Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FWIW

I figured that I have enough miles on my 575 now to make a better comparison to previous and current bikes I have ridden. For reference, the 575 replaced a 5 spot, and shares the stable with a RFX V2.

Fit:
For me at 5'9, the medium 575 is right on. Easy to sling around, get behind the seat, etc. The 5 spot kinda jumps sizes from a 17 to a 19, which makes fitting a 5'9er a compromise between either stem length or seat post setback. The 575 fits about the same as the medium RFX (which is 18").

Climbing:
Honestly, I have been very disappointed with the 575 in this regard. At first, I thought it was as good as the spot, but then I began hitting steeper and more technical stuff. A lot of this difference is probably due to the suspension design, single pivot vs. 4-bar (horst - not the new modified single pivot). Off the cuff, I would say that a lot of energy is lost when the climb gets steep due to the suspension compressing and the chain pulling the rear wheel instead of a pure power transfer. If you climb with PP on, it helps, but you lose the advantage of suppleness. This is my opinion and has no scientific fact to back it up :)

Handling
The 575 is great in this regards, you can rip it around corners, etc. I do notice a lot of "flexing" in the rear though when hammering into a corner. Also, I have had to tighten my pivots several times, which helped. The high bottom bracket really helps, especially getting up and over stuff. I put some I9 wheels on the 575 which are incredibly stiff (and light). This exaggerated any play in the frame. All told, I am happy with the handling though (even with my nit picks). For me it edges out the 5 spot and RFX.

Would I still recommend a 575 over a 5 spot.......I am on the bubble. If you are a climber (I am), and the quality of your ride is determined by how tough of climb you made, then I would lean toward the 5 spot. If you are more into the XCish, fast and furious, even when it gets rough, then the 575 is for you.

Setup:
FF: Marzocchi All Mountain 1 (150mm)
RS: RP23
WS: Industry Nine
Build: Thompson, XT, SRAM


More to come as I thrash it some more.....



RT
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
Thanks for the report!!

I haven't noticed any problems when climbing, but maybe I have not paid enough attention...

from the build description seems like your ride is fully "blinged out".. any pics????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,995 Posts
Funny - climbing steep, technical sections is where I believe the 575 shines.

Wrtaylo, do you climb with your fork set at 150mm? If so, that's a pretty tall fork, especially when considering that Zoke's have longer than typical A-C lengths.

I run an '05 AM SL, and for every day riding I have learned to keep it at 130mm, with one 5mm spacer underneath my 90 - 100mm stem and lo-rise bars.

Ant
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
wrtaylo said:
FWIW

I figured that I have enough miles on my 575 now to make a better comparison to previous and current bikes I have ridden. For reference, the 575 replaced a 5 spot, and shares the stable with a RFX V2.

Fit:
For me at 5'9, the medium 575 is right on. Easy to sling around, get behind the seat, etc. The 5 spot kinda jumps sizes from a 17 to a 19, which makes fitting a 5'9er a compromise between either stem length or seat post setback. The 575 fits about the same as the medium RFX (which is 18").

Climbing:
Honestly, I have been very disappointed with the 575 in this regard. At first, I thought it was as good as the spot, but then I began hitting steeper and more technical stuff. A lot of this difference is probably due to the suspension design, single pivot vs. 4-bar (horst - not the new modified single pivot). Off the cuff, I would say that a lot of energy is lost when the climb gets steep due to the suspension compressing and the chain pulling the rear wheel instead of a pure power transfer. If you climb with PP on, it helps, but you lose the advantage of suppleness. This is my opinion and has no scientific fact to back it up :)

Handling
The 575 is great in this regards, you can rip it around corners, etc. I do notice a lot of "flexing" in the rear though when hammering into a corner. Also, I have had to tighten my pivots several times, which helped. The high bottom bracket really helps, especially getting up and over stuff. I put some I9 wheels on the 575 which are incredibly stiff (and light). This exaggerated any play in the frame. All told, I am happy with the handling though (even with my nit picks). For me it edges out the 5 spot and RFX.

Would I still recommend a 575 over a 5 spot.......I am on the bubble. If you are a climber (I am), and the quality of your ride is determined by how tough of climb you made, then I would lean toward the 5 spot. If you are more into the XCish, fast and furious, even when it gets rough, then the 575 is for you.

Setup:
FF: Marzocchi All Mountain 1 (150mm)
RS: RP23
WS: Industry Nine
Build: Thompson, XT, SRAM

More to come as I thrash it some more.....

