Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on buying a 575 in the coming weeks, but I'm not sure whether to get a medium or a large. I'm 5'11", 155lbs so I'm right on the border between the two according to Yeti's sizing guidlines. I've ridden the LBS owner's medium 575 in a parking lot, hopping curbs and whatnot. It felt comfortable overall, but I wouldn't mind being more stretched out (especially climbing). I'm guessing the stem was 100mm long. Based upon this, I'm leaning towards getting the large, but somewhat nervous without having ridden one.

Are there any 575 riders out there who are about my size? What size do you ride?

·
a dad
2,919 Posts
i"m about 5'9" and ride a mediam with a shorter stem...i almost went with a small but the difference really wasn't that much between S and M (inch in the top tube, same standover)...i believe the large is 2 inches bigger than the M....you could get a laid back seat post and a bit longer stem and give that a try...if you are dropping the coin at a LBS they should be glad to try some different sizing options for you in regards to stems and seatposts...

·
Adventurous Hacker
438 Posts
Tough call . . .

I'm right at 6' with a 34" inseam. The large with a 100mm stem ended up being perfect for me. One LBS said I should be on a Med and one said I should be on a large. Yet another had enough configurations I could test and decide based on reality not recommendations. Coming from a race-oriented hardtail, I was very comfortable with a stretched out position, especially for climbing, so the medium just wasn't going to work for me, unless I put on an extra long stem, which would alter the bike's otherwise fantastic handling characteristics.

Look at your riding style and the type of riding you plan to do. If you're very cross-country oriented and do a lot of extended climbing, maybe you should go for the large and drop the stem to 90mm. If you plan to do more technical riding (which the 575 is unbelievable at--has me trying stuff I would never have dreamed of before, either on my hardtail or other FS rigs I demoed), the medium should work well--consider moving the stem up to 110 mm and/or using a layback seat post.

Have fun,
Fischman

·
surly inbred
1,539 Posts
5'11" w/33" inseam

I'm on a medium and run a 120mm stem. I think it's perfect for me, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a stretched out set-up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmmmmm

I appreciate the advice from everyone, but you haven't made the decision any easier! I'm gonna have to try the medium again with a layback seatpost and then make my decision. Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
How about the RP3 and weight

Dogboy said:
I'm 5'9" and ride a medium with a 100mm stem.
I am in the same spot- 5.11", but weigh about 180.
I was told that with the above height and weight the RP3 may loose its efficiency (pro-pedal) if I go with the medium (becuase of geometry).
Would the RP3 become a bit weak and loosing its pro-pedal ability?
Any comments or experience?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
doesn't make sense

I don't understand why the pro-pedal wouldn't work right with the medium frame as opposed to the large. The level of pro-pedal platform can be adjusted regardless of frame size. It's also not like the medium frame somehow increases leverage on the shock either.

The only real weight-related issue I see with the frame size would be the ability to control the bike. For instance, it would probably be easier for you at 180 to handle a larger frame than me at 155.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
snufkin said:
I am in the same spot- 5.11", but weigh about 180.
I was told that with the above height and weight the RP3 may loose its efficiency (pro-pedal) if I go with the medium (becuase of geometry).
Would the RP3 become a bit weak and loosing its pro-pedal ability?
Any comments or experience?
That's nonsense. I'm 175 and I ran the RP3 at 10 pounds over my body weight (as Yeti suggests). Perfect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts