Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning to get a new ride and torn between a 575 and a 5 Spot. I havent ridden any of them yet. But I hope you can give me feedbacks and comparison of both. (aside from the more pocket shaving turner) thanks!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have yet to ride a 575 but i do have 2003 5 Spot with a Romic, still rides as good as new, still on the same bushes and its well wet and muddy in the UK.I may put a RP3 just to get the weight down to about 27Ib or less and a bit more zip for long forrest climbs.The bike excells on steep climbs and has loads of traction, downhill just point and shoot. I would test both bikes as iam sure the Yeti is a good bike.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I own a Spot and have a bit of time on 575s. The Yeti is a touch plusher and a touch lighter. It pedals similarly well to the Spot, and I could not detect any compromised braking behavior. Both climb with alacrity and are stable, neutral, and very balanced when descending. The construction of both bikes is top notch. The Yeti is a bit more bling looking with more tube manipulation and better graphics. The 575 also costs considerably less. Go-ride has them for $1299 for the frame. I would not hesitate for a moment to buy a 575...

... except I am not a big bearing-equipped bike aficionado since I live in coastal Alaska and ride in muddy goo pretty much all year and the Turner bushing system pretty much kicks complete ass in the muck. I also like to run a lot of different shocks on my bikes (I have used Romic, RP3, Swinger Air, DHX, etc) and the Turner takes them all. The weight of the frame and size of the tubing on the 575 make me think the bike must be very thin walled and dent prone, but that is just a supposition.

Other than that, I would likely be on a 575. They ride famously.

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
he weight of the frame and size of the tubing on the 575 make me think the bike must be very thin walled and dent prone, but that is just a supposition.

Ive had 2 bad accidents since I purchased my 575 almost a year ago. Both times my bike went thru some rocks or hit some rock ledges. Hardly even a scratch on the paint:) I think the 575 is deceptively tough and is built to really hammer when you have to,

Shawn

·
Registered
137 Posts
They're both great...

TSCheesey hit it right on the head. They're both great bikes. Since Turner went to the RP3 on the rear, the weights are quite close(if you put the same builds on both bikes) I don't think you'd be disappointed with either. Now you just have to make the tough decision. :p

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeti strengths?

This is only theory!

...but if the weights of both bikes are very close in weight with the RP3 shock, and the Yeti has less moving parts and a less complex suspension design, then wouldn't you think that there is more metal in the places where it is needed for strength on the 575?

The conjoined head tube and hourglass steerer tube on the 575 look to be very strong considering their weight, and I personally prefer it to a gusseted head tube. Also call it a modified single pivot, dogbone, whatever...it is a machpherson strut design which is the same principle used on the porsche 911 and BMW M3 suspension...a simple design with low moving mass that will react and return to equlibrium quickly while giving a smooth ride.

I'm biased because I just ordered a 575, but if i had to say the strengths of the Turner it would definitely be handmade quality. The welds look much nicer on the 5spot and 6pack, and the BB housing looks a bit sturdier. Add up the historical reliability of the Turner (or FSR) design and it is a sweet ride.

Either way you probaby can't go wrong...i would probably have bought a 6-pack if it were the same price as the 575 with the parts I wanted (bought Enduro 20), but the pricing on the Yeti builds is very hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
tscheezy said:
I own a Spot and have a bit of time on 575s. The Yeti is a touch plusher and a touch lighter. It pedals similarly well to the Spot, and I could not detect any compromised braking behavior. Both climb with alacrity and are stable, neutral, and very balanced when descending. The construction of both bikes is top notch. The Yeti is a bit more bling looking with more tube manipulation and better graphics. The 575 also costs considerably less. Go-ride has them for $1299 for the frame. I would not hesitate for a moment to buy a 575...