RT
I have a 2005 Pike Race on my 575. I have started dialing it down to 120mm to climb and it climbs like a champ. (Of course I have no way of comparing to a 5spot as I have never ridden one)

WHEELS: I am looking at Industry Nines. Which build kit do you have? I need a 20mm front hub so I was thinking the Enduro build -but with the lighter DT SR4.2D Rims. (black hub and rims with raw aluminum spokes, or aluminum, aluminum with black spokes -not sure which would look better on my team color 575 with blk Pike)

Please post pics of your 575 with the Industry Nines!

Thanks
 

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
wrtaylo said:
More to come as I thrash it some more.....
Good, objective review of someone who has ridden two great bikes.

I'd be interested to see your response about if you climb at full travel or not. When I first got my 575, I had some hard times climbing at full travel. I had to make some adjustments to the rise of my bars/stem, but once I got the cockpit a little more dialed to my size/style, I think the 575 is a tremendous climber.

IMO, the 575 climbs better in the rough stuff and not quite as well on the longer, smooth fire road type climbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
Indeed

wrtaylo said:
FWIW
Climbing:
Honestly, I have been very disappointed with the 575 in this regard. At first, I thought it was as good as the spot, but then I began hitting steeper and more technical stuff. A lot of this difference is probably due to the suspension design, single pivot vs. 4-bar (horst - not the new modified single pivot). Off the cuff, I would say that a lot of energy is lost when the climb gets steep due to the suspension compressing and the chain pulling the rear wheel instead of a pure power transfer. If you climb with PP on, it helps, but you lose the advantage of suppleness. This is my opinion and has no scientific fact to back it up :)

Would I still recommend a 575 over a 5 spot.......I am on the bubble. If you are a climber (I am), and the quality of your ride is determined by how tough of climb you made, then I would lean toward the 5 spot. If you are more into the XCish, fast and furious, even when it gets rough, then the 575 is for you.

RT
It is nice to see that you notice the difference in technical climbing between a single pivot and horst: it is also my experience (as well as many others) that there is a real difference in technical situations.

I have a horst 5-spot and I spent a good amount of time comparing it with the single pivot 5-spot that is currently sold. The horst 5-spot is clearly the better climber in technical situations (and it works better in technical downhill, on steps, while braking but those are different stories): the single-pivot 5-spot is definetely a step backward in performance. Too bad one cannot buy a Horst 5-spot any longer ... but there are plenty alternatives! ;) I never treally tested a 575, it has a great reputation, but I still feel that in general single pivots are not state of the art: there are older (Horst) and new designs coming out that seem to be better then a technology that goes back to the late 80s. The fundamental problem for single pivots still remains brake-jack and bobbing: new shocks hide the problems well but not completely and at the cost of lack of compliance at slower speed.

PS I spent a long weekend (3 days) rental comparing my Horst and the faux-bar in the Spring 2006. During the comparison I used 3 shocks: ROMIC with 450 titanium Spring, RP3 standard, and my RP3 PUSH. The review is on the Turner advertisement forum section.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
You probably have, but consider upping the air pressure in the shock a hair. If pressure is too low the bike climbs and behaves a lot differently. When i had a 575 i often tried to squeeze more goosh out of the bike by running lower pressure but all that happened was lots of bobbing and no better plushness. Due to the bikes unique falling- to-rising rate suspension design you really need to be at 25% sag which is 1/2 " at the shock shaft.

Krispy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pics.....

I will try and take some pics tomorrow with the I9 wheelset. I am running kings on my RFX, and the I9s make the king engagement feel sloppy. Expensive wheelset, but man are they awesome.

Some nice pics of the 575 climbing. The thing I really notice is the power over time transisition. With that, I mean I can lay down the power for a short interval on any bike, but to sustain that type of power over time, that is where I feel the difference is between the 575 and old 5spot (SP vs 4 bar). Once again IMO. I run the sag at 25% both front and rear, and generally, have started climbing with the pro pedal in "1" setting.

It sounds like I am bashing the bike, I am really not, overall I am happy with it at the price point. I switch the shock off between a vanilla 140 and the zocchi, so no real diff's in my opinion on climbing.

Like i said, I will try and get some pics up tomorrow.

RT
 

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
wrtaylo said:
It sounds like I am bashing the bike, I am really not, overall I am happy with it at the price point. I switch the shock off between a vanilla 140 and the zocchi, so no real diff's in my opinion on climbing.
I didn't think so at all. When you become so biased that you can't hear someone's objective criticism of the bike, then you have a serious problem.

