Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I working on getting a 575 frame soon and am looking to put a 6" for on it rather than my current Vanilla 125 RL. Based on several posts I've read the 575 works really well with a 6" fork. I'd like something with a 20MM axel and height adjustment.

I weigh 195 and ~205 with gear. I ride aggressive singletrack and am starting to take smaller jumps (1-3 feet). I don't jump well so I don't expect to huck off a 5-6 foot drop anytime soon.

Is the '05 Z1 FR too much fork for me? I know the AM1 would be good but no 20MM axel, and the PIKE but no height adjustment. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Well for starters the Pike does have a height adjustment, goes from 95-140mm. I think the Pike is a great fork for the 575, it actually has more features than a Z1 FR which only has ETA. The Pike can be set like a overdampened feature for climbing and full on plush for the downhills. Its stiff and light too.
I have tried a 05 Z1 FR on the bike just for grins, turns the 575 into a light FR machine! I dont do hucks or big drops, infact the biggest has been only 2', LOL, and just about any bike can do that. But with the Z1 on there decents are fast and smooth, rock gardens feel the same. Its a hard fork for the climbs though, even with the ETA feature it kinda feels heavey. For the shuttle days or trips to Mammoth or any ski resort trip, the Z1 is fantastic!
With the Z1 on the front, the small 575 weighed in at 30.1 pounds, I also have some decent light FR/trailbike worthy parts on the frame too.
If I were to only have one fork for the 575, it might be the Pike, with the same parts build and the Pike, it would weigh around 29.5 pounds. I just perfer more of a heavy duty bike so the Z1 could grace the frame as well, another note, the Fox 36 would be sweet too!

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which PIKE?

You know as I posted that I thought the PIKE might have some form of height adjustment with that poplock thing. Thanks for pointing that out. Is the heigh adjustment like the AM1 or the 36 where you can set the height anywhere within the 95mm-140mm of travel or like ETA forks where its full up (140mm) or full down (95mm)?

Which PIKE do you have on your 575? I know they have several models.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'll second his Pike recommendation. After experimenting with two springs (firm & x-firm), compression settings, and stem height, I agree that the Pike is perfect for the 575. It's plush & stiff, and the adjustments really work. Now that I've found the right stem height (for me, at least), I consider the 140mm setting to be perfect for all but the steepest climbs I've encountered.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Amaner, how much do you weigh, what is your riding style (fast, scary fast, any drops, etc), and what spring did you settle on. I plow through my Pikes travel way too easily, but don't want to go up to x-firm springs for my 175# self (very little sag as it is with the firm spring).

·
Registered
101 Posts
tscheezy said:
Amaner, how much do you weigh, what is your riding style (fast, scary fast, any drops, etc), and what spring did you settle on. I plow through my Pikes travel way too easily, but don't want to go up to x-firm springs for my 175# self (very little sag as it is with the firm spring).
Howdy tscheezy. I'm 210#, and while I'd like to say I'm scary fast in the sense that you meant it, maybe I'm just scary while being fast. I like to ride fast, with the occasional 2' or 3' drop thrown in. While I prefer the firm spring for regular riding, I'm running the x-firm now as a "best compromise," since I bottomed out pretty hard on a couple fast g-outs when running the firm spring. However, I usually finished a ride (on the firm spring) without bottoming, and would in fact have around 2/3 of an inch showing above the top dust ring. Hmmm...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.