... except I am not a big bearing-equipped bike aficionado since I live in coastal Alaska and ride in muddy goo pretty much all year and the Turner bushing system pretty much kicks complete ass in the muck. I also like to run a lot of different shocks on my bikes (I have used Romic, RP3, Swinger Air, DHX, etc) and the Turner takes them all. The weight of the frame and size of the tubing on the 575 make me think the bike must be very thin walled and dent prone, but that is just a supposition.

Other than that, I would likely be on a 575. They ride famously.
Wow, an avowed Turner fan saying very nice things about the 575. That carries some weight.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Redmon said:
Ive had 2 bad accidents since I purchased my 575 almost a year ago.... Hardly even a scratch on the paint :)
If you didn't scratch the paint, you didn't hit it that hard. Paint can be tough, but it is no match for rock. Go superman in Moab a few times and then report back ;) .

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
tscheezy said:
If you didn't scratch the paint, you didn't hit it that hard. Paint can be tough, but it is no match for rock. Go superman in Moab a few times and then report back ;) .
Im just reporting the facts, just the facts.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Not Macpherson strut

soulfly_NYC said:
This is only theory!

...but if the weights of both bikes are very close in weight with the RP3 shock, and the Yeti has less moving parts and a less complex suspension design, then wouldn't you think that there is more metal in the places where it is needed for strength on the 575?

The conjoined head tube and hourglass steerer tube on the 575 look to be very strong considering their weight, and I personally prefer it to a gusseted head tube. Also call it a modified single pivot, dogbone, whatever...it is a machpherson strut design which is the same principle used on the porsche 911 and BMW M3 suspension...a simple design with low moving mass that will react and return to equlibrium quickly while giving a smooth ride.

I'm biased because I just ordered a 575, but if i had to say the strengths of the Turner it would definitely be handmade quality. The welds look much nicer on the 5spot and 6pack, and the BB housing looks a bit sturdier. Add up the historical reliability of the Turner (or FSR) design and it is a sweet ride.

Either way you probaby can't go wrong...i would probably have bought a 6-pack if it were the same price as the 575 with the parts I wanted (bought Enduro 20), but the pricing on the Yeti builds is very hard to beat.
The Macpherson-strut is a virtual 4-bar design with the axle/spindal on the "seat stay" of the design. Car suspension has about 2% relation to bike suspension (well maybe a little more).

Motorcycle design is closer, and state of the art is monopivot with telescoping forks using damping and shock leverage for stability.

Like the best perfoming mortorcycles, the Yeti is a monopivot with very optimized monopivot placement, shock linkage, BB height, seat and head angle to produce a very stable handing bike that few multi-links can compare in quality with.

- ray

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
i'd love the yeti except i can't get my mind around that crunked up aluminum tube alignment. i'm a 5 Spot guy.

can't lose either way. have fun.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The Turner has better tire clearance, the shock can be removed in a few seconds with normal tools, and the pivots are crazy-easy to work on. I can replace a pivot in about 10 minutes. It is the wrench-ability of the Turner bushing system that I like so much. Take a peek at the link in my signature...

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
joltz said:
Redmon,
Which color 575 do you have? If its not the raw or black anodized they use powder coating which is pretty durable. I've been told the anodized is a hard anodizing so its durable as well.
I have the 04 model Bling. Im telling ya this bike is almost bomb proof:)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I have ridden both the Spot and 575, along with a new 6 Pack. I find the 575 somewhere in between the two your looking at.

For me personally, I find the fit of the 575 seemed to take a liking to me more so than the 5 Spot. I do feel that both bikes are solid frames and handle very simular. I dont feel like there is any braking differences between the two, and that is one of the edges that usually a FSR bike has over a more simpler single pivot, Yeti designers did an outstanding job creating the 575. I do feel like the 575 can take some big hits, Yeti even says that you can slap a DC fork on 575. Very plush, and climbs great, I sure would like to try a Fox 36 on this frame sometime.

Question, if a RP3 is a no-no on a 6 Pack because of the short stroke, is it the same for the 5 Spot?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.