Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've never ridden the 575, just the AS-R. Today I rode the Specialized Enduro Comp with the new Fox 36 and was quite impressed. I was expecting the bike to be a very heavy and lethargic handling bike, it was not. Plus it looks like the frame is burly enough to handle whatever I throw at it (4' drops, occasional downhill runs, rock gardens at speed,etc)

Between the 2 bikes, which is burlier? Which has better compliance over stutter bumps and baby-head type rocks? Basically, what is each one better at?

Thanks

PS I would be considering the 575 with a RS Pike Team fork.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
soulfly_NYC said:
Hi,

I've never ridden the 575, just the AS-R. Today I rode the Specialized Enduro Comp with the new Fox 36 and was quite impressed. I was expecting the bike to be a very heavy and lethargic handling bike, it was not. Plus it looks like the frame is burly enough to handle whatever I throw at it (4' drops, occasional downhill runs, rock gardens at speed,etc)

Between the 2 bikes, which is burlier? Which has better compliance over stutter bumps and baby-head type rocks? Basically, what is each one better at?

Thanks

The Enduro is burlier and will be better for light freeriding and will have better compliance over stutter bumps and baby heads because of the FSR active 4 bar suspension and Fox 36, which is beefier than the Pike without a huge weight penalty.

The 575 is lighter and should get you up the hills faster and would be more suited for xc/enduro riding imo. The lightest version of the 6" Enduro is 30lbs and that is the S works which is big bucks. The 575 can built lighter than 30lbs and still be durable.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
soulfly_NYC said:
Thanks Ronny

Do you think the Fox 36 would be nice on the 575?

I heard the 575 is going to be speced with the Fox 36 and the new DHX air shock...do you think that would make it a bit more confident on the downhills?

Thanks
I think the 36 would work well on the 575 . I have only tested the 36 on the showroom floor and parking lot , but it has the same talas feel as other fox forks which is a good thing IMO. Personally, I would choose the Fox if you were going to be doing some freeriding and can afford the sticker shock. So, yeah you would feel more confident with the 36 on the dh imo. I have never seen the DHX air shock so I cant comment on it.

There is nothing wrong with the Pike though. It is not quite as beefy with slightly less travel, but costs half as much and is a proven performer. The Pike has slightly less travel but the travel can be decreased more on the Pike than the Fox, so pick your poison. The travel on the Pike via U-turn can be adjusted much faster than the Fox. The Pike also weighs a little bit less. The 36 is advertised as a sub 5lb fork but it weighs over 5lbs. I have heard 5.23 or something in that range where the Pike is 4.95 for the SL . Not a big difference regardless.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Ronny,

Thanks for your advice. With the same forks, do you think there would be a big difference in the downhill capabilities of the 2 bikes?

I haven't seen the 575 in person, just the AS-R...so maybe that's why I think the S-Enduro looks like a beefier bike.

is the suspension movement / swingarm rigidity on the Yeti as good as the FSR's?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Beefier period.

soulfly_NYC said:
Hey Ronny,

Thanks for your advice. With the same forks, do you think there would be a big difference in the downhill capabilities of the 2 bikes?

I haven't seen the 575 in person, just the AS-R...so maybe that's why I think the S-Enduro looks like a beefier bike.

is the suspension movement / swingarm rigidity on the Yeti as good as the FSR's?

Thanks
The new Enduro is beefier for sure and has a touch more rear travel. The Enduro will out perform the 575 on the dh if both bikes have the same fork. The 575 is a great bike but the Enduro is more suited to drops and dh riding. Both bikes have rigid designs but the 575 is a sp vs the 4 bar design of the Enduro. The Enduro will give you better bump absorption and less brake jack that is typical of a sp design. The differences are not huge and the best way to decide is ride both bikes if you can.

Check out the reviews on the 575 on this site to find out the capabilities of the bike and maybe ask some riders on the Yeti site.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I will add that even though the 575 is a SP, there is no braking force messing around with the rear suspension, seems odd, but true. The 575 is no tinker bell on the decents, and with a longer travel fork like a Pike or 36 the bike can handle most trail obsticles with ease. 2' drops are no sweat, (to flat) anything larger hasnt been done by me. :D

Comparing the two bikes you listed, that is a hard call, I really like the new Enduro's. I have looked at them close, the SX trail is just a sick bike, but the standard frame looks like its built very well and should handle the type of stuff you are looking for, and probably a little better than the 575. Looks like you have some room to raise or lower the seatpost on this years frame, something that couldnt happen last year, and one of the reasons I didnt look at one then. A nice long stroke shock is on both frames that can handle most hits.

I just got a new 6 Pack, more Enduro like than the 575, so I will see how it rides down the road. I truely like the 575, for a light weight trailbike, its great!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much does 05 Enduro expert weigh?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how much the Enduro Expert weighs? I don't think it was too heavy, and am wondering how close it might be in weight to the Yeti AS-X...perhaps that is a more pertinent comparison?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I'd say enduro..

soulfly_NYC said:
Hi,

Thanks

But that damn interrupted seat post is crap IMO

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
i will second the no brake jack line on the 575....i just put a marz am1 on my 575, have you considered that?? it really has changed the feel of the bike going downhill with a good weight penalty in that it help keep the front end down on steeper climbs...i really like the ETA feature as well (essentially give you less travel, down to about 3 inches for steeper climbs)....either way your getting a nice ride but i would encourage you to demo some, its really the only way to tell whats good for you...

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
mtnfiend said:
did you have on your 575 before you put the AM1 on there?
i had a 05 talas and while i liked the fork i didn't use the adjustability, just kept it at 130mm...to me the marz adjustability of 130-150mm is more useful and fork is more plush overall....

·
Registered
1 Posts
soulfly_NYC said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how much the Enduro Expert weighs? I don't think it was too heavy, and am wondering how close it might be in weight to the Yeti AS-X...perhaps that is a more pertinent comparison?

Thanks
I looked at both of these bikes when buying. The Specialized Enduro Expert weighed a tad over 32 pounds for an 04 model. I don't know what the new 05 model weighs. My 05 Yeti 575 weighs 28.5 pounds and that is with heavy Maxxis DH tires. That had a tremendous impact on my personal decision to buy the Yeti. As for durability, I have done a 3' drop onto flat asphalt several times and no damage or failure yet ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.