Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
EDR
10,433 Posts
anything is possible, I guess.

I've got to believe you've either got the wrong frame for your wishes/needs or you've got the wrong fork for your new ride.

Go with at least the 130mm fox. And as long as your buying a new fork, get a 140mm Pike!!! Awesome match for the frame. :D

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
130mm & up!!

MathiasDK said:
Hello,

I'm about to buy a 575 frame in large. I heard somewhere that I should use a 130 mm fork with it. Is this true or cna I use my Fox 100RL (100 mm travel)?
Dude,
130mm and up only. My recommendation is 130mm Fox RLC or TALAS. If you get the TALAS you can always ride it at 100mm until you figure out that it does not work right, then set it back at 130mm.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have seen some with a 100mm fork on a 575. If you go for it you probably has to keep the RP3 in full ProPedal and pump just a wee bit harder than normal. You also ought to consider the RS Revelation Air U-Turn. That way you can always see what it feels like when you adjust the travel.

I have a Fox Vanilla with 130mm which is a nice match with the 575. But I will probably buy a Pike Air in the near future to see what it feels like.

·
Registered
451 Posts
How bad will a 120mm fork work out? I really love the features and feel of my Manitou Black Platinum IT 120 which I want to transfer to my new 575 frame.

What would happen if a person would put a 15mm spacer UNDER the lower steering head cone to lower the fork in the frame?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Destroy said:
How bad will a 120mm fork work out? I really love the features and feel of my Manitou Black Platinum IT 120 which I want to transfer to my new 575 frame.

What would happen if a person would put a 15mm spacer UNDER the lower steering head cone to lower the fork in the frame?
120mm will be fine as long as you don't run too much sag.

A spacer is a bad idea. For starters if you put a spacer between the fork crown and the headset, the headset won't locate on the taper of the steerer tube.

You can get +5mm heasets though if you get really desperate for length.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Destroy said:
nothing good. what would you mount the crown race on? If you are really bent on this idea: first, try a Cane Creek S3+5, the bottom cup extends 5mm lower than it needs to, doesn't give you the 15mm you where talking about, but helps. If you really, really want more, find a machine shop to make you an extension, a piece you'd press into the lower head tube that would give you the extension but still let you mount the bearing where it needs to be wrt the fork. I'm not sure it would be safe to do this with the full 15mm, but with a the S3+5 you could get closer. Serotta used to make these out of Ti, but I haven't seen them in a while.

as for the 120mm fork, the black has a AC of 490 at 120, Yeti says their geo is based on 511, so figure the head angle will be about a degree steeper, the seat angle 1.5-2° steeper (you can correct with a setback post), the bar will be about an inch lower (assuming you don't raise it), and the BB... well I haven't worked that out yet, but it will be lower, unless you run less sag in the fork.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
as other have said bad idea on the spacer.... you can get a thicker crown race (like the one Ventana makes for King headsets) or a thicker lower cup.....

the real problem I see with a shorter fork is that you BB height might be too low and get some pedal clearance problems, this would depend on your terrain conditions and fork sag...

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'm not so sure I'll notice any geometry issues but if the pedals are constantly hitting roots and rocks that's gonna really piss me off. Thats the 2nd main issue I hate about my current Trek Liquid 10 and one of the main reasons I wanted a new bike. (Just ordered my 575 frame yesterday btw.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.