Kali sat extremely tight unbearable for anything longer than 30-40min. The Giro in the size M I could have on for 2min at most and in L it was huge on my head and just impossible to get a secure fit with. The Bell was just as hopeless as the Giro in size L. The POC was rediculously large on my head, I wouldn't trust it at all in that size.

Does anyone have similar issues and found a helmet that actually fits well or am I doomed to the mushroom life? Any suggestions are welcome 馃槂

Registered
I have a 59cm long oval noggin and have always had to search to try to find something that worked well. I always go for comfort first and try before I buy. Right now I'm using a TLD A1, which is comfortable for me, but does have some mushroom effect. That doesn't trouble me much as I can't see myself while out riding, but I would prefer less mushroom if possible. It's been a while since I tried on other helmets, but IIRC, some Bontrager helmets fit me well as did the POC Tectal. I have found significant differences in fit between different models in a given brand, so sticking with a brand doesn't necessarily work.

Registered
I have a tall, long oval head and have tried many helmets. My current helmets are IXS Trail EVO and Giro Chronicle MIPS. Both are long ovals and are deep (tall). For me, it seems the "tall" part is the most difficult part to fit.

I have tried POC Tectal and Tectal Spin (too round), Leatt DBX 3.0 (slightly too shallow), Lazer Impala MIPS (way too shallow), IXS Trigger AM (way too shallow even though similar to IXS Trail), Fox Speedframe (too round), Kali Maya 2.0 (too shallow), TLD A1 (too round), and TLD A2 (too round).

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I have a tall, long oval head and have tried many helmets. My current helmets are IXS Trail EVO and Giro Chronicle MIPS. Both are long ovals and are deep (tall). For me, it seems the "tall" part is the most difficult part to fit.

I have tried POC Tectal and Tectal Spin (too round), Leatt DBX 3.0 (slightly too shallow), Lazer Impala MIPS (way too shallow), IXS Trigger AM (way too shallow even though similar to IXS Trail), Fox Speedframe (too round), Kali Maya 2.0 (too shallow), TLD A1 (too round), and TLD A2 (too round).
The difference in how tall/shallow the IXS helmets are is quite interesting. Have you tried the 100% Altec by any chance?
Personally then the Giro source I tried was too shallow for me, maybe it has a different fit than the Chronicle, though Giro's sizing is rather annoying for my head size

Registered
The difference in how tall/shallow the IXS helmets are is quite interesting. Have you tried the 100% Altec by any chance?
Personally then the Giro source I tried was too shallow for me, maybe it has a different fit than the Chronicle, though Giro's sizing is rather annoying for my head size
I was shocked in the difference between the IXS helmets as well. I read a review by someone that stated that they fit very different - I agree.

The Giro Chronicle is the only Giro helmet that fits my head. All other Giros were way too shallow.

I haven't tried the 100% Alltec.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I was shocked in the difference between the IXS helmets as well. I read a review by someone that stated that they fit very different - I agree.

The Giro Chronicle is the only Giro helmet that fits my head. All other Giros were way too shallow.

I haven't tried the 100% Alltec.
Bit of a weird question, do you know if the Chronicle is slightly longer than other Giro helmets? Because the width seems okay in the size M for me

Registered
I just purchased an XL/XXL (59-62) POC Tectal Race Spin and a L (57-61) Specialized Ambush w/ANGi to compare. I have 60.5CM oval head.

The Tectal sits very low on my head, even after adjusting the height slider. The front is a finger width above my eyebrows, but puts pressure low on my forehead. While I wore it for an hour and never got a headache, I'm not sure I can get use to the feel in front. Unfortunate as it was the best built helmet I ever tried.

The Ambush fits my oval head great. It doesn't have as much low coverage, but still seems to offer good protection. It also has slightly less of a mushroom appearance, though that may be because it is black (versus the white Tectal).

I'd recommend giving a Specialized Ambush w/ANGi (or the lesser finished Ambush Comp) a try.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I just purchased an XL/XXL (59-62) POC Tectal Race Spin and a L (57-61) Specialized Ambush w/ANGi to compare. I have 60.5CM oval head.

The Tectal sits very low on my head, even after adjusting the height slider. The front is a finger width above my eyebrows, but puts pressure low on my forehead. While I wore it for an hour and never got a headache, I'm not sure I can get use to the feel in front. Unfortunate as it was the best built helmet I ever tried.