I'm always interested to hear about people's experiences with the bike either good or bad. Doesn't mean I'll agree 100% with them, but terrain and riding style are two variables that are certainly important enough to change someone's outlook on a bike, regardless of how good it is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
My TNT rear

Davide said:
It is nice to see that you notice the difference in technical climbing between a single pivot and horst, because there is a real difference.

I have a horst 5-spot and I spent a good amount of time comparing it with the single pivot 5-spot that is currently sold. The horst 5-spot is clearly the better climber in technical situations (and it works better in technical downhill, on steps, while braking but those are different stories): the single-pivot 5-spot is definetely a step backward in performance. Too bad one cannot buy a Horst 5-spot any longer ... but there are plenty alternatives! ;)
My TNT rear climbs more efficient than the Horst Link. You arethe ultimate moron. You have never tried the TNT rear so shut the F up once and for all.

By the way. I went from a Yeti 575 to a 5 spot. The 5 spot is a lot faster pedaling on flats and on climbs. the yeti was really plush on the dh, but man it was a pig on the climbs. I have a TNT bike as well and it feels stiffer than the HL.

I would take a 2007 5.5 spot over a yeti anytime. The spot is a superbike.

OH and this is agood one. The guy I sold the yeti to, PMed me to ask me for warranty info because his 575 snapped in two. :thumbsup:

Davide - PLease post your imaginary ibis mojo that you do not have please...
 

·
Five is right out
Joined
·
3,176 Posts
wrtaylo said:
It sounds like I am bashing the bike, I am really not, overall I am happy with it at the price point. I switch the shock off between a vanilla 140 and the zocchi, so no real diff's in my opinion on climbing.

RT
It didn't sound like bashing at all- thanks for the review. Interesing observation regarding climbing, just wish I had another bike to compare my 575 to.
 

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
Good review on the bike-to-bike comparison. I didn't think it sounded like you were bashing the 575 at all - just giving us your informed and objective opinion. Nice work, even if you are obviously a paid shill for the horst lobby... ::grin::
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seat

Actually, I dont usualy ride with it like that, I was goofing around with how seat position (fore - aft) affects the front suspension performance. I tried moving it forward an inch last ride, kinda interesting. Front shock was a little more compliant, both on the Turner and the Yeti. Riding it like that for a prolonged time is a good way to bend the chro-mo seat rails.......

RT
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,810 Posts
wrtaylo said:
Actually, I dont usualy ride with it like that, I was goofing around with how seat position (fore - aft) affects the front suspension performance. I tried moving it forward an inch last ride, kinda interesting. Front shock was a little more compliant, both on the Turner and the Yeti. Riding it like that for a prolonged time is a good way to bend the chro-mo seat rails.......

RT
Ah ok... :thumbsup: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
wrtaylo said:
FWIW
Climbing:
Honestly, I have been very disappointed with the 575 in this regard. At first, I thought it was as good as the spot, but then I began hitting steeper and more technical stuff. A lot of this difference is probably due to the suspension design, single pivot vs. 4-bar (horst - not the new modified single pivot).
RT
Thank you for the review. But could it be that the 5 spot has a better fit for you given that you have owned it for a longer period? Similarly, your riding style and body language may be more tuned to the 5 Spot. I am nearly convinced that the performance of current single pivots such as the new sc superlight and the 575 are so close to the horst link that it is not possible to measure the performance differences subjectively. Hence, it may be that the 5 Spot has a feel and geometry that suits your riding style.

I agree about the flexy rear. It doesn't bother me but it is definitely not as stiff as the ML and 5 Spot.
 

·
EDR
Joined
·
10,595 Posts
wrtaylo said:
As promised..........if you want I can throw in a "tnt" comparison also (06 RFX V2)........

The wheelset photos did not turn out to great........

RT
Your opinion (review) is not bashing. Nice job.

BTW the rear brake housing should be run on the inside of the seatstay. You probably know this and have some personal reason for the change so........never mind.
 

·
Young, Shawn Young
Joined
·
3,165 Posts
In the short, burst up, technical riding areas the 575 is a godsend. I can get up and over many things that my friends dont. On the long climbs I really have to concentrate on pedal stroke to increase efficiency. Im still toying with getting the rp32 to see if thats any better of a shock than the rp3
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top