Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
575 vs. ASX vs. nomad

really quick I am looking for a all mountian bike that light enough for trail riding and tough enough for some freeriding stuff. also thinking of a nomad if i can get a decent price on a frame. well back to the subject at hand. i am 5'10" 200# and I tend to be an aggressive xc trail rider and a beginer on the free ride stuff. so I need some thing light enought to xc/ with some steep hills and strong enough to do some light dh and some rough beginner style freeride (rough around the edges) so in other words a light all mountian that is tough....so for sounding so redundent:madman: :madman: .....thanks guys for the help...

btw I am getting a deal on both frames, and i am gonna build up from there..... any suggestions to my planned riding for both bikes!!:D

·
Registered
754 Posts
I imagine that by As-r, you mean the as-r sl. Regardless, the 575 fits the bill much better than the lighter and shorter-travel as-r sl. If AM and light freeride (you had mentioned some dh) is your primary interest, you may be better suited with an as-x. The 575 will climb quite a bit better than the asx due to weight, geometery, build and rear shock setup, however either bike can be built to suit a specific purpose more closely. You may be interested in setting up a 575 more towards a FR build, or taking an as-x and building it more towards all mountain. I'd suggest spending some time on each frame. Where are you located?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
I second NW's recommendation... for the "range" that you want this bike to cover.. I would also recommend th 575, the ASR-SL is a fine race machine that can double as a trail bike, but I don't think it is designned for "beginner style freeride"

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
Sounds like the 575 is definitely the bike for your needs. At your weight and riding style I would think the AS-R SL is too race-oriented and light. I'm 200+ and have a 575 and ride up and down the mountain on it - the 575 is a good climber and great on the rough stuff. Definitely ride them first, including the Nomad, and that will help solidify your decision.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry for the missunderstanding. i really meant the ASX(big hit)compared to the 575:D

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
Well, then it probably boils down to how big of jumps and what frequency. Which would you ride most? Uphill and downhill or just downhill? The 575 if you need a good climbing trail bike that can handle the rough stuff - my XL 575 weighs around 29lbs. If you are getting into freeride full time, then you might want a burlier bike.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i would be doing pretty much agressive xc/all mountain=60% and freeride/ light downhill=40%... so far you are saying that the 575 would ft my need the best??? is the nomad just too much travel for a xc bike??

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
I think the Nomad is a great bike and would probably handle the job with flying colors. I'd ride both, and perhaps a few others to see how they feel to you - that's always important. The 575 is a great "bang-for-the-buck" bike, while the Nomad is a little pricier.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sounds like you are right bewteen the 575 and as-x. As much as I'd love for you to jump on a yeti, it sounds like you are right in nomad territory. Correct me if i am wrong, but to me, the nomad seems to fit the bill right between AM and FR. They way i see it, the 575 would be an 80%xc/am bike, with occasional light freeride use, where as the as-x (depending on build) should be more of a dedicated freeride frame 30% xc/am, 70% fr/dh. The nomad however, should be equally capable for AM and FR.

If you are sold on yeti, I'd built a lighter and steeper asx. Build one with a 36 talas or lyric 2 step near 35lbs 68-69 degree head tube angle, and you would be very happy.

Hope this helps!

Also, you'll save a bit of $$$ with an as-x over a nomad, should you decide to go that route.

·
******ed or Branded??
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so far I am really leaning towards the 575 due to price situation. now with that said.

Crisillo, i read on another thread that you weigh a little more than me and the 575 has handled everything you have thrown at it. now my question is the 575 in some light to medium jumping? just want to make sure that it can handle the every so often found drop along a xc/am trail. wanna still do those with out cracking the bike then having to hike out 15 miles back to the car...

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
doodooboi said:
ok so far I am really leaning towards the 575 due to price situation. now with that said.

Crisillo, i read on another thread that you weigh a little more than me and the 575 has handled everything you have thrown at it. now my question is the 575 in some light to medium jumping? just want to make sure that it can handle the every so often found drop along a xc/am trail. wanna still do those with out cracking the bike then having to hike out 15 miles back to the car...
I don't do any big drops...YET ;) ... but do take any jump that appears on the trail.... I am learning to take bigger jumps so I don't drop more than 2-3 feet at the moment... I have biked for a long time, mostly XC...now with my 575 I have started to "expand my riding horizons" so I have been practicing my drops... start small to go big, right? ;)

I weigh about 220 lbs, and though I have been told that there are stiffer bikes (Titus and Ventana come to mind) by riders that have ridden them, the 575 hasn't limited any of my riding AT ALL! As you can tell I love my 575! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.