The Ambush fits my oval head great. It doesn't have as much low coverage, but still seems to offer good protection. It also has slightly less of a mushroom appearance, though that may be because it is black (versus the white Tectal).

I'd recommend giving a Specialized Ambush w/ANGi (or the lesser finished Ambush Comp) a try.
Oh yeah I had totally forgotten about the Ambush, it looks quite nice tbh. Thanks for the input :D

Registered
Are there anybody here who have been able try out the Lazer Jackal Mips yet? It seems to be out of stock everywhere, maybe it鈥檚 because it has just been released. It looks interesting though. Especially in black and white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Are there anybody here who have been able try out the Lazer Jackal yet? It seems to be out of stock everywhere, maybe it鈥檚 because it has just been released. It looks interesting though. Especially in black and white.

I haven't tried the Jackal but it looks "deeper" fitting than the Impala, which fit way to shallow for me. The Jackal could be a winner.

Registered
^My current helmets are the IXS trail rs in ML which fits me very well and TLD A2 in MD/LG but that is not as good a fit as the IXS although it鈥檚 not bad. But I hate visor on the A2, I think it鈥檚 rubbish, it does not shield glasses from the rain at all.

Registered
My head is 59cm and oval; when I rode motorcycles, I had to buy helmets shipped from Europe (non-DOT approved) because they were the only ones oval enough. I needed a new helmet recently after getting tired of my ill-fitting Bell.
I tried these:
POC Tectal
TLD A2 (this wasn't bad)
Fox Speedframe Pro
Bell Sixxer Mips
Mavic Deemax Pro
Spec Ambush (Angi) - this is what I stuck with and it fits pretty good. I like how low it sits on my head, too.

Registered
I feel your pain.... we need a sub-topic on mtbr = "The 59cm Head"....

I finally paid for a POC Tectal Race Spin... about $50 more than I would like to spend on a helmet (at $220-235). The good news is that the M/L fits well on my 59.5cm noggin.

PRO: The helmet itself is very good quality, fits well, and works like a helmet should (no flopping around). The airflow is excellent and I like the extra occipital protection. Adjustable visor is just the right length and has metal (not plastic) fastensers. Liner is the 'spin' tech from POC... easy to remove (standard velcro tabs) and clean.

CON: The liner! Either I have the worst luck ever with helmet liners, or manufacturers are just making sub-optimal items for this non-durable part. I have now been through three different helmets in the last few years (Giro, Troy Lee Designs, POC) all the liners have failed at the seam in the first year (TLD is the worst). In the case of the TLD and POC, replacement liners were either no longer available (TLD) or out of stock (POC). I hand-wash the liners in warm water with dish soap and air dry... not abusive care by any stretch of the imagination.

My best advice: Know your helmet liner is a non-durable part and will likely fail in about a year or less. You can replace the first one on warranty (most brands helmet coverage), but after that you'll be paying about $25 for a replacement (IF they are even available). I just got the POC liner replaced on warranty.... and then bought TWO more.... I think that should give me about 4-6 years out of the POC (the ratchet fit system will eventually fail as well as they do on all helmets with this type = the plastic ratchets just wear out and are not replaceable).

Appreciate any tips if someone knows a good way to repair this:

Registered
I forgot, add to the list of slightly oval helmets... Limar. I have a cheap 鈥渦rban鈥 helmet called 720掳, and it fits ok. I haven鈥檛 tried their mtb helmet. Since it wasn鈥檛 MIPS, I decided not to bother.

Registered
I have a narrow face but take almost the largest hat size (6 7/8"), I'm not sure if I qualify as oval but maybe. After 14 years using a Giro Phase I decided it was probably a good idea to buy a new helmet for my own safety.

I took a chance and ordered a Large (59-62) Smith Forefront 2. It fits perfectly. Certainly not cheap, but by all reviews a very good helmet as long as I don't do anything requiring a full-face. I did do the measuring with string beforehand, the size label on the Giro had long since faded away. I realise with shops closed for Covid-19 it is difficult right now to try & buy.

P.S. Get someone to take a photo of you in the helmet, they always look weirder/more mushroom when you are looking directly in a mirror.